Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

[HELP] PoE questions

Hi all.

Picked up a little Cisco SG 200-8p switch. In part, I needed a couple extra ports, but the idea of having PoE sounded nice. I would like to get rid of the PoE injector for my 1252AP. Would be nice to free up an electrical socket.

Probably should have done some more homework. It looks like the most the SG 200 can output is about 17 watts per port. I'm only using 1 PoE port (it's all I need).

Anyway, the AP is angry. Says it doesn't have enough power. How much power does it need?

Looks like I'd have to step up to the SG 500 series to get 30 watts per port on the switches that support PoE. Is that true?

bigsy

join:2001-07-18
ireland
kudos:1

Presumably you have a model with 2 radios which needs enhanced POE. A single radio model should be OK, so you could always crack the case open and extract one of the radio modules to try

However I believe IOS 12.4(10b)JDA3 introduced a feature allowing the 1252 to run at 802.3af 15.4W, albeit at a bit of a radio performance hit. You could try upgrading if you're on an older version.

There's a table in the 'Installation Notes >Power Considerations' section of »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireles···Arn.html which shows what should be possible with the AP and various power options.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

Thanks, bigsy. The system does work fine. However, it warns that it is limited to 1x3 MIMO radio functionality.

All of my devices seem to be working fine (a mix of 5GHz and 2.4GHz stuff).

What does that really mean? And is it worth the energy (human and otherwise) to reconnect the injector?

At the end of the day, if I have to plug the injector back in, it'll be okay and I'll still be happy with the switch. But I'd rather not, if I don't have too.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

That means your AP is using one transmitter and three receivers versus the 2x3 normally used by the 1250--so signal quality is being reduced somewhat. That said, if you have no issues as a result of this change, you'll be fine. FWIW, I use an 1140 at home with 802.3af and it's still able to do 2x3.