spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7

Encrypted Connection

I wonder if connected to FTP encrypted attracts to much Attention and also what are the benefits if I go that route duz this mean nobody can know what I'm downloading ??
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

4 edits

the cerberus

LOL well, what are you talking about? SFTP, FTPS?
And what does this question have to do with Rogers?
It is better suited for the Canadian Broadband forum.
I have no idea what you mean by attracts attention. Currently, NO AUTHORITY IS WARENTLESSLY WIRETAPPING YOU (well not legally anyways). Who are you hiding from?

Rogers does not throttle FTP either.

Whatever you do inside an ssl connection is encrypted so the bytes are hidden

BUT

say you request a file at a certain location, the name of that file is not hidden, because the request is sent in plain text.

Similarly, say you log into your email on an https server, then request to connect to the server is not hidden (for example »gmail.com) but your email is encrypted, and the POST variables like username and password.

Conversely if a secure server uses GET variables they will be sent in plain text, which is not hidden.

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7

FTPS and VPN
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

Well, if the VPN is encrypted, all requests are made through the VPN would be hidden to the ISP, but still you would have the same problem with the VPN provider being able to log where you went/the name of the files you download, and all GET variables (anything sent in plain text).

Judging by your other thread all you care about is speed. FTPS and VPN each add a layer of overhead that are just going to slow you down further.