reply to ph1zy

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers?

Still no word about what theyre gonna do with the 150 mbit package

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to pappy97
said by pappy97:

Any official announcement yet on the speed increases and how existing customers will be able to upgrade?

I'd be willing to bet it'll be just like the last batch of speed upgrades worked. There was no automatic speed upgrade with Verizon last time around and I see no reason that would change now.

Anyone who wants in on the new speeds is going to have to upgrade to the new tier which will require a new bundle and a renewed contract term for those with a contract and with bundles. To top it off Verizon will time this year's announced price increase about the same time.

If we're lucky enough there might be a small windows of opportunity right when these new tiers come out that we can upgrade and lock the current price into contract before the price increase takes into effect.

Klownicle

join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL
reply to ph1zy
Too bad you didn't ask about if it would cost to upgrade, if it will be auto or if we will have to pay on top of our already "10$" speed premuim we may be paying currently.

Zores

join:2002-02-24
New Milford, NJ
reply to jarablue
Are they doing anything with 150mbps? i thought they weren't? If they are bumping up 150 mbps I would be ecstatic. I've been enjoying 150mbps so far.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
I just hope they at least extend the NY/NJ pricing for the 150/35 plan to other fios markets...

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to jarablue
I have 25/25 and I'm month-to-month, what will my speed/price become...?
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

nycfurby

join:2011-09-27

1 edit
reply to Zores
me too, i've been enjoyign the better ping on the 150mbps package. however with the 35/35 being boosted to 75/35 it makes the 150mbit package look slightly less appealing. but they havent said shit about it (- whats gonna happen to the 50/20 and the 150mbit packages). so im hoping verizon comes thru in a big way here

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane
said by McBane:

I just hope they at least extend the NY/NJ pricing for the 150/35 plan to other fios markets...

I thought it was $200+ everywhere? I'm paying $204.99 in NY.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Alone or in a bundle? Either way, sounds like you're getting screwed. What part of NY are you in?

Bundled price in NY is typically in the 140-170 range depending on your contract or month-to-month status.

I attached the prices I get for 150/35 / Ultimate HD / DV
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to nycfurby
said by nycfurby:

me too, i've been enjoyign the better ping on the 150mbps package. however with the 35/35 being boosted to 75/35 it makes the 150mbit package look slightly less appealing. but they havent said shit about it (- whats gonna happen to the 50/20 and the 150mbit packages). so im hoping verizon comes thru in a big way here

Why would the 150Mbit package have a better ping time than the other tiers? Or are you talking about MoCA vs Ethernet ping times?
--

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Thinkdiff:

said by nycfurby:

Why would the 150Mbit package have a better ping time than the other tiers? Or are you talking about MoCA vs Ethernet ping times?

Probably a combination of ethernet and GPON (if they werent on GPON before). I know latency to my colo'd server went from 6ms to 2.4ms going from BPON -> GPON and I was already on ethernet. Also latency on the 150mbit package is not affected as easily by bandwidth usage on the line.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

McBane

Plano, TX

1 edit
reply to serge87
said by serge87:

said by McBane:

I thought it was $200+ everywhere? I'm paying $204.99 in NY.

Are you paying $204.99 for the triple play or JUST for the 150/35 internet service? Because it's typically about $200/mo most places JUST for the 150/35 service, so tack on your fios tv bill and that's what the rest of us would have to pay up. Verizon screws everyone that isn't local to their HQ.

nycfurby

join:2011-09-27
reply to houkouonchi
this is a fairly new install in a apartment building so I was on GPON from the get go. switched from coax to ethernet for even lower latency. then when the NY specific deals came on (for (135-140 for the 150mbit) reading some of houkounochis posts made me take the plunge. Not only is latency lower on the 150 mbit package it's a lot easier to keep low pings when you're using your connection. I actually stream a lot at 720p since I'm a gamer, at around 3-4mbit bitrate while playing games, family in the other room watching netflix and my ping time doesnt go any higher lol. This isn't necessarily the case on 35/35 though, when I do those things on the 35/35 i do notice some latency spikes which is why I upgraded.

The only things that annoy me are 1) websites cant handle the speed 2) other gamers have crap internet, so my great connection happens to not matter as much as it should. lol

McBane

Plano, TX

3 edits
What I would really like to know is if they expect to fulfill the 75/35 plan on the BPON architecture because that would be a recipe for disaster. 35/35 ontop of 50/25 already taxes the limits of BPON. It's rare but I used to live in a college apartment complex that was over saturated with FiOS and usually ended up getting the cable modem treatment all through 2008 to almost the end of 2009 when they fixed it. 75/35 would destroy the BPON architecture. 75Mbps down x 32 subscribers per splitter = 4200Mbps when BPON down for those same 32 subscribers is 622Mbps. That means, if just 8 of those 32 people leave torrents going all night or do a huge download, the network is going to hell for the other 24 people.

It's rare, but we've seen it come up on the forum time and time again where people are in overpopulated FiOS areas get the cable modem treatment on FiOS. It was pretty bad for awhile on the east coast when Verizon first put out their 150/35 plan and chopped the price in half for the NY/NJ people. 75/35 across the whole network might bring Verizon's backbone and the FiOS network itself to it's knees if they don't put the 75/35 people on GPON where there is plenty of bandwidth to support the plan, and of course a backbone that's capable of supporting the FiOS network.

So don't everyone be surprised when the QOS goes to hell for the next 6 months after they release these new plans, especially if they plan on releasing 75/35 on BPON. Even if they do put them on GPON it'll take them some time to build out the backbone to support it, just like what happened on the east coast with the half price 150/35 bundle plan when it hit the market last year.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to jarablue
Anything preventing Verizon from offering fully symmetrical speeds on GPON?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
GPON is 1.2Gbps upstream, so 1200/32 = 37.5 .. hrm. That number sounds familiar!

Seems like Verizon might be keeping the upstream around 35Mbps/per user (without fluff) to ensure everybody gets full speed. Obviously not every splitter will have a full 32 users uploading at all times, so in most cases they could easily increase the upload cap without anybody noticing. But that that point, like McBane said, their whole "cable is shared" argument goes to crap - they'd be doing the same thing with their network.
--

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to navyson
said by navyson:

Anything preventing Verizon from offering fully symmetrical speeds on GPON?

Distributed equally, each user on a 32-user GPON fiber would have 37mbps of upload capacity. If the GPON fiber is split among 64 users then that drops to 19mbps of upload speed. I don't see how speeds can become symmetrical without some consequences. It's probably why only the download capacity was boosted and upload was left alone.

Edit: Thinkdiff by 3 minutes!

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
I thought I read that Surewest(some fiber outfit in the west) and in Korea/Japan where folks can get full symmetrical 100/100.

What are they doing differently?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
The symmetrical providers are not using a PON technology - they are using Ethernet over fiber:

»www.surewestbusiness.com/all_dia ··· iber.php

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to jarablue
I don't recall reading much issues on the east coast when 150/35 was launched here.
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

jarablue
Always be true to yourself

join:2001-06-11
Boxborough, MA
reply to nycdave
June 18th we will be able to order this right?

McBane

Plano, TX
reply to nycdave
Surewest actually uses AON (Active Optical Network) which is like the opposite version of Verizon's FiOS. My mother in law and a few of my friends that live in Sac have Surewest. Instead of using unpowered beam splitters AON uses a powered optical switch so each user has dedicated bandwidth to the CO and their ISP. It's much more expensive but you don't have bottlenecks like PON networks and FiOS have.

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to jarablue
This is interesting. I'm on 25/25 with HD package, so my actual speed is 30/25, although sometimes the upload seems to hover around 18. That might be just an artifact of the speedtest sites, or my wireless N.

I would love to see 50/25 (would I get 55/25 with fluff?), but I don't want to deal with billing to change anything on my account though. So far (knock on wood), my billing for FIOS has been accurate. Would hate to give Verizon an opportunity to screw things up.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue
I want to see the monthly pricing of the new speeds. My 35/35 runs solidly at 47.3 which I am extremely pleased with (duh) and if the new speeds are going to be available at just a sawbuck then sign me up. Seems almost unfathomable having that kind of speed on a residential line.

Fireguyy

join:2006-10-01
said by kingdome74:

I want to see the monthly pricing of the new speeds. My 35/35 runs solidly at 47.3 which I am extremely pleased with (duh) and if the new speeds are going to be available at just a sawbuck then sign me up. Seems almost unfathomable having that kind of speed on a residential line.

I haven't seen any mention of a price increase, the way it was presented to us, the new speed tiers replace the current offerings.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Fireguyy:

I haven't seen any mention of a price increase, the way it was presented to us, the new speed tiers replace the current offerings.

Verizon Says FiOS Rate Hikes Coming

Fireguyy

said by serge87:

said by Fireguyy:

What I meant is they are not new tiers to upgrade to, ex. paying to upgrade to 150/65. they just replace the existing offerings, 35/35 would now be 75/35 and so on.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Fireguyy:

said by serge87:

said by Fireguyy:

What I meant is they are not new tiers to upgrade to, ex. paying to upgrade to 150/65. they just replace the existing offerings, 35/35 would now be 75/35 and so on.

For a $10 one-time charge?
--
Grand Funk Railroad and Deep Purple aren't in the R+R HoF? That's tragic.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by kingdome74:

For a $10 one-time charge?

No. $10/month
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Fireguyy

reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

GPON is 1.2Gbps upstream, so 1200/32 = 37.5 .. hrm. That number sounds familiar!

Seems like Verizon might be keeping the upstream around 35Mbps/per user (without fluff) to ensure everybody gets full speed. Obviously not every splitter will have a full 32 users uploading at all times, so in most cases they could easily increase the upload cap without anybody noticing. But that that point, like McBane said, their whole "cable is shared" argument goes to crap - they'd be doing the same thing with their network.

You would also be assuming that every customer on that PON is subscribed to the highest speeds available. So yes it is shared by a max of 32, possibly 64 in some newer areas. However, consider you could possibly be sharing bandwidth with up to 2000, realisticly probably less, customers per node with a cable company.