spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tofusl

join:2009-04-08

[BC] Best Modem for High Speed Turbo 25

There doesn't seem to be a recent "Best Modem" thread, so here goes. =) I've been reading around, but my DSL-foo/knowledge is pretty low.

The last one left pfak and others all excited about getting the modem source code (»[AB] Best Modem to get), but otherwise didn't leave much resolved (I think).

I'm currently on the 6 Mbps plan "High Speed" running happily on a Thomson Speedtouch ST516(v6?) running in bridge mode that pretty much hasn't been rebooted since it was changed 3 years ago (or something like that). (Minus the 5 BC Hydro outages...)

So, if I want a decent performing/stable modem running in bridged mode for High Speed Turbo 25, what should I look for? I believe that's a VSDL2 connection?

Seems like there are 3 choices:

Actiontech V1000H -- but does not bridge. (also considered "junk" by some)
Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 (aka "ALU") -- but only available to "business" users? (hard to get, may involve name calling on this forum to get it)
Zytel VSG1432 -- don't know much about it, the manual doesn't seem to indicate "bridge" mode at all. (Another post says this is the one that's going out to everyone now?)

So... where should I take it from here if I want High Speed Turbo 25 + a bridged modem?

Thanks!

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
I likewise had the 6 Mbps service with the bridged Speedtouch modem feeding a Dlink DIR-655. Now we've got 25 Mbps Optik with the Actiontec modem. I did try running the Dlink in the DMZ, but decided it was an unnecessary complication, so now everything runs off the Actionec (three TV boxes and a 24-port switch) aided by a small UPS. Works fine for me. No problems with VPNs, or even remote access; the allegedly dynamic IP has never changed.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23
reply to tofusl
When it comes out..

The Actiontec V2000H

Just saying.

tofusl

Well, I run 2 end points so I use both my IP addresses, which means the modem will have to be bridged. A non-bridged option would force me to change many things.

So, basically, I'm looking for a bridge solution -- and whether there is one out there w/ the current set of modems that I'm getting.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to tofusl
There are a couple of other options, the BiPAC 8200M and the BiPAC 8800N. Starbuck and I have tried the 8200M and it works fine, although it doesn't use a broadcom chipset. The 8800N does use a broadcom chip set, but we haven't tried it.

tofusl

said by bimmerdriver:

There are a couple of other options, the BiPAC 8200M and the BiPAC 8800N. Starbuck and I have tried the 8200M and it works fine, although it doesn't use a broadcom chipset. The 8800N does use a broadcom chip set, but we haven't tried it.

Those don't look like Telus Modems. Where would I pick one up? Doesn't seem like it sells at the local NCIX.

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

AnonDSLGuy

@telus.net
While we don't care if you run a non-standard modem, you will be penalized down the road if you don't keep your firmware up to date.

This isn't ADSL2+ anymore kiddies, VDSL2 is a faster evolving beast and having a firmware closely tied to the CO chipset firmware is the reason why TELUS has one of the most advanced DSL deployments in the world. If you don't pick a Broadcom based modem with recent firmware, you'll miss out on phy layer retransmission (via PhyR) and stable SRA.

Longer term, G.inp and even more advanced technologies will be enabled, and if your modem is missing these features, you'll not only be impacting your service quality, but potentially other customers in your binder. The end result being, you could be placed on a speed limited profile, with a restricted PSD.

I know everyone loves the ALU Cellpipe 7130 out west (the BCM6368 version, not the junk Bell uses), but the reality is the current firmware on it is very old; with various bugs. In terms of DSL line stability and an up to date Broadcom driver/phy version, the Zyxel and Actiontec gateways are significantly ahead. Bridge mode will eventually be added to these gateways in a manner usable to our subscribers (accessible through gui without root account), but until that happens I'd recommend sticking with a supported modem.

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC

2 edits
reply to tofusl
One of the nice things about working for a company that is deploying VDSL2 in it's products, is that it's forced me to spend considerable time researching VDSL2. That and I get access to non standard equipment I do understand the potential issues of crossing chipsets.

While the 8200M chipset doesn't support "Fire" , it does support SRA and has fairly recent firmware. ( The latest version of the chipset supports G.INP/G.Vector)
Yes, not having PHyR could cause problems as deployment speeds rise ( and the potential sources of ImpNoise change), but it has been rock solid ( far more so than the Actiontec) It's only fault is a lack of upstream QoS.
As I rarely saturate my 3mbit upload , it's not been a problem unless I'm stress testing. That should hopefully be fixed when Asus shortly release a 64KNVRAM CFE fix ( or equivalent , beta testing now) for my RT-N66U and I can run DD-WRT.
Having said that, I'm hoping that bimmerdriver and I can convince the R&D dept, to acquire a few 8800N's for longer term testing "in the wild" as a comparison test between Broadcom and company X 's chipsets

For now, Telus has left us few options.

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC
reply to AnonDSLGuy
What about the firmware that is posted in »Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 TJ3-65-014E modified TELUS firmware Understood that it's not supported by Telus, but does it bring the ALU up to date? I really wish the powers that be in Telus would disengage their crania from their respective orifices and either support the ALU or offer something equivalent.

tofusl

said by bimmerdriver:

I really wish the powers that be in Telus would disengage their crania from their respective orifices and either support the ALU or offer something equivalent.

Yeah. =(

Anyhow, it seems like the best option is to pray for an ALU by asking the tech nicely and then either it works or we try the modified firmware.

How did you get your ALU bimmerdriver?

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC
I got one of the last ALUs when they were being phased out and replaced with Actiontecs. A combination of timing, a cooperative installer and probably a measure of good luck.

tofusl

Oh. That doesn't bode well for me I think if they're phased out of ALUs in BC. My installer comes on Monday.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
said by tofusl:

Oh. That doesn't bode well for me I think if they're phased out of ALUs in BC. My installer comes on Monday.

I wouldn't fret, you can still get 'em (ALU). Got one for a buddy recently. Telus employees (not contractors) can usually scrounge one up, even if they have to make a second visit. Just explain why you need it. Of course being cordial to the tech goes a long way for them to put in the extra effort.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC
reply to tofusl
If you go to the Zyxel website, you can download a "support note" for the VSG1432 which says the unit supports bridge mode. However, there is no way to know if the unit Telus supplies has crippled firmware or not.

Since Telus supports the Zyxel VSG1432, I wonder if the Zyxel P870H-51a v2 would also be compatible. If so, you could potentially hang the Actiontec off one port (using the WAN interface) and another router for PCs off another port. This unit also supports bridge mode, according to the support note. This would be like an ALU only you would not require a switch.

tofusl

reply to AnonDSLGuy
said by AnonDSLGuy :

.... Bridge mode will eventually be added to these gateways in a manner usable to our subscribers (accessible through gui without root account), but until that happens I'd recommend sticking with a supported modem.

So, when do you think this will happen?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to bimmerdriver
said by bimmerdriver:

If you go to the Zyxel website, you can download a "support note" for the VSG1432 which says the unit supports bridge mode. However, there is no way to know if the unit Telus supplies has crippled firmware or not.

Since Telus supports the Zyxel VSG1432, I wonder if the Zyxel P870H-51a v2 would also be compatible. If so, you could potentially hang the Actiontec off one port (using the WAN interface) and another router for PCs off another port. This unit also supports bridge mode, according to the support note. This would be like an ALU only you would not require a switch.

Have fun finding the P870H in Canada. There was only one place that was selling it, and it was a V1 model, not the V2.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 485M @ 580M : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

StarBuck

Port Coquitlam, BC
mmmhh took 10sec to locate a v2 in Canada ( $120) free shipping. Of course it's firmware hasn't been updated since early 2011. It does support SRA and PHyR , but I've no idea what rev the broadcom driver is etc... There's no way it would support bonding, G.INP etc and it's highly unlikely there will ever be updates as it's listed as legacy ( Zyxel website) too bad, as the FritZ! 7390 and Draytek 2750 ( both of which are updated) are roughly 300$.)

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to AnonDSLGuy
said by AnonDSLGuy :

Bridge mode will eventually be added to these gateways in a manner usable to our subscribers (accessible through gui without root account),

So what is taking so long???

They could easily have enabled that option in any of the recent firmware updates that have been pushed out.

Why is it taking them months/years to do it?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by TheMG:

Because people on these forums have more experience and knowledge than the CPE team in Alberta.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by pfak:

Because people on these forums have more experience and knowledge than the CPE team in Alberta.

Is that meant to be sarcastic or a serious comment?

Regardless, considering the size of company that is Telus, I'm sure they have more than sufficient resources to do something like this within less than a month if they wanted to.

Of course... bridge mode is probably sitting at the very bottom of their long priority list, collecting dust. If I had to take a guess I'd say they're not even actively "working on it".

tofusl

said by TheMG:

Regardless, considering the size of company that is Telus, I'm sure they have more than sufficient resources to do something like this within less than a month if they wanted to.

... Ah.... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

StarBuck

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to bimmerdriver
Well I can confirm that the P870H-51a V2 works very well. Updated the firmware, enabled PHyR ( Through CLI ) it was off by default , into bridge mode and poof.
Nice and simple. Next up will be experimenting with upstream QoS

My request for the GPL source code so I can update PHY is still pending. I don't expect it to go too far as Zyxel are not very friendly when it comes to sharing.

tofusl

1 edit
Just to report back... some fabulous Telus Tech (who hangs out on this board) took pity on me and sent me an ALU.

Using a linux box connected to the outside (it's faster than going through my router w/ QOS):

Ping: 22 ms
Download: 25.29 Mbps
Upload: 2.58 Mbps

So at the very least the ALU can run the posted speeds.

I also have an Actiontec V1000h which I switched into bridge mode after entering the root password. (Found out that you can get it out of bridge mode by plugging a connected cable to the WAN port.)

But at the time, central had problems w/ my setup and hadn't fully switched it to 25 Mbps. When I finally got a 2nd (or 3rd) tier tech on the phone, I had my ALU plugged in so that's what it's running now for the last 4 days.

If I get bored one day, I'll plug in the Actiontec and see what speeds I get (and run it for a day to test stability).

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
The ALU is an awesome modem, especially with the Actiontec PhyR!

velvetfog

join:2010-06-01
Calgary, AB
reply to tofusl
said by tofusl:

Anyhow, it seems like the best option is to pray for an ALU by asking the tech nicely and then either it works or we try the modified firmware.

I got Telus to install an Alcatel Cellpipe running in transparent bridge mode in my house, by the simple expediency of refusing to accept the installation of an Actiontech V1000H.
I told the first installer, who showed up with nothing but Actiontech units in his truck, to leave, and then I called Telus to complain.
I pointed out to their support staff that back when I first became a Telus ADSL customer, they had assured me that I would have the ability to use two real world IP addresses, and if I had let the installer put in the Actiontech unit, I would not have direct access to even a single real world IP address, and that was not acceptable to me, and represented a deal killer as far as me becoming an OPTIK TV customer.
The next day, a far more experienced installer showed up, bringing an Alcatel Cellpipe with him.

I demanded and got, a VDSL2 setup that has the Alcatel Cellpipe ALU working as a modem only, feeding a Linksys 5-port 100BaseTX switch that I provided.
Connected to the Ethernet switch is a Telus provided D-Link G3810 triple-play router for the OPTIK TV service, and my own network router ( a PC running Astaro Security Gateway v8.3), each consuming a real world IP address from the Telus DHCP server.
I added an APC Back-UPS 350 at the electrical panel to power the ALU, the Ethernet switch and the D-Link triple-play router.
I am very happy with my setup, it has been running flawlessly for more than a year now.
I am in Calgary, Alberta.

m999

@telus.net

Actectec
My Actiontec - good enough although need more upload. Pings are usually 10 ms.

m

jjthegreat

join:2004-06-17
Montreal, QC
reply to pfak
said by pfak:

said by TheMG:

HA! Ill tell them that and see what they say.