Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Jobbie

Re: Anyone playing DayZ Arma 2 mod?

said by Jobbie:

Totally agree with what is written above it is amazing how sucka great mod makes a gray game go to the top of the lists.
I believe the Arma II developers are now working with DayZ to make it a better it also nails the point of the freedom we want on our games vs heavily scripted ones..

I read the Arma II devs have hired the writer of the mod and a complete DayZ game mode will be offered with Arma III. I don't have a link at the momennt, just going off of memory.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

Totally agree with what is written above it is amazing how sucka great mod makes a gray game go to the top of the lists.
I believe the Arma II developers are now working with DayZ to make it a better it also nails the point of the freedom we want on our games vs heavily scripted ones..

Not just mods, but including a level editor goes a great ways towards increasing the fun aspect of the game.

Does ANYONE here remember the Descent series? I remember Descent I, II, III and Levels of the World (LotW). LotW took around 100 of the top Descent maps and included them on one CDROM (this was in the age of dial-up and 128k and such). I played through Descent, but LotW just turned it into a new game, especially maps with non-Newtonian physics and such. It was pretty f'ing awesome.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Descent was the shit! Good old Modem days.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
Descen, Hexxen, Duke Nukem man so many hours of good fun.

Don't dare to pick up that damn phone!!!!!
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Samus82
said by Samus82:

First off the install of this mod is convoluted.

Can't argue this one. It took me the better part of a full day to get this damn mod running. It was definitely a pain in the ass.

said by Samus82:

Next, in game the controls are not very well thought out. Buttons are in weird spots and control is not very good.

My best analogy for this one would be someone familiar with MSPaint making the same complaint about Photoshop. I really do no think the controls are poorly thought out, I think it's just because there are so many things you can do. Getting comfortable with the mouse wheel selection screen is a big thing. Also, I found remapping keys to be easy and intuitive and a great help for actions I perform more often than other.

said by Samus82:

The inventory buttons and configuration is BEYOND clunky and almost just plain frustrating.

I agree. My biggest thing about this one is switching back and for between opening and closing your pack. Not sure if we have to wait for ArmaIII on this one, or if it can be fixed by mod.

said by Samus82:

Needs to also get a trade system, if there is one we haven't figured how to do it

You haven't figured out how to do it. It can only be pack-->pack but you can open anyone else's pack you want, even hostiles and steal stuff out of their packs without them knowing it.

said by Samus82:

Swing an ax and you look like you have palsy, the hitboxes are also off.

I haven't heard many people claim the animations are top notch in this game. I also read some dev interviews where they say that was one of their big things they wanted to improved in ArmaIII. Not sure about the hit boxes. I think you're a bad aim.

said by Samus82:

Next, and one of my biggest gripes is, you can hardly go into any buildings. And the biggest bitch of them all is that you dont know what ones you can go into until you actually go up to them.

Sure, I'd love to be able to go into all of them also, but this one kinda is what it is. My frustration was lowered a bit when I realized there are only about 15-20 building models in the whole game. Take time to learn them and it makes raiding/looting a town much easier.

said by Samus82:

Next is, there is really no explanation for anything. My friends and i have died of thirst about 15 times.

If you have played for a week and haven't found a can of Pepsi, I'm not sure what to tell you. lol

said by Samus82:

There also needs to be a map system of some kind

There is. It's a loot item just like a can beans that you apparently have not had an opportunity to find yet.

said by Samus82:

But if you are gonna play with friends why not be able to start out in the same spot?

Sorry, going to have to sound like a raging fanboi here and say no thanks to LFG in DayZ please.

said by Samus82:

And all the zombies always around the water spigots its stupid.

There are zombies around every loot spot. That's pretty much the core of the gameplay. You said you didn't have a canteen anyway, so skip the spigot. lol

said by Samus82:

Not to mention i love making a new guy , only to be sniped when i take 2 steps forward.

That sucks. Abort-->Disconnect-->OK. Try again.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The rage is strong with this one. Also, his tears are sweet.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to Screavics
I am trying hard to get into the game. It's got great atmosphere for sure. I have yet to find a damn weapon though. I find tons of ammo, lots of bandages, sodas, blood transfusions, stimpaks, knives, axes and such but not a single damn weapon.

I've seen other people running around just shooting the place up, but I'll be damned if I can find a fucking weapon.

I get my bearings once the game loads up, I check out the various loot spots, it's almost always ammo, car parts or empty cans.

Any tips or suggestions on how to find some damn weapons?
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
Deer stands... sometimes residentials hold pistols of some sort. Or grocery stores.

While you are learning just join small to medium servers with 8-14 people until you get the hang of things. The chances you'll run into someone are slim and it will allow you to at least get some gear. Then you can venture to higher pop servers the braver you are feeling.

If you can find a buddy to tag along with it works great for one to over watch while the other loots. Also helps if one dies the other can give a hand on finding weapons/dispatching zombies.

said by cyrus360:

I am trying hard to get into the game. It's got great atmosphere for sure. I have yet to find a damn weapon though. I find tons of ammo, lots of bandages, sodas, blood transfusions, stimpaks, knives, axes and such but not a single damn weapon.

I've seen other people running around just shooting the place up, but I'll be damned if I can find a fucking weapon.

I get my bearings once the game loads up, I check out the various loot spots, it's almost always ammo, car parts or empty cans.

Any tips or suggestions on how to find some damn weapons?

--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to cyrus360
The best damn zombie dispatcher out their is a hatchet.. Use it!

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
Here's my review of Day Z.

So I picked up Arma 2 Combined ops during the Steam summer sale and gave it a go last night with Day Z. After a few hours of getting everything setup properly and doing basic training in arma 2( which everyone should do before attempting Day Z), I was loading into my first zombie experience. (six launcher highly reccommended for install)

My first attempt I died after about 15 minutes and found no gear, weapons or had any clue where I was going. I only lasted 15 minutes because I was walking around so cautiously. The next hour was more of the same and I did not feel to impressed. But after playing for a few more hours everything began to become second nature and I started grasping the concept.

The game change for me was when the sun started setting and it got dark. I thought my graphic settings were messed up because I could not see shit, but then I found my flashlight! your really not supposed to be able to see shit! This added an entire new element to the game that I have not experienced in a long long time. So I spent the rest of the night running around in the dark swapping flashlights with hatchets and I started to become more confident as i slashed zombies apart. I can now find a weapon and basic gear within ten minutes of spawning just about everytime. Be risky at the beginning, if you die you dont lose too much. I am excited to try again in the daytime now. For those that are getting frustrated, Just keep playing and you will get the hang of it. Dont walk into this game thinking it's COD or BF3 with zombies, it's realistic so treat it as such.. If you jump out of a car going 55 you will die in this game!

After day 1 I am very impressed with Day Z. Not so much Arma 2, but the mod itself. Arma 2 has mediocre graphics, clunky ui, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, but that's not what Day Z is about. The concept is absolutely amazing! Almost FPS MMO-ish. Playing with some friends makes it that much more enjoyable. a Buddy and I were on steam chat trying to locate each other in game (which took forever!) but when we found each other it was an accomplishment of it's own. This game kind of reminds of playing resident evil for the first time way back when. 5 bullets and stuff jumping out at you all around! It has given me that "new game\new experience" feeling which I havent had in a very long time either.

If you are a gaming nerd like me and dont mind the setup, then I definately reccomend it. If you worried about your COD K/D ratio and do not know what Direct X is, then wait for the final release and dont bother right now. I think it's more enjoyable than most games out today. The rest of arma is kind of Meh to me, but maybe after this i'll enjoy it more as I will be more familiar with the interface. And try to remember that this game is in alpha stage at this point, so there are bugs and what not. Too many negative reviews from people who expected a multi-million dollar funded game.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I was fortunate, using the Six Launcher I went from having never played Arma II to being in DayZ in about 10 minutes. i spawned when it was night out and crawled around for about an hour, found a Makarov magazine, then climbed to the top of a crane to get my bearings as dawn broke.

I climbed back down and crawled to about a hundred yards away from the tower when a zombie made a beeline for me from across town. I have no idea how I got his attention as I was practically on top of other zombies the whole time. I suspect it was a glitch. Anyways, seeing as how I just had a hachet I couldn't equip, a cross bolt, and the pistol magazine, I died. Finding a usable weapon is definitely a challenge.

The game is still pretty buggy (I almost bled to death after crawling up some stone stairs, perhaps they had punji sticks on them), but I look forward to seeing how it will turn out.

They definitely have a great formula going.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
To equip the hatchet you have to right click it and select "remove from toolbelt", then you can place it in your weapon slot. Same goes for the Flashlight. This is one of the Weird Arma 2 ui things.

The hatchet works great as a primary weapon. It's silent and kills quickly. I have found it to be more effective than rifles and handguns, they attract too much attention! I think alot of people are not figuring out how to get it out of their toolbelts, maybe that's why it's not used as much. I dunno.

I tried Six launcher the first night and ended up with the battleye errors, so I installed the long manual way and was able to play, but load times were horrendus. I went back and tried six launcher again after a complete reinstall and it worked great the last time. I think the key is you have to open both Arma 2, then Arma 2 operation arrowhead/combined ops before you try and run six launcher. Atleast that's what I did the last time and it seamed to work...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
lol yup. I definitely died then because I couldn't equip the weapon.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Krisnatharok
I've also learned never to crawl over steps, or even entranceways to buildings. Definite bug there. I've died twice.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Screavics
Don't open doors while you're prone either. Broke a leg doing that also. Luckily it was a door in a barracks and the room I opened had morphine in it. Very lucky.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Watched my BIL play for about an hour last night. He spawned when it was pitch-black out and he went around with his flashlight on everywhere. I guess zombies can't see light, because they were almost stepping on him with his light on.

He ended up picking up some 45 ammo and a 45 revolver, then died because he charged a zombie while forgetting to *load* the gun. He ended up throwing road flares at them. Pretty funny.
--

Gundy
Premium
reply to Screavics
Spent the night looting helicopters and the NW airfield with my two other buddies. Came out with 2x NVG's, m4 silenced, gps, and an AS50. I provide overwatch for my team with my AS50 while they loot, has worked really well so far.

Found a tent too so now we begin the selection of picking a home base server. I'd like to find a vehicle too, we've always came up dry when looking for them.

This game is just to much fun especially for being in Alpha. Yes there are bugs, and you'll learn to avoid them. When you do the game really shines.
--

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Screavics
For those of you playing this game, are your load times to get into the game ridiculously long? I was just wondering if there was something on the hardware side I could do to help reduce this time or if everyone was experiencing it. I don't have an SSD, but my CPU and GPU are pretty solid.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
It's definitely on the BF3 side of things, but Arma doesn't load that quickly either, and this is an alpha on top of that.

I keep all my Steam games on my HDD--I don't think you can split them between an SSD and HDD without manually moving stuff and ending up with broken links in Steam and bad installs.
--

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to Screavics
I am running a top end machine and the load times are crazy long, I think it's server dependent sometimes. Sometimes I am in within 2 minutes, other times it takes 5+ minutes.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

bionicRod
Premium
united state
I played again tonight after taking a few weeks off and yes, the load times tonight were way longer than what I experienced before.

Had a fun night though. The first time I spawned something weird happened and I ended up in a big flat plain with two other motionless soldiers. There was no ocean, building or trees around. It was surreal. I left the server after running for a couple minutes and the scenery never changing.

Second spawn I had some good drops: got a hatchet (these things are everywhere) and a map and some binoculars. Love the hatchet, killed 35 zombies with it before I lost too much blood to continue. Hated to lose that map.

Third spawn I again found a hatchet right off the bat. I'm being a little more careful and picked up a M1911 and three mags before turning in for the night. I think I'm going to stick with the hatchet for zombie killing as it doesn't attract everything in the near vicinity when you use it. The M1911 is for home protection while on the road.

TL/DR: Day Z is still fun.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to cyrus360
said by cyrus360:

I think it's server dependent sometimes.

I played around with it more last night and this definitely appears to be the case.

I do like the new DayZ load screen.

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I want to play this mod and was ready to buy what I needed to play plus then download the mod but then I saw the problems they are having right now with graphical glitches in the game. Crazy stuff when you get near barbed wire fences and more. Sorry but no way I am I going to play this til this kind of stuff is cleared up.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
It *is* in Alpha right now. And a shit ton of fun regardless.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

I saw the problems they are having right now with graphical glitches in the game.

Not really the thing to focus on in my opinion. I mean yeah, it needs to be addressed, but it's far from a game breaking thing. It's something you experience a very small percentage of the time.

I did experience my first script hacker last night though. I had been watching some videos on YouTube just yesterday so I would know what to look for and even practiced hitting my Alt-F4 buttons while I was loading the game (I've never Alt-F4'd before). Well, I'll be damned if I wasn't looting an FN-FAL from a chopper and not 20s after I pick it up, I get teleported. I fumble for my Alt-F4 and fat fingered it. I think I Alt-F3'd. lol. Anyway, I died. I did have time to save myself though I think if I hadn't fumble my keys.

I did discover that immediately after a server wipe is an excellent time to regear though.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Screavics
Just read over on pcgamer that DayZ is not going to be part of ARMA3 after all but is instead going to be developed as a standalone game:

»pcgamer.com/2012/08/07/dayz-bein···eginning

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Screavics
This was probably an inevitable thing given (in my opinion) 2 things. The wild popularity of the mod and the hackers.

If one million people have played the mod, why not have 1 million people turn around and pay another $60 for a full stand alone game? Duh.

And part of the entire core of the Arma engine is to allow it to be easily scripted by the user. You can't have that and fix the hacker problem at the same time.

Gundy
Premium
reply to Screavics
So stoked about this standalone development. I haven't experienced any hackers since the entire time I have been playing. And I've played on some full servers as well as medium populations.

I hope Rocket gets the resources he needs to push patches out to fix stuff abit quicker. The hacker rampage that I've been hearing about seems to be getting worse and worse, which hopefully the main cure for this is the standalone version.
--

wrxrxtn

join:2000-12-13
Seal Beach, CA
reply to Screavics
Has anyone tried out the new map "Fallujah"? Good stuff!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
Tried to connect to a server several times with no luck.