spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Country_HSI

join:2012-05-18

[Speed] Powerboost on the Business Class HSI?

Is the 'powerboost' feature utilized on the business class HSI? I'm debating which service to order between Blast! and Business class starter. They are both about the same price and have similar overall connection speeds but 'powerboost' is making the Blast! residential service seem like the best choice.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
I have BCI and speed tests show powerboost.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Country_HSI
said by Country_HSI:

Is the 'powerboost' feature utilized on the business class HSI?

For 12/2 and 22/5 tiers, PowerBoost is enabled. In fact, it is a much more generous boost than is provided for the similar residential tiers.

Here is a Comcast speed test that I just did (I have the 12/2 service):

I think however, that the 50mbps and 100mbps downstream tiers do not get PowerBoost (perhaps someone on those tiers can post and confirm/dispute that).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Country_HSI

join:2012-05-18
Wow, the business class looks like the way to go. Thanks!

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to Country_HSI
It sure is. I'm on the 22/5 business class package; here's a speed test I just did:

This is with 4 bonded QAM256 channels in the downlink and one QAM64 channel on the uplink.

The speedboost download speeds are usually a bit faster than this, not that it really matters at these rates .

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to Country_HSI
I'm close to Netfixer's location, and subscribe to the 12/2 biz plan. Here's what I get with the SMC D3G gateway testing to the Nashville server:

So, yep - Speedboost it is - which lasts longer (in my experience) than Speedboost on a residential connection.

I'd love to have Netfixer's download, but I'll keep my upload -

keason
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

3 edits
reply to Country_HSI
I have the 22/5 BC package using a Motorola SB6120. 4x256 download channels, single 64 upload channel. When we had upstream bonding, I often would see 85x40. Unlike DrDeke I rarely get uploads above 8Mbps on my node, but the download speed is typical.

Also, the free exchange accounts are great for syncing your phone, laptop and tablets.

btalbott

join:2003-12-25
Elkton, MD
22/5 here as well.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Country_HSI
12/2 san jose SMCd3

DOCSYS3 really is pretty awesome. If only those were sustained speeds
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
22/5 business class here. The new Fios (50/25 for $99) would be better but I will take what I can get.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Country_HSI
Here's my results. Crazy Powerboost up here, although 16/2 is still the fastest business tier currently available here . PB runs out in roughly two seconds, then drops to 17 Mbps flat. ShaperProbe reports up to 110 Mbps at night, although NetMeter doesn't line up with that. Maybe there's some router buffering messing with it...

I'm using a Motorola SB6120 on the aforementioned 16/2 plan. 4 bonded downstream channels, 2 up (one 16QAM, one 64). I wish they would approve an 8x4 modem for business class, as my area has 8 downstream channels available.
--
KI6RIT

slick1ru23

join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA

3 edits
reply to Country_HSI
Here is a tip. If you get a new service and are having speed issues, try unplugging your cable modem for a 2 full minutes and reconnecting. Same with getting a new Comcast business modem.

I went from this

to this

Same server. Notice the difference in pings. Weird but supports said try it, and I was dubious about it working but it did.

I like using Speedtest. They give you a history that I can show to techs if there is an issue. Right now the Xfinity speed test isn't working for me, a Flash issue apparently since I can't copy a url. But its peaking at 80/50 on Comcast and about 10mbps higher on each of the below results.

Current, same server, Business Class (16/2) although they did a service upgrade a couple of months back that drastically increased the upload because I never got over 7mbps prior. There was an automated message via phone before that service upgrade about downtime and making improvements.

One thing great about Business Class is they give you a ton of cash for being down. I had intermittent issues for 3 weeks, was credited almost 3 months service.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
reply to Country_HSI

I'm on business class starter. Powerboost is off the charts for me.

i also have 4 bonded downstream channels and 3 bonded upstream channels.

SKORPI0

join:2001-01-10
Orland Park, IL
Nice increase of upload speed.

50.1/5.33/11 - April 27 2012 -

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ··· 6872.png

51.50/27.61/12 - May 26 2012 -

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ··· 1262.png