All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to Acct101

to Acct101

Re: New HD channels coming anytime soon?

They really don't need that much more space when you think about it .....
As far as non-sports/non-premium HD's that Fios only has currently avail in SD,
There's what, perhaps 6-10 that anyone is requesting (BBC, HLN, GSN, STYLE, TVLand, CARTOON ect..)
More than half of them could probably be added right away, simply from the announced .TV's switch to MPEG 4 ..
Switch just a few more existing channels, Prems & Forign to MP4 & Re-Jigger a few QAMs, & they could probably add them all, including any addtnl HD Sports/Prems, & the remaining non carried adds (NASA) ....
Steve3
join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Steve3

I am sure that more HD channels will be added. That is why they are moving to mpeg4. I remember years ago, they did a couple of big additions, and will probably do the same. It is a competitive industry, and more channels attract more customers.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600

said by Steve3:

I am sure that more HD channels will be added. That is why they are moving to mpeg4. I remember years ago, they did a couple of big additions, and will probably do the same. It is a competitive industry, and more channels attract more customers.

Not really, that's why they've done nothing about it.
said by sbernstein5:

Read between the lines "don't involve conversion of existing channels" can easily be read as "new channels will be added as MPEG4"

Given that poster came out of nowhere, I'll stick with our regulars, who have said some channels will move.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to Steve3

to Steve3
said by Steve3:

It is a competitive industry, and more channels attract more customers.

Do you see any provider advertising their number or breadth of HD channels anymore? I can't think of one. If that's what attracted customers, they would be.

Around here, it's Comcast, Verizon and satellite. None of them say much about the number of HD channels in their ads. It's all features, and Verizon's feature is the quality, not quantity, of the channels.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600
Greg-
Trust Hot Stuff...they may be new to the board, but are in the know.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to knarf829

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

said by Steve3:

It is a competitive industry, and more channels attract more customers.

Do you see any provider advertising their number or breadth of HD channels anymore? I can't think of one.

Yes.
Got a fios ad in the mail & it says the plan has 275+ channels including 75+ HD.
WhatsHot
join:2012-05-10

WhatsHot to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Thanks, JeepMatt.

I don't know that Verizon will never convert existing channels, I just know they won't this or next year. My understanding is that doing so was initially a consideration, but for many complicated reasons, it came off the table.

I would make the observation that Verizon's recent additions seem to reflect that they understand the need to add HD content. If I knew nothing, I'd assume Verizon isn't going to suddenly un-understand that.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy

said by WhatsHot:

I don't know that Verizon will never convert existing channels, I just know they won't this or next year

ouch!...painful...makes me give serious consideration to switching back to RCN