Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Home Video of NSA's new Utah Data Center set to bad music

A place to hold my personal data forever - against my will - doesn't appeal to me.
Neither does the bad music and hysterical overtones in the video.

I did like seeing the footage of our Overlords' groovy new digs, however.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9CQbwop4

Edit: If you're looking to try out your new Foil Hat, I have the site for you.
»www.cryptocomb.org/

I found some stuff there worth reading.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Is there an underground part to it? I would think they'd built it like NORAD, which is able to run completely on it's own for up to 30 days, and can survive even close nuclear strikes. That just seems like a way too out in the open and obvious target, just one Low Yield Nuclear warhead and that thing would be toast.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:

Is there an underground part to it? I would think they'd built it like NORAD, which is able to run completely on it's own for up to 30 days, and can survive even close nuclear strikes. That just seems like a way too out in the open and obvious target, just one Low Yield Nuclear warhead and that thing would be toast.

*sigh*

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
How can it be "Top Secret" if we know it exists?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by battleop:

How can it be "Top Secret" if we know it exists?

As well as what it's doing.

Also, if it will contain more data then all computers in the world combined, wouldn't you get a recursion error? The computers in there would have to be considered as part of all the computers in the world. Even if you exclude those computers, I still don't believe the comment.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

I don't know exactly how they plan on collecting every email and every phone call. No matter how advanced they will never be able to collect as much data as the conspiracy nuts claim they can.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
»www.wired.com/threatleve ··· er/all/1

Very long read but very informative. After reading this article conspiracy seems more like the truth, as I don't find Wired spouting too much tinfoil conspiracy,

" Inside, the facility will consist of four 25,000-square-foot halls filled with servers, complete with raised floor space for cables and storage."

" As a result of this “expanding array of theater airborne and other sensor networks,” as a 2007 Department of Defense report puts it, the Pentagon is attempting to expand its worldwide communications network, known as the Global Information Grid, to handle yottabytes (10^ 24 bytes) of data (A yottabyte is a septillion bytes —so large that no one has yet coined a term for the next higher magnitude.)"

"Before yottabytes of data from the deep web and elsewhere can begin piling up inside the servers of the NSA’s new center, they must be collected. To better accomplish that, the agency has undergone the largest building boom in its history, including installing secret electronic monitoring rooms in major US telecom facilities. Controlled by the NSA, these highly secured spaces are where the agency taps into the US communications networks, a practice that came to light during the Bush years but was never acknowledged by the agency."

" There is still one technology preventing untrammeled government access to private digital data: strong encryption. ... So the agency had one major ingredient—a massive data storage facility—under way. Meanwhile, across the country in Tennessee, the government was working in utmost secrecy on the other vital element: the most powerful computer the world has ever known.

The plan was launched in 2004 as a modern-day Manhattan Project. Dubbed the High Productivity Computing Systems program, its goal was to advance computer speed a thousandfold, creating a machine that could execute a quadrillion (10 15 ) operations a second, known as a petaflop—the computer equivalent of breaking the land speed record. And as with the Manhattan Project, the venue chosen for the supercomputing program was the town of Oak Ridge in eastern Tennessee"

Is it 1984 yet?