Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
reply to ekster

Re: [Official] Torchlight 2 Thread

And MY AXE!

Yeah, I'll catch you on one of these times.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Beef7

Okay, I've stopped playing my main outlander for a bit and decided to fool around a bit.

A meleeing embermage with two weapons = win. High focus and high execution, while having things like burning cloaks, etc. is awesome.

A meeling outlander with splash damage, dodge and high crit chance is also total win.

At least for a game on normal so far. I am pretty sure the outlander can stand up to Act 3 on hard... no idea for the meleeing embermage though. Still they're super fun so far.

And an embermage with high focus and two wands can get scary. Don't even need any stupid spells!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Beef7

One thing I'm not quite understanding is the method behind dungeon farming.

From what I read over the weekend, it takes ~30min for a dungeon to respawn. Or, if you don't want to wait, you can start up a LAN game and click "reroll world" and everything respawns.

I had some quest dungeon portals in Act 2 I wanted to rerun. After clicking reroll world, the portals were gone completely and not to be found again.

So if you reroll a level, is it only certain dungeons that will be available?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Beef7

I did buy TL2 to show my support for Runic, however, with GW2 out, it is hard to pull myself away from it to play TL2

GW2 and LoL take all my free time

TheThing

reply to Beef7

WTF

just read that Runic Games no longer plans a Torchlight MMO

WTF

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Beef7

Oh, so this is where they put the Diablo 3 thread now.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

My brother in law just asked me about this game. Any good? Worth getting for him for xmas? He's like in 11th grade.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

depends on him

how big of a geek is he?

does he like skyrim?

is he big time into games, or more casual?

good at math and science etc?

casual = TL2

geek/math boy = GW2

GW2 > TL2 in all ways, but you don't want to give a basketweaving major GW2, they will run in circles

TL2 = no dedicated connection required

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

He's into games. He plays Skyrim and all on his Xbox. I gave him my old pc so I'm not too sure it can run GW2 or I would buy it for him. But I don't want him to be addicted to an MMO yet, boy needs to meet girls and play outside.

TheThing

LOL

if he likes skyrim he'll love GW2... true true... you don't want him to flunk out of school

maybe wait for TL2 console port? I heard it's in the works

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

My brother in law just asked me about this game. Any good? Worth getting for him for xmas? He's like in 11th grade.

He will love it.

you can play it offline even without steam running.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Agreed. It's a great game without the dedication factor. Especially considering I've had very little time to play it.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

It is a great game because you can create an engineer with a handlebar mustache wearing a monocle. Need I say more?

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

And THAT is my character. Right there. Spot on!

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Kristopher:

And THAT is my character. Right there. Spot on!

Same. Mine runs around with a meaty two-hander, throwing around spider mines, and fire-stomping the enemy.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

We think alike, you and me. I might have goggles instead of a monacle though. And my mustache is gray.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Kristopher:

We think alike, you and me. I might have goggles instead of a monacle though. And my mustache is gray.

I might have gone with goggles (you know, because of the screen name and all) now that you mention them. As for the handlebar, I think I went with white for mine.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Kristopher

I have yet to create an engineer. I'm having too much fun with a melee outlander and a gun-slinging mage.

I love how you can easily make awesome builds with non-conventional weapon styles.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by ekster:

I love how you can easily make awesome builds with non-conventional weapon styles.

That was the main selling point of the first game, as you could create a Vanquisher that dual wielded scepters or a mage that waded into combat with a sword and board. With TL2, classes can spec to have benefits with certain weapon types, but you aren't forced to use them.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Now I need to get back into this game. I hardly advanced at all. So many games. Bioshock Infinite comes out soon. I mean, come on! STOP PRODUCING GOOD GAMES YOU FUCKERS!
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beef7

I started to level an Embermage. It's rough, because after playing an Engineer, every other class seems weak as hell now.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Ghastlyone:

I started to level an Embermage. It's rough, because after playing an Engineer, every other class seems weak as hell now.

Engineer can take a freaking beating, especially if you went sword/board and specced into his passive that increased armor AND reduced all damage by a percentage.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beef7

My Embermage is level 65 now. And he is an absolute badass. It's pure destruction. Early on with this class, its rough. Until you get some talent points rolling.

Embermages are complete glass cannons though. 1-2 shots and I'm usually dead.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Beef7

How did you guys level your engineer?

I was all excited to see the picture of the engineer holding a cannon, but it shoots like a cannon (ala pirates of carribean) and not like a "Aliens" chain gun :P

puppy

reply to Ghastlyone

Ghastly, on the Runic forums for ember mage there's a guide for frost mage (elite HC I think). I think a big thing he did was to max out the ice prison, since you can stand inside (and run out whenever) and pew pew while protected. At level 15 the cooldown is set to 2 seconds instead of 10 so you can just spam your portable fortress.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by puppy:

Ghastly, on the Runic forums for ember mage there's a guide for frost mage (elite HC I think). I think a big thing he did was to max out the ice prison, since you can stand inside (and run out whenever) and pew pew while protected. At level 15 the cooldown is set to 2 seconds instead of 10 so you can just spam your portable fortress.

I've got very few points into the Frost Tree. I'm all Fire and Electricity mainly.

Only points I put in Frost, are the teleport talent Frost Phase, which is a godsend for quick escapes and a few points into the passive frost talent Frozen Fate, that freezes additional enemies within a 4 yard radius.

I've got Blazing Pillar maxed out (or nearly do) on the Fire Tree along with Charge Mastery, and some points in Elemental Attunement.

Over on the Electric Tree, I got as many points as possible into Primatic Bolt and Death's Bounty (I think thats what it's called)

What I do when I walk up on a large pack of mobs, drop a Death's Bounty mark, cast Blazing Pillar, and spam Prismatic Bolts and watch the pure destruction unfold.

Death's Bounty is badass, in that it restores health and mana. You'll very rarely get low on mana or health.

When you spend talent points on your stats, max out Focus. Just dump everything in there possible. I spent only a few points on Vatality, the rest, ~200 or so points are all in Focus, which increases Magic damage.

Enemies will just melt on contact. But just keep in mind. 2 shots and you're dead for most mobs. So keep distance on anything you're fighting.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to puppy

said by puppy:

How did you guys level your engineer?

BIG. SLOW...2 HANDER.

I don't care for using cannons. Just max out all your bots, turrets, and spider mines, and go in swinging that big mace or axe.

To be honest though, after playing an Embermage, my Engineer is boring as hell now.

RipTides

join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA
reply to Beef7

My favorites are a Frost based Embermage, based off the build already mentioned in this thread, it's just so OP.

My other is the berzerker class. With enough life steal, life regen, and proper spec he is too much fun to play.

Engineer is okay but seems EZ mode with the bots and makes me not feel directly powerful.

Outlander class just isn't for me.

puppy

WARNING about using RESETSTATS console command!!

I've used RESETSKILLS a few times and it seems fine, no problem, then I used RESETSTATS today.

Poof, all my stats and skill points are gone. Like 0. The command is bugged and from googling it seems like it's been that way since 9/2012.

I remade my toon (only level 12) instead of messing with setting points and stats through the console.

Just a warning!!

RipTides

join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

That's why I use TL2 Rapid Respec 3rd party program.
It allows you to remove and reassign points esp if you didn't really know what you were doing when first building a char. And it doesn't flag you as a "cheater".

I don't like that it has a "cheat" page, but it's cheating use is mostly harmless except for the money, which I admit playing single player I ended up loading my chars up with 99999999 so I could "game" the enchanters to get the enchants I want as I level up.

I either play single player or LAN with the girlfriend. And was clued in to the Rapid Respec program b/c she ended up playing one day and put points where ever and had a pretty messed up lvl 20 toon.