bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to cyrus360

Re: Anyone playing DayZ Arma 2 mod?

I played again tonight after taking a few weeks off and yes, the load times tonight were way longer than what I experienced before.

Had a fun night though. The first time I spawned something weird happened and I ended up in a big flat plain with two other motionless soldiers. There was no ocean, building or trees around. It was surreal. I left the server after running for a couple minutes and the scenery never changing.

Second spawn I had some good drops: got a hatchet (these things are everywhere) and a map and some binoculars. Love the hatchet, killed 35 zombies with it before I lost too much blood to continue. Hated to lose that map.

Third spawn I again found a hatchet right off the bat. I'm being a little more careful and picked up a M1911 and three mags before turning in for the night. I think I'm going to stick with the hatchet for zombie killing as it doesn't attract everything in the near vicinity when you use it. The M1911 is for home protection while on the road.

TL/DR: Day Z is still fun.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to cyrus360
said by cyrus360:

I think it's server dependent sometimes.

I played around with it more last night and this definitely appears to be the case.

I do like the new DayZ load screen.

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I want to play this mod and was ready to buy what I needed to play plus then download the mod but then I saw the problems they are having right now with graphical glitches in the game. Crazy stuff when you get near barbed wire fences and more. Sorry but no way I am I going to play this til this kind of stuff is cleared up.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
It *is* in Alpha right now. And a shit ton of fun regardless.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

I saw the problems they are having right now with graphical glitches in the game.

Not really the thing to focus on in my opinion. I mean yeah, it needs to be addressed, but it's far from a game breaking thing. It's something you experience a very small percentage of the time.

I did experience my first script hacker last night though. I had been watching some videos on YouTube just yesterday so I would know what to look for and even practiced hitting my Alt-F4 buttons while I was loading the game (I've never Alt-F4'd before). Well, I'll be damned if I wasn't looting an FN-FAL from a chopper and not 20s after I pick it up, I get teleported. I fumble for my Alt-F4 and fat fingered it. I think I Alt-F3'd. lol. Anyway, I died. I did have time to save myself though I think if I hadn't fumble my keys.

I did discover that immediately after a server wipe is an excellent time to regear though.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Screavics
Just read over on pcgamer that DayZ is not going to be part of ARMA3 after all but is instead going to be developed as a standalone game:

»pcgamer.com/2012/08/07/dayz-bein···eginning

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Screavics
This was probably an inevitable thing given (in my opinion) 2 things. The wild popularity of the mod and the hackers.

If one million people have played the mod, why not have 1 million people turn around and pay another $60 for a full stand alone game? Duh.

And part of the entire core of the Arma engine is to allow it to be easily scripted by the user. You can't have that and fix the hacker problem at the same time.

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to Screavics
So stoked about this standalone development. I haven't experienced any hackers since the entire time I have been playing. And I've played on some full servers as well as medium populations.

I hope Rocket gets the resources he needs to push patches out to fix stuff abit quicker. The hacker rampage that I've been hearing about seems to be getting worse and worse, which hopefully the main cure for this is the standalone version.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

wrxrxtn

join:2000-12-13
Seal Beach, CA
reply to Screavics
Has anyone tried out the new map "Fallujah"? Good stuff!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
Tried to connect to a server several times with no luck.

wrxrxtn

Seal Beach, CA
How are you trying to connect?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Using the third party program recommended on the page. I get stuck at creating character.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

wrxrxtn

Seal Beach, CA
Oh okay. Looks like dayzcommander just updated with Fallujah support. I've been running it with steam launch options pointing to @Fallujah.

hmm, is it happening on all servers?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Yeah happening on all servers I am using SixUpdater to run the mod.

wrxrxtn

Seal Beach, CA
reply to Screavics
try dayzcommander. It's A LOT better.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Screavics

DayZ Public Alpha Release Set For December 2012

The standalone version of Dean Hall ' s DayZ mod for Arma 2 will be released for puchase in alpha form by December 2012 , the mod' s creator confirmed in an appearance at Eurogamer Expo ( via Eurogamer) . Hall promised that it will be " cheap" since he' ll be following the Minecraft model of releasing an unfinished game and developing it as the community helps to highlight what works and what doesn't .

Hall stressed that December isn' t just the targeted release window, it' s a necessity. " We' ve decided that we don ' t need to sell a heap of units in order for us to be OK with where it' s going, " he explained. " The more units we sell of it, the more ambitious we get, because the project has better resources. "

It 's a bit like a Kickstarter in that way, only the money you'll spend buys you an actual product right then and there . It' s just going to be an unfinished work - in- progress, but that certainly didn' t seem to hurt Minecraft as Mojang evolved it from its rough alpha state into the global sensation that it' s become .

»www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7···ber-2012

As someone who shelled out the $40 for combined ops just for DayZ, I don't know if this is good or not. No installers or updaters will be nice though. I will be buying it. Edited to fix stupid phone formatting.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I havem't been able to play I always stuck on the "Connecting" screen using both downloaders wont resolve my problem.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Jobbie:

I havem't been able to play I always stuck on the "Connecting" screen using both downloaders wont resolve my problem.

I do think it's good that it will presumably be easier to play. I'm just whining about paying for the same thing twice since I have no interest in Arma II by itself. Sucks worse for you, you paid for it and haven't even been able to play.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Yeah, just like you I don't care for ARMA II as a FPS (BL2 FTW!) but wanted to check all the DayZ funsies.

Really frustrating.
--

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to Screavics
I used to play it.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

Yeah, just like you I don't care for ARMA II as a FPS (BL2 FTW!) but wanted to check all the DayZ funsies.

That does suck. Fortunately for me, I absolutely loved Operation Flashpoint and was pretty excited when I realized ARMAII was actually like OP#3 or whatever. I've also started following ARMAIII which looks spectacular.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
said by Dissembled:

said by Jobbie:

That does suck. Fortunately for me, I absolutely loved Operation Flashpoint and was pretty excited when I realized ARMAII was actually like OP#3 or whatever. I've also started following ARMAIII which looks spectacular.

I've hear good things about ARMA III and will check it out for sure.
--