share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Beef7

Re: [Official] Torchlight 2 Thread

I started to level an Embermage. It's rough, because after playing an Engineer, every other class seems weak as hell now.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Ghastlyone:

I started to level an Embermage. It's rough, because after playing an Engineer, every other class seems weak as hell now.

Engineer can take a freaking beating, especially if you went sword/board and specced into his passive that increased armor AND reduced all damage by a percentage.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beef7

My Embermage is level 65 now. And he is an absolute badass. It's pure destruction. Early on with this class, its rough. Until you get some talent points rolling.

Embermages are complete glass cannons though. 1-2 shots and I'm usually dead.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Beef7

How did you guys level your engineer?

I was all excited to see the picture of the engineer holding a cannon, but it shoots like a cannon (ala pirates of carribean) and not like a "Aliens" chain gun :P

puppy

reply to Ghastlyone

Ghastly, on the Runic forums for ember mage there's a guide for frost mage (elite HC I think). I think a big thing he did was to max out the ice prison, since you can stand inside (and run out whenever) and pew pew while protected. At level 15 the cooldown is set to 2 seconds instead of 10 so you can just spam your portable fortress.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by puppy:

Ghastly, on the Runic forums for ember mage there's a guide for frost mage (elite HC I think). I think a big thing he did was to max out the ice prison, since you can stand inside (and run out whenever) and pew pew while protected. At level 15 the cooldown is set to 2 seconds instead of 10 so you can just spam your portable fortress.

I've got very few points into the Frost Tree. I'm all Fire and Electricity mainly.

Only points I put in Frost, are the teleport talent Frost Phase, which is a godsend for quick escapes and a few points into the passive frost talent Frozen Fate, that freezes additional enemies within a 4 yard radius.

I've got Blazing Pillar maxed out (or nearly do) on the Fire Tree along with Charge Mastery, and some points in Elemental Attunement.

Over on the Electric Tree, I got as many points as possible into Primatic Bolt and Death's Bounty (I think thats what it's called)

What I do when I walk up on a large pack of mobs, drop a Death's Bounty mark, cast Blazing Pillar, and spam Prismatic Bolts and watch the pure destruction unfold.

Death's Bounty is badass, in that it restores health and mana. You'll very rarely get low on mana or health.

When you spend talent points on your stats, max out Focus. Just dump everything in there possible. I spent only a few points on Vatality, the rest, ~200 or so points are all in Focus, which increases Magic damage.

Enemies will just melt on contact. But just keep in mind. 2 shots and you're dead for most mobs. So keep distance on anything you're fighting.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to puppy

said by puppy:

How did you guys level your engineer?

BIG. SLOW...2 HANDER.

I don't care for using cannons. Just max out all your bots, turrets, and spider mines, and go in swinging that big mace or axe.

To be honest though, after playing an Embermage, my Engineer is boring as hell now.

RipTides

join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA
reply to Beef7

My favorites are a Frost based Embermage, based off the build already mentioned in this thread, it's just so OP.

My other is the berzerker class. With enough life steal, life regen, and proper spec he is too much fun to play.

Engineer is okay but seems EZ mode with the bots and makes me not feel directly powerful.

Outlander class just isn't for me.

puppy

WARNING about using RESETSTATS console command!!

I've used RESETSKILLS a few times and it seems fine, no problem, then I used RESETSTATS today.

Poof, all my stats and skill points are gone. Like 0. The command is bugged and from googling it seems like it's been that way since 9/2012.

I remade my toon (only level 12) instead of messing with setting points and stats through the console.

Just a warning!!

RipTides

join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

That's why I use TL2 Rapid Respec 3rd party program.
It allows you to remove and reassign points esp if you didn't really know what you were doing when first building a char. And it doesn't flag you as a "cheater".

I don't like that it has a "cheat" page, but it's cheating use is mostly harmless except for the money, which I admit playing single player I ended up loading my chars up with 99999999 so I could "game" the enchanters to get the enchants I want as I level up.

I either play single player or LAN with the girlfriend. And was clued in to the Rapid Respec program b/c she ended up playing one day and put points where ever and had a pretty messed up lvl 20 toon.

puppy

Is this a program (executable) or a mod? Where can I get it?

If it's a program I'm too paranoid to run it

Edit: Nevermind, found it, seems like it's a standalone program that edits the sav file...

»clockworkcore.org/tl2rr.html

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to RipTides

said by RipTides:

she ended up playing one day and put points where ever and had a pretty messed up lvl 20 toon.

your GF sounds hot... if she wasn't hot her spec would be great, my wife is hot, and when she tries to dabble in my games its a joke and her choices are rediculous, but its ok, cause shes hot, and thats what hot girls do... bad at games lol

puppy

reply to Beef7

Over this (3 days for me) weekend I made a lot of progress on my toons.

I play on veteran because I think that's a pretty good balance between not being so easy I just 1 click through the game, or elite which sounds to me like it's no fun for me.

My embermage is prismatic bolt OP-ness. Ghastly it right, I mainly just mow everything down with it. I do use the hailstorm for a bit of debuff and stun. I also use fire pillars spell just because it looks so cool, but its casting time makes it a bit undesirable for me when mobs are all over my butt.

My other main toon is the engineer. I am using a cannon instead of 2 handed weapon, because those swing a bit too slow for me. The cannon is so awesome - 1 shot goes through every mob in a straight line, and innate 35% chance to stun. The healbot is awesome too, but so far I'm finding forcefield a bit lacking, even though every post in the forums say that is the best spell. It gets stronger based on charge, but since I'm using blast cannon all the time, I don't build charge regularly.

The next toon I want to develop is the outlander, 2 pistol style, but from what I read glaives is the where the OP-ness is. Supposedly pretty much every build can work playing on veteran, so I will probably go that way, but I need to figure out how good its AOE is. This game has a way of throwing a lot of mobs out at you, like D3.

BTW if you haven't bought it, I'd just buy it from the company directly so you don't need to worry about steam starting up and so forth. Once I left my machine on too long and I got an error code 80 starting the game, but restarting my machine fixed it.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

I need to pick this up again. I been busy with BL2 and Dishonored.

I think my Embermage is level 72? I can't remember off hand. I did find that the content on New game+ is out leveling my character. So I think I have to supplement Map Works dungeon runs in to gain some levels.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Beef7

can someone explain Game+ mode?

i don't have enough time to play TL2, especially after the let down that there will be no tlmmo

while they might not be as toony as TL2, Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes would be right up the alley of this player base.

puppy

reply to Beef7

Been working overtime so not much game time, but what I have I use on TL2 (GW2 is on hold for now). I'm having a lot of fun with an Shooty Outlander, basically either pistol/pistol, pistol/shield, or shotgun. Pumping str/dex, not throwing focus glaives.

This is all because I love the 'Rapid Fire' skill. Just love the feel and animation, and recently I found 2 "yellow basiliks eyes" that made it much more fun.

Each (when socketed into a weapon) gives 5% change to cast Thunder on the target. I put both into a crossbow of mine, and with the # of shots rapid fire throws out, Thunder triggers a lot!

Even without focus, Thunder scales with your level and it's a miniature AOE I think, so between that and my poison burst I just mow down mobs. This is all on Veteran, about level 25 right now.

TheThing

if TL2 was more like Path of Exile I would play it forever

meaning:

100% online
MMO
meaningful progression

puppy

reply to puppy

I finished the game on my outlander on veteran over the weekend, she's about 55 now. I still love how rapid fire feels.

Now trying to decide what to do next. Either continue to 100 on my outlander, work on my ember mage or make some sort of melee (I found all these melee gear orange gear). Seems kind of sad the best melee seems to be the engineer, since it has the shielding and regen bot.

Also want to convert my outlander to a focus based one to play spell trigger, but not sure if I should start a new outlander or download a respec program. I have 3 yellow basiliks eyes now, a dragon eye that drops meteors, and 2 necklaces that also give 5% to thunder. Might try to farm up some other gems that trigger other spells.

This game is such a great buy for $20, much less the $10 I paid on a steam sale.

puppy

reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

can someone explain Game+ mode?

Once you finish the game, a little girl gives you the option to start a new game, but scaled to your current level. So if you killed the Netherlord at say level 53, the new game would start in the first town again, with monsters around 50s.

TheThing

1 edit

i wish the game was 100% online, and I wish it had forced progression

normal -> hard -> insane -> game+

blowing thru everything on easy to get to game+ seems hokey to me

not 100% online also seems hokey and hackable

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

Stick with Diablo 3 then if you prefer having no options. Myself, I never remember there being a problem in having too much personal choice in how to receive my fun.

puppy

reply to TheThing

Actually the game+ is still on the same difficulty as what you were on, just a new game scaled to your current level. Unless you use a mod or start over, I don't think you can change the difficulty itself. I think the difficulty affects nothing like amount of loot, etc besides being a harder challenge for you.

Since it is not truly an online game and I don't play with others, I play the game I find fun - ie, use the console to respec whenever I feel like it. Even if you do play with others, I guess the worst thing is you are so uber from hacking/modding that you kill everything before others can get to it. That's why they have a cheater flag so others can choose to not play with you. All loot is personalized, so it's not like you can steal other people's loot. I am assuming though they get loot and exp from mobs you kill, but I don't know that for sure since I don't play online.

I think any games that are single player should allow you to do this so I can play however I want (with my very limited playtime now that I am married). It's only when it's an MMO where you can get an advantage over others they should enforce rules.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

Stick with Diablo 3 then if you prefer having no options. Myself, I never remember there being a problem in having too much personal choice in how to receive my fun.

I actually started this thread! But in the end, because of what I mentioned my interest dissipated in this game...

moved on to PoE... and eventually Marvel Heroes, because it fits my play desires more closely

D3 sucks!

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

said by TheThing See Profile
D3 sucks!
[/BQUOTE :

I feel bad for D3. D3 didn't do nothing to you in this thread. Leave D3 alone.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

DDDDDD3333333!!!!!!!!!!!! D3 screwed up my quoting!?! Screw you d3.

puppy

reply to puppy

My outlander is 70ish and still a lot of fun, but finding all this melee stuff I decided to make a dual wielding berserker. I just hit 42 last night and got the Ravage skill, woot what a great skill.

Hits 3x for every mob near you, great for triggering spells on weapons (supposedly only the main hand weapon procs though).

I'm sort of following the Xrilla guide, but also kind of want to go with spell procs, so I'm doing like 2/1/2 str/dex/foc, ignoring vit as usual (useless unless you want to max block).

The shadow burst where you turn into a wolf for a brief second and burst forward is a great skill, I love it for its mobility and zooming all around the screen.

Still having fun with this game, it's such a deal for $20.

puppy

Having a blast with this berserker! I also found an "eye of the dragon" off Thiss that has 5% chance to cast meteor from target (on hit), way better than the one that drops meteor on kill. My weapon has chance to sprout geiser on hit, and I also added the gem that has chance to cast thunder.

I wolf sprint into a huge pack, do my ravage (360 degree) and all sorts of shit fall from the sky since ravage hits each target around me 3x, giving all sorts of chances to proc these. So fun ^_^

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Beef7

I finally picked this up and I'm liking it much more than the first Torchlight. Using a berserker with vampiric fist weapons (lifesteal) and health regen gear. Basically, I'm Wolverine. I'm up to level 14 and haven't died or even had to drink a health potion yet.

I got lucky and got a fish that permanently changed my pet into a moleman that stuns enemies.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beef7

I haven't logged into this game in awhile. I think my Embermage is level 73 or so.

Maybe I'll play this weekend.