bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Beef7

Re: [Official] Torchlight 2 Thread

I think I am going to have to break down and give this game a try tonight. I'm still addicted to GW2 and haven't played anything else since that released but you all's enthusiasm for the game in this thread has me itching to try it. I was thinking of rolling an embermage, has anyone played one? Is it a fun class?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Beef7

wrong forum woops

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Beef7

Really digging this game. It's basically what Diablo 3 should have been. The only difference though, is I can't make money off Torchlight, lol. I basically have to trade off having more fun for more chances at $$$.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4

How's the multiplayer in this?

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Bitching, honestly. It's very Diablo 2 - esque. LAN support, internet matching, etc. It's basically Diablo 3 but allows for single & LAN play (ie. no lag).

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT

Sounds more akin to Diablo 1, D2 open bnet... aka rampant hack fest? Is there any way to play with legits only?
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

It could very well be open hack fest. In fact, Torchlight 2 devs are planning to release kits so that people can make their own mods/environments/etc.

As for playing with legits only, I can't think of a guaranteed method...well, other than playing with friends. When me and friends used to join in on a D2 LAN party, nobody really used hacks. Going through a fun game on pure god mode just isn't fun.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

When you modify anything on the game files you will get an exclamation mark (!) next your name.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit

said by Jobbie:

When you modify anything on the game files you will get an exclamation mark (!) next your name.

I find that not true. I see a lot of people asking about there name having ! Next to it. When there isnt one.

====

Ah, is not next to the name. Is when they join the game. There is an (!) on that sentence.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to Savious

said by Savious:

Sounds more akin to Diablo 1, D2 open bnet... aka rampant hack fest? Is there any way to play with legits only?

I would say this game is wayyyyyy faster leveling than any diablo games. I bet you could beat normal 1-50 in a day. And then start 50-100 the next day. Thats if you play normal mode.

This game has lan, solo, internet mode. So, hacks will happen.

One thing i dislike is, you could only respec the last 3 points you put in to your skill tree. I dont think you could respec your char stats at all. Like str, dodge, focus, life.

-----------

What i dont get is.... do you get anything special playing higher diff thsn normal? What would elite mode give me?

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Beef7

I have what is probably a newb question. On the right of the bar at the bottom, directly left of the mana pool, there are two skill allocations per loadout. How do you activate the second (smaller) one? I can put a skill in there but can't figure out how to use it. Since google has not helped, I have to assume I missed something basic.

beldin
Script Monkey number 50
Premium
join:2006-06-06
Union, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Beef7

I haven't really played it yet since I've been playing Borderlands 2, but in the original Torchlight, there was a keystroke to swap those two skills. I can't remember what it was and I'm at work and can't look ATM. So, essentially, the larger icon is the active skill, and the smaller icon is the swapable skill. Key bindings should tell you how to swap between the skills.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

I have what is probably a newb question. On the right of the bar at the bottom, directly left of the mana pool, there are two skill allocations per loadout. How do you activate the second (smaller) one? I can put a skill in there but can't figure out how to use it. Since google has not helped, I have to assume I missed something basic.

Tab switches between the two.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

said by ekster:

said by bionicRod:

Tab switches between the two.

Confirming with ekster that 'Tab' does switch between the two.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beef7

Or, you can skip Tab altogether and just put the whatever skills you want on keybinds

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

You hit Tab to switch. But you could always put the skill on your hot keys.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Beef7

Thanks guys, like the pirate with the steering wheel on his crotch said, it was driving me nuts.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria

1 recommendation

Yarrrrrrharharharharharharharhar!

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Enjoying this game so far, not that high a level yet, but I have not had much time lately to play.

Went Engineer as well thinking that they would have a ton of turrets or such, and wound up setting up for tanking. Maybe my gear but jumped into a friends Elite game and was getting 1-2 shot too often.

Veteran seems to be a good balance of difficulty and enjoyment.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to Beef7

By the way, if anyone wants to hit up a game online, my TL2 name is ekster, and steamid is (I think) eksterski. I usually jump on for an hour or so between 10pm est and midnight a couple of times a week.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria

And MY AXE!

Yeah, I'll catch you on one of these times.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Beef7

Okay, I've stopped playing my main outlander for a bit and decided to fool around a bit.

A meleeing embermage with two weapons = win. High focus and high execution, while having things like burning cloaks, etc. is awesome.

A meeling outlander with splash damage, dodge and high crit chance is also total win.

At least for a game on normal so far. I am pretty sure the outlander can stand up to Act 3 on hard... no idea for the meleeing embermage though. Still they're super fun so far.

And an embermage with high focus and two wands can get scary. Don't even need any stupid spells!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beef7

One thing I'm not quite understanding is the method behind dungeon farming.

From what I read over the weekend, it takes ~30min for a dungeon to respawn. Or, if you don't want to wait, you can start up a LAN game and click "reroll world" and everything respawns.

I had some quest dungeon portals in Act 2 I wanted to rerun. After clicking reroll world, the portals were gone completely and not to be found again.

So if you reroll a level, is it only certain dungeons that will be available?

TheThing

reply to Beef7

I did buy TL2 to show my support for Runic, however, with GW2 out, it is hard to pull myself away from it to play TL2

GW2 and LoL take all my free time

TheThing

reply to Beef7

WTF

just read that Runic Games no longer plans a Torchlight MMO

WTF

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Beef7

Oh, so this is where they put the Diablo 3 thread now.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

My brother in law just asked me about this game. Any good? Worth getting for him for xmas? He's like in 11th grade.

TheThing

depends on him

how big of a geek is he?

does he like skyrim?

is he big time into games, or more casual?

good at math and science etc?

casual = TL2

geek/math boy = GW2

GW2 > TL2 in all ways, but you don't want to give a basketweaving major GW2, they will run in circles

TL2 = no dedicated connection required

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

He's into games. He plays Skyrim and all on his Xbox. I gave him my old pc so I'm not too sure it can run GW2 or I would buy it for him. But I don't want him to be addicted to an MMO yet, boy needs to meet girls and play outside.

TheThing

LOL

if he likes skyrim he'll love GW2... true true... you don't want him to flunk out of school

maybe wait for TL2 console port? I heard it's in the works