uniqs
share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 edit

[Signals] Just a quick question to verify things....

Basic Status

Hardware Information

CM Status

After a few months of talking about it with my family, we made the switch to dump our local POTS line with AT&T and ported our number over to Comcast's Digital Voice. We already had Cable TV and Internet with them, so it was a quick process.

In doing this, they had me swap out my leased modem (Scientific Atlanta By Cisco, model # DPC2100R2) with a Thomson Internet Voice Modem, Model # DHG536.

I've posted pictures from the web interface URL (192.168.100.1). While I am not having any problems, I just wanted another set of eyes to look things over, and let me know any comments (positive or negative) about what they see.

There is only one setting that I can change, and that is on the Basic Lan page. Near the bottom of that screen, is the wording "Interface Name". The options can be LAN, CABLE, or MTA

I've left it alone at the default (LAN). What does that do, and should I change it?

Thanks in advance for looking at things.

--Brian

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Cable signals look pretty good. You only have a 10 Mbit LAN?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

My Router
See the attached picture? That is why it says "10 Mbit LAN".

That is a Netgear RP114 Web Safe Router. It has a 10 Mbit WAN port, and 4 10/100 Mbit LAN ports.

How old of a router is that? Well, the date on the PDF Reference Guild that I have for it says July of 2001 (printed on page 1 of the manual).

So, I know I need to get a new one, but it still works. However, I know I'll never get the speed's I'm paying for (Performance, 20 MB/ 4 MB) with that router.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
I wanted to update this thread, with something I just found out.

First, my information comes from this page

»www.thomasonbbs.com/store/pc/vie···uct=1444

Now, I have not been keeping up on the whole DOCSIS 3 rollout, but from the little that I have read, it appears that the rollout is either complete in all areas, or will be complete in all areas very soon.

As I said above, I went and added Comcast Digital Voice to my account, and in doing so, they had me switch out my existing modem (Scientific Atlanta By Cisco, model # DPC2100R2) for a RCA/Thomson DHG536 Data and Voice Gateway.

According to the page I linked to above, it says the following

quote:
RCA/Thomson DHG536 Data and Voice Gateway DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Includes Power Pack only!

I'm just wondering why they would not give me a DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Should I call them and see if I can switch it out again to something that is DOCSIS 3.0 that can be used with Comcast Digital Voice?

I do have another question about this modem that involves the battery backup, but I'm going to hold off on that. If I end up taking this one back, that question becomes a non-issue.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to plencnerb
Unless you have a speed tier that REQUIRES D3, then you will probably get whatever they happen to grab on the truck.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to plencnerb
while it is beneficial to have d3 modems in the field, its not possible for the techs to carry only d3 modems when the d2 modems still work just fine.....so why trash good equipment?

calling them and asking for a modem swap might be futile...cause as was said, if the tech doesnt have any on his truck, your SOL....

as for battery backup, they normally last several hours...there is a lengthy thread recently about batteries you can check out, might answer some questions:
»Tech gave me weaker eMTA backup battery
--
I'm better than you!

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Ok, let me clarify a few things.

First, there was no truck roll. I went to my local Comcast office, with my Comcast bill, my AT&T Phone Bill (to show them what I was being charged for phone service) and made the switch. It was there that they gave me the RCA/Thomson modem. In fact, they actually gave me the new modem before I came back with the old one. So, I took the new one home, swapped modems, made sure it worked, and then took the old one back to the local office.

As far as my speed tier, I am on the Performance package ( 20 MB down, 4 MB up). I'm guessing that one does not require a D3 modem. However, would I still see any benefits with having a D3 modem, even on the speed tier that I have? The local office is only about a mile from my house, so its not a big deal to drive out there and talk to them about this. I've always had good service in my local office when asking them questions.

Finally, I will look into the thread that gar187er See Profile posted, and see if that answers my questions about the battery backup. If not, I can start a new thread on that.

Thanks!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
you may see minor benefits...it mainly helps out overall on the node to help balance out the load of traffic on the channels....i would worry about it....
--
I'm better than you!

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Sounds like a plan. I'll keep my current modem, until such a time that either Comcast replaces it, or I upgrade to a tier that requires a D3 modem.

I did look at the battery thread that you referenced, and it did not answer my specific question. So, I'll start a new thread for that.

Thanks again!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

yurkinator

join:2007-07-30
Newark, DE
reply to plencnerb
The screen capture shows your CM state is not complete. Does your phone work?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I have not tried the phone yet. I ported my number from AT&T, and they said it could take up to 3 business days for that to complete. Since I did this on Friday, they said it should be fully working by Wednesday.

Once I know that it is working, and the number is right, then I'll go down to the AT&T store (about 1.5 miles from my house) and cancel with them.

So, at this point, I don't have any phones plugged into the 2 phone jacks on the back of the modem.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

yurkinator

Newark, DE
reply to plencnerb
Did you get a full SIK with the MTA or did they just give you the modem by itself? If you have the full kit there should be an activation line which you may have to call to get your phone working.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit
As far as I know, I got the full self-install kit (modem, power source, 2 lengths of coax, splitters, etc). What was interesting is the modem actually has a place for two batteries, but only one was in the box...that, btw, was my question with the battery backup...should I have 2 batteries in it, or is one fine?

I did have a piece of paper that had a number that I could call to activate the modem. I tried to go online and do it, and for some reason, that did not take, so I ended up having to call..after about 20 mins on the phone, I was able to get it working.

But, I have yet to actually try a phone. I know the internet works, as I'm online now with it.

--Brian

EDIT:
To be clear with the phone. As I said, I currently have an AT&T pots line in my house. That is still active at this point, as I am waiting for Comcast to port the number over. So, when I said I used the phone to call, that was the line I used. I don't want people to think that I used the phone jacks in the modem (Comcast Digital Voice). I won't start using them until I know Comcast has successfully ported the number over. Once I verify that things are working for the phone via Comcast, I will go cancel my AT&T Service.

yurkinator

Newark, DE
reply to plencnerb
One battery is standard.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
So, one battery is standard. I suppose I could have looked at it more before I plugged it in, but how long does that battery last? I would think if its over 8 hours, I would not need a 2nd battery.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted answers to my questions.

--Brian