IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

2 edits

[Caps] Are they really necessary?

From »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/

Q. You previously said you needed the cap to manage your network capacity and provide a great customer experience, so how can you suspend it?
A. We've repeatedly said that as the marketplace and technology evolved we would continuously evaluate customer data usage, and a variety of other factors, and make adjustments to our high-speed Internet service. So, we've decided to change our data usage management approach and replace our current 250 GB usage threshold with more flexible, consumer-friendly approaches

-----

That was a bit of a dodge there Comcast... Answer the question honestly. Just because you say that you "repeatedly" said something doesn't make it more honest or transparent. You finally came around, I'm sure just before the FCC phoned you, but you're just too proud to admit that this was a bunch of BS all along.

This usage cap was never about addressing congestion. That's what you had a real-time congestion management system for. You jumped the shark with the XBox Xfinity App. You should have just made it count against the 250GB cap... Why didn't you? Perhaps that cap was too low... Nah... couldn't be that.

Enjoy your cord-cutters. They're coming.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

IPPlanMan,

Very good points. It sounds like Comcast can provide unlimited download/upload traffic on it's private internet to XBox 360 owners (as well as Business Class subscribers) without any congestion.

So, where's the congestion that needs caps to manage internet traffic? It certainly can't be their own "intranet" nor can it be the backbone providers like Level 3, AT&T, Verizon, etc.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

The Comcast 250GB cap was a farce all along. It didn't do anything to manage real-time congestion, which is the main issue facing any network. Instead, it prevented people from using the Internet in a manner that would replace traditional TV services.

Comcast finally jumped the shark when the XBox app data wasn't subject to the cap.

Of course, at this point Comcast is expecting us to be grateful that they did anything to raise the cap further. It's like taking someone to the desert and giving them a glass of water... best water they ever tasted!
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by IPPlanMan:

The Comcast 250GB cap was a farce all along. It didn't do anything to manage real-time congestion, which is the main issue facing any network. Instead, it prevented people from using the Internet in a manner that would replace traditional TV services.

Comcast finally jumped the shark when the XBox app data wasn't subject to the cap....

A cogent summary, one of the best I've read.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3

said by camper:

said by IPPlanMan:

Comcast finally jumped the shark when the XBox app data wasn't subject to the cap....

A cogent summary, one of the best I've read.

Indeed... I wonder why Comcast pursued the Xbox app in the first place,,, do they charge a lot for it??

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

time for 300gb cap and overage fees...
rediculous
I can easily do that.
Reformat pc, install steam games, and download my 50gig dropbox folder.

Like hell I can seed lunix distros, which I like to seed 24/7.

There is no technical reason, they have like 8 downstreams in some areas and 4 upstreams.

rip people who actually use the internet

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

I see a huge conflict of interest with caps and innovation. Cloud services will never take off if caps remain low. 250GB is reasonable but not for long, same with 300GB. With the growth of internet services, consumers will go through bandwidth without noticing.

As stated before me, caps don't do anything in combating congestion. caps are there to prevent people from fully utilizing their service.

Expand your moderator at work

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: [Caps] Are they really necessary?

History is great in that we commit ourselves to constantly repeat it.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to IPPlanMan

What's curious is that the issue of congestion is not 100% correlated to usage.
A 1TB user (if offered say, free, unmetered 12M-6AM) would have no impact on the network, yet if every 10GB/mo user happened to stream their one netflix movie at 8PM, there'd be an issue.

The real question to me, is how much bandwidth the nodes actually have. If my neighbors all get on at once, what BW can we expect?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

[att=1]

History is great in that we commit ourselves to constantly repeat it.

David Cohen, executive vice president for Comcast:
"We didn't like the message that we were giving our customers with the static 250GB cap," he said. "Now, we are sending a signal to our customers that we want them to use our broadband service and to feel free to use it for all lawful purposes. We want them to subscribe to Netflix and stream YouTube and use Skype to their heart's content without worrying about hitting some artificial data cap that results in them losing their service."

Not my words. Theirs.

Dead horse? More like I was right about this being an artificial data cap all along.
--

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IPPlanMan

What I think this really does is increase the costs for the folks on non congested nodes. Yaknow the ones on here bragging about using 1 or 2T and not hearing a peep. Now they will hafta pay for what they use and Comcast can monetize those that refuse to pay more for higher usage. As I see it the choice is clear as it has been all along, If ya need that bandwidth get Business Class pay for it. Probably gonna be cheaper than paying overages.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

More like I was right about this being an artificial data cap all along.

All along? Comcast just completed the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout this year. Do you honestly believe it's completely unrelated that they finished a major infrastructure upgrade to increase capacity across their entire service footprint and now they're talking about changes to how they approach capacity management?

People talk about the cap halting innovation, and I think they are right but not in the way they probably intended. Compare this thread to one that was started in 2007 / 2008 and there is no difference. It's the same tired arguments over and over and over again.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

said by espaeth:

All along? Comcast just completed the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout this year. Do you honestly believe it's completely unrelated that they finished a major infrastructure upgrade to increase capacity across their entire service footprint and now they're talking about changes to how they approach capacity management?

People talk about the cap halting innovation, and I think they are right but not in the way they probably intended. Compare this thread to one that was started in 2007 / 2008 and there is no difference. It's the same tired arguments over and over and over again.

When David Cohen, Executive VP at Comcast uses the term "artificial data cap" in reference to its own Internet product/service, I don't think your conclusion is supported by the evidence.

It's not the same arguments over and over again. It's a new paradigm now, because it's clear that the wool was pulled over our eyes by Comcast since this cap was enacted in October 2008, under false pretenses for what it was supposedly addressing. Again, "artificial data cap" - Not my words - Comcast verbatim.

As I've said before, here come the cord cutters. Let me know if your Internet gets slower.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by IPPlanMan:

When David Cohen, Executive VP at Comcast uses the term "artificial data cap" in reference to its own Internet product/service, I don't think your conclusion is supported by the evidence.

I went over the math behind this last year: »Re: [Caps] the dreaded call - 1,817G (yet again showing nothing in this discussion is new)

I referenced Comcast technical publications, not off-the-cuff statements from management. The CEO of Comcast apparently said today that the cap was going to be 350 gigabit. This is why you focus on technical facts, not the ramblings of people in management spewing words to the media.

said by IPPlanMan:

As I've said before, here come the cord cutters. Let me know if your Internet gets slower.

I would be more concerned if there was true parity between current pay TV offerings and what can be consumed online. "I don't need cable because I have Netflix" is a false dichotomy -- the direct content type overlap is actually pretty small. You're not going to watch local news, local weather, or live events on Netflix. Clearly those are not universally required by everyone, but enough people still care about that stuff to fuel consumption of the service.