mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288 to jarablue

Premium Member

to jarablue

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers

FIOS installer just finished up installing ethernet.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to sambo

Premium Member

to sambo
said by sambo :

has anyone been able to get new tier plan but pay the same price if they talk to retention dept?

In my case any move away from my 35/35 plan will cost me. What I thought was interesting is that I can move to 50/25 (I thought it was 20 but the woman insisted it was 25) and downgrade my TV package and it would still cost me 20 bucks more. I guess I'll stay a free agent.

Nice speeds, Mig.
SL83
join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY

SL83

Yeah, if I switch to 3/1 internet from 35/35 it will cost me 15 bucks more.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

It's weird how it's setup like that

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to SL83

Premium Member

to SL83
Of course every area has it's own pricing so there's no general rule of thumb. Heck, even the speeds are seemingly random. There's are posters to the north a few blocks of me and south a few blocks and they can't get the same speeds I can.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to jarablue

to jarablue
I was thinking about upgrading off my 15/5 and Prime package till I thought about it and realized that everything in the house is wireless thus limiting my speed to the throughput of the N wireless speed. Oh well....

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by Teasip:

I was thinking about upgrading off my 15/5 and Prime package till I thought about it and realized that everything in the house is wireless thus limiting my speed to the throughput of the N wireless speed. Oh well....

I can get 50mbs+ on my budget 25 dollar Cisco M20 "N" router I use as an AP, perfect for the 50/25 plan
Stevies3
join:2001-12-29
Woodbury, NY

Stevies3 to jarablue

to jarablue
Just updated today from 35/35 to 75/35. Took all but 10 minutes...

Teasip
Plano, TX

Teasip to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
OK, I guess the joke is on me. For whatever reason I was thinking that a wireless N network wouldn't be able to fully utilize the 50/25 speed package. For that matter, even after Googling the issue, I'm not sure what a realistic cap would be for the wireless N network.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Depends on "which" N you have

You have 20mhz and 40mhz channels
You have 2.4 and 5.8gz radios
You can have one to I believe I have seen 6 antennas

You can have connection/data rates from 65-300Mhz

At a connection/data rate of 75mhz, single 2.4ghz I was getting right at 50mps, this is the cheapest N router I could find, its on NewEgg for 25 bucks including shipping

Typically, the maximum data rates are ~60% of the connection rate, this is due to the forward error-correction protocols of wireless.

If you spend the money for dual radio and MIMO on BOTH the router and Client you can get into the 180mps rates in a quiet location ( no interference from other wireless networks )

They certainly don't make it easy for the consumer!
Cablefish
join:2002-01-19
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish to Stevies3

to Stevies3
Hmm. I placed my same order on Friday and I am set for Monday some time. Still at 35/35 now.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

Chris123NT

said by Cablefish:

Hmm. I placed my same order on Friday and I am set for Monday some time. Still at 35/35 now.

Did you have to upgrade to digital voice at the same time as well? If so that will hold up the speed increase, it will take effect as soon as your phone is converted to DV. That's how it was for me.
Cablefish
join:2002-01-19
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish

Already have DV. I cycled the router just for laughs though. No change. I can wait.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Chris123NT

Premium Member

to Chris123NT
Any Internet change you make you must upgrade to digital voice. Vz won't let you keep freedom essentials
GratefulDude
join:2012-06-23
Plano, TX

GratefulDude to jarablue

to jarablue
I've currently got 35/35 and and want to upgrade, but I'm getting some conflicting info regarding the routers. My current router is the Actiontec Rev. C. We've got a lot of wireless devices, and I don't think they would benefit from an upgrade if I continue to use the same router. I've done the online chat with VZ three times and they all said that both the 75/35 and 150/65 plans would still use the Rev. C.... and that I'd have to pay for a new router if I wanted one. But when I try to do the online upgrade myself, there is a footnote on the 150/65 plan saying that a router fee is being waived. I know I could buy my own wireless "n" and hook it up to this old Actiontec, but I still think it'd be nice for them to throw in a router. For those that upgraded from 35/35, how did they handle the router?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

150/65 and 300/65 will definitely get you a new router (Rev I).

For 75/35, you don't need a new router. A few (one or two) people reported receiving one in the mail, but it's not normal procedure to send out a new one.

Even with a new router, if the majority of your devices are 802.11g (or b), you'll see no speed increase. You'd have to run a separate 802.11n network and have 802.11n devices to get the most out of it.

Pepsiman
join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY

Pepsiman to mig288

to mig288
said by mig288:

said by Pepsiman:

Because they need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.

That makes sense. I wonder, would they run another ethernet cable to my second room upstairs? My wireless connection in the 2nd room doesn't get the best signal and running speed tests on that computer is showing slower speeds because of the weak signal. Any suggestions?

I believe they only run one Ethernet cable to your main router.
GratefulDude
join:2012-06-23
Plano, TX

GratefulDude to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

I think for us a switch to 802.11n is long overdue - almost all of our devices are 802.11n. Somehow every time I turn around there's a new device hooked up, and I guess I've kinda been asleep at the wheel and didn't notice that almost everything is now 802.11n.

Teasip
Plano, TX

Teasip

GratefulDude, I'm with you that for those of us in our locale we have too many options in obtaining what we need to upgrade unlike those who don't have immediate access to the BB's, Fry's, OD, Micro Center's etc., not to mention online availability. That's why I had been wondering where my speeds would cap out at running an N network at my home (at what point would the wireless bottleneck despite the actual download/upload) and would I be able to benefit from increasing from 15/5 to 50/25 since I have one of the original BPON/6xx ONT's that they deployed here. My CO off Legacy is still BPON best I can tell. My wife and I are still on the second 3g iPhones from years back so we have to allow for B/G wireless if we choose to utilize the network on our phones. As a result, I have my Airport Extreme set to N, but allowing for B/G which slows everything down.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to jarablue

to jarablue
Everytime I go to the VZ website to upgrade it keeps giving me some error when I reach the upgrade screen and says to call local office - Is that what others are seeing?

I hate calling them and dealing with all their up sell.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

said by QuaffAPint:

Everytime I go to the VZ website to upgrade it keeps giving me some error when I reach the upgrade screen and says to call local office - Is that what others are seeing?

Trying using a different browser. If that doesn't work, you might not have a choice other than calling in.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

Chris123NT to QuaffAPint

to QuaffAPint
said by QuaffAPint:

I had to call and it was really no trouble, the rep was knowledgeable and took care of everything very quickly, but then again maybe i got lucky.
cram501
join:2008-11-29
Ashburn, VA

cram501 to QuaffAPint

to QuaffAPint
said by QuaffAPint:

I had the same issue in Virginia. I just pinged the customer service rep using their chat function and he gave me an alternate URL.

I ordered 150/65 last Monday. The BPON ONT was swapped out on Friday along with the new a new "I" router. It's working as expected. I get about 154/70 on most of the speed tests.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to Teasip

to Teasip
said by Teasip:

As a result, I have my Airport Extreme set to N, but allowing for B/G which slows everything down.

Having a mixed b/g/n network doesn't slow anything down. If you have a b/g device and an n device they communicate at whatever their highest speeds are that your AP supports.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by McBane:

said by Teasip:

As a result, I have my Airport Extreme set to N, but allowing for B/G which slows everything down.

Having a mixed b/g/n network doesn't slow anything down. If you have a b/g device and an n device they communicate at whatever their highest speeds are that your AP supports.

Incorrect , view item #3.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· 1n-speed

Teasip
Plano, TX

Teasip to jarablue

to jarablue
I concur. If I were to turn off my network access on my geriatric iPhone then the only items on the network would be N network, thus N speeds. However, since I have the iPhone network access on everything slows down. You're only as fast as your slowest component, or so it has been my understanding.
DBLClick
join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA

DBLClick

One Option is to get an Access point that supports both 2.4 and 5 Ghz band. This will allow you to run dual channels. One side can be for your slower device B/G and one for the N. I do so on my setup and it works quite effectively.
Stevies3
join:2001-12-29
Woodbury, NY

Stevies3 to jarablue

to jarablue
I have the 612 ONT, what's the fastest this model can be used for?
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by Stevies3:

I have the 612 ONT, what's the fastest this model can be used for?

75/35 package!

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 edit

danclan

Click for full size
Lovely 610 ONT
I am entering Verizon CSR hell....having made now 4 calls since last Monday they say it will take another week to determine why my address isn't able to get a triple play...which I just refuse to believe.

Sure they are crushed with orders since the new tiers rolled out but seriously I've not received a single call back, ive be re-routed several times to hear the same story...GAH!! It's not rocket science, they have to replace the ONT since i have the Tellabs 610x which isnt DV capable...

So I may just force the issue and get the 150/65 stand alone which will force the ONT upgrade then I can triple bundle then deal with billing to sort out the resulting mess....I am so excited I can't stand it.

My Lovely ONT...