uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pepsiman

join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Vamp

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers

said by Vamp:

Not to shabby... But it did change my IP which made my routing and ping slightly higher to that particular test server (vs 5-6ms).

Speed test from »myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
Test Type: Application Speed
Download Speed: 153382 kbps
Upload Speed: 71938 kbps
Speed Consistency: 99 %
Round Trip Time: 6 ms
Max Delay: 5 ms
Average Delay: 1 ms
Bandwidth: 192000 kbps
Forced Idle: 66 %
Route Concurrency: 1.3

sunbk

join:2012-06-16
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jarablue
its so nice that with the new 75/35 i'm getting 84.xx/35.xx

almost 10mb more noice

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
I actually downloaded from a fast server and was getting just over 10MB/s (80+ mbps).

--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue

FYI for those whom may consider the change from 35/35 , which is what I changed from

Looks like the line 50/25 is provisioned for 58/38, so its actually better than the old 35/5 tier and less cost

Note, the upload to speedtest.net is limited by the latency ( ping ), we in Florida don't have any public test servers will low pings

c17chief

join:2001-12-27
Bordentown, NJ
reply to jarablue
Would calling be consistently better then what is offered on the web? I've been on extreme + 20/5 for $79 for a long time way out of contract. On the website, going to 50/25 is + $25 for $115/mo, or 75/35 for + $30 for $120/mo.

Of course I'd like to move up to 50/25 for $5 or $10 more, or better yet 75/35 for an additional 5 over that...but I dont want to pay $25-$30 more not to mention contract again on top of that. Doesnt seem very attractive.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Mine is double play, prime TV and 50/25 internet for 99 month, did it online.

There always seems to be someone whom can jawbone a lower rate, so I guess anything is possible, I'm not found of hours on the phone to save 5 bucks month

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue
Ordered the 150/75 and they need to have the installer come out on Saturday (not sure why). I already have a rev I router. To my surprise, VZ shipped me 2 boxes today. Opened them both, I have 2 shiny new rev I routers sitting in the boxes. Not sure why?

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
said by mig288:

Ordered the 150/75 and they need to have the installer come out on Saturday (not sure why). I already have a rev I router. To my surprise, VZ shipped me 2 boxes today. Opened them both, I have 2 shiny new rev I routers sitting in the boxes. Not sure why?

You already have a GPON ONT? If so, then the installer appointment is not needed at all.

Raven313

join:2001-12-17
Crofton, MD
reply to jarablue
Can we get a few more posted speedtests for 50/25? I'm in Maryland and wondering what kind of speed is actually provisioned. If I thought I would get 55/30, that is a no brainer "downgrade" from what I have now which gets me 42/38.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to UofMiamiGrad
said by UofMiamiGrad:

You already have a GPON ONT? If so, then the installer appointment is not needed at all.

Yes, I have the GPON ONT. I'm not exactly sure why they have to come out. Am I missing something?

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Raven313
said by Raven313:

Can we get a few more posted speedtests for 50/25? I'm in Maryland and wondering what kind of speed is actually provisioned. If I thought I would get 55/30, that is a no brainer "downgrade" from what I have now which gets me 42/38.

I saw some people getting 58/38 on the 50/25 plan

Pepsiman

join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to mig288
said by mig288:

said by UofMiamiGrad:

Yes, I have the GPON ONT. I'm not exactly sure why they have to come out. Am I missing something?

Because they need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane
said by McBane:

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a 75/35 speed test is posted somewhere in this thread, and they were complaining about no fluff. There may be a little fluff but don't expect the huge increase that was on the 35/35 or 25/25 plans.

This is to be expected because 75Mbps down is already pushing the limits of BPON down. It is already incredibly dumb for Verizon to provision anything above 50Mbps down on BPON. If people are expecting the "fluff" on 75Mbps BPON that is just going to oversaturate your switch really quick and give you less than what you're already getting.

It's all in the simple math. 622 down for BPON / 75Mbps = 8.3

If 9 of those 32 people on your splitter are downloading at 75Mbps, kiss your fios goodbye, you may as well be on dialup.

Before all of you complain about no fluff on 75/35, complain about the real problem. It should have been a GPON service just like the 150+ tiers are where there is plenty of bandwidth to support the product on the fiber switches.

LOL. That is kind of an argument with upstream because hat is more heavily oversold but even then. You do realize cable's ratio of over-subscription of bandwidth in the realm of 10-20 times worse than VZ FIOS right?

The odds of 32 users all downloading and saturation the down link are *extremely* unlikely. I mean we have two racks of 2u servers with 4TB+ of disk space each (shared with hundreds of users on each). Even these 32 servers don't saturate 1gbit uplink on the edge switch and its pretty rare to even exceed 600 megabits. You really think that end-users are going to use more bandwidth *downloading* than servers do on upload? Get real.

This is even assuming all 32 ports have customers on them which that in itself is kind of unlikely.

Honestly i think VZ could offer up to 150 megabits on BPON without running into issues but with the limits of MOCA and 100m ethernet on the ONT's that obviously wont happen. The Measily 150 mbit upstream though is IMHO more likely to have something happen as it doesn't take a lot of users saturating that (which is easier to keep saturated for long periods of time) depending on the type of users using the conneciton.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA
I seem to be getting a bit of "fluff" with the 75/35 plan in a BPON area. I pretty consistently on the speed tests (regardless of who) get 84/35 on the tests. Though in real world, most downloads seem to stop just shy of 10mb/s. Also a funny note, Speedtest.net is a bit off with their math I think (this is even VPNed home viewing a server via RDP):

I moved the week before the speed bump from a Comcast to a FIOS area. I had the Comcast Blast! tier with a DOCSIS3 modem which did the bursting on downloads (I would usually cap around 4mb/s before it started to drop). However I got no where near the consistant speeds I see here with FIOS.

-Mike

Raven313

Crofton, MD
reply to Chris123NT
I just sidegraded from 35/35 to 50/25 so we'll see what I get. If I get over 30 up I'll keep it, otherwise I'll probably go for 75/35.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Be good to confirm what I'm seeing which is 58/38 to the Verizon Speed Test

Hispanic

join:2000-01-22
Hoboken, NJ
reply to jarablue
Looks like I can now order the 150mb/65mb bundle package. Previously, the highest I could get was 75/35 and 50/25 before the quantum release. I thought i was going to be stuck with BPON only. I placed the upgrade online, and they are sending a new router and i'm assuming tech will replace ONT on the install date.

pappy97

join:2007-03-12
Dallas, TX
said by Hispanic:

Looks like I can now order the 150mb/65mb bundle package. Previously, the highest I could get was 75/35 and 50/25 before the quantum release. I thought i was going to be stuck with BPON only. I placed the upgrade online, and they are sending a new router and i'm assuming tech will replace ONT on the install date.

You are VERY VERY lucky. I called today and talked to a clueless "Tech support" CSR (I was told Tech Support were the people to call about when the 150/65 tier will be available to me in Wylie, Texas, they wouldn't transfer me to a local office. I didn't even try to explain BPON v. GPON, especially not when "Tech support" first tried to say that 150/65 was in New York only). They said "it's not an issue with equipment, we just launched this. Just wait a month or two and keep checking with us."

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to jarablue

75/35 Fluff

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to jarablue

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers

I currently have double play(extreme HD and 25/25 internet) paying $99 a month base. How much will my bill go up if I upgrade to the 50/25 internet?

gordonw

join:2008-05-01
Norwood, MA
reply to jarablue
Just upgraded to 50/25 tier. Activation suppose to take place Monday. Hoping its sooner, but do I need to reboot either my ONT or wireless router?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
VZ should take care of all of the things necessary

vnephos

join:2012-06-22
Richmond, VA
reply to jarablue
I currently have 35/35 Flex Double with Ultimate HD TV for $114, moving to 50/25 indicates a price bump to $134. Does this sound correct?

Thanks!

sambo

@cityofwhittier.org
has anyone been able to get new tier plan but pay the same price if they talk to retention dept?

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pepsiman
said by Pepsiman:

Because they need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.

That makes sense. I wonder, would they run another ethernet cable to my second room upstairs? My wireless connection in the 2nd room doesn't get the best signal and running speed tests on that computer is showing slower speeds because of the weak signal. Any suggestions?

Raven313

Crofton, MD
reply to jarablue
I got the speeds I was hoping for!

Raven313

Crofton, MD
reply to vnephos
said by vnephos:

I currently have 35/35 Flex Double with Ultimate HD TV for $114, moving to 50/25 indicates a price bump to $134. Does this sound correct?

Thanks!

Shouldn't be that big a difference. Check to make sure Digital Voice didn't get added into that 2nd price.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
reply to jarablue
I checked the upgrade center

My plan is now Prime for TV and the 50/25 for 99.99

114.99 would be Extreme and 50/20
134.99 would be Ultimate and 50/20

I don't have FDV anymore the above is double play pricing

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to jarablue
..so if your CO is BPON, what is the max speed supported?

Is it 50/25? or 75/35?

I'm seeing conflicting info on this.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
It depends on your ONT. Some models will only support up to the 50/25 package and they don't seem to be offering upgrades if GPON is not in your area. The other BPON ONTs seem to handle 75/35 well.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!