Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stevies3

join:2001-12-29
Woodbury, NY
reply to UofMiamiGrad

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers

No wonder that was my limit, But they didn't offer any higher speeds. Perhaps it's not in my area?

CBowen

@verizon.net
Stevies3, Which phone plan do you have? I am on Freedom Essentials, regular phone service and the fastest I can get is 35/35. If I want faster service I need to switch to Digital Voice. I don't know if I can switch over since it wasn't offered on the web and the web chat thingy didn't mention it.

Stevies3

join:2001-12-29
Woodbury, NY
I have Digital Voice unlimited.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to CBowen
said by CBowen :

Stevies3, Which phone plan do you have? I am on Freedom Essentials, regular phone service and the fastest I can get is 35/35. If I want faster service I need to switch to Digital Voice. I don't know if I can switch over since it wasn't offered on the web and the web chat thingy didn't mention it.

You need to search out nearby neighbors via web lookup and see if they are eligible for DV( instructions are in this thread, I use private browsing session and enter their address then say existing service isnt mine but im moving in and the current customer will disconnect via different order).

You can also look and see what model ONT you have to see if it's an older model that doesnt support DV. Once you have confirmed if your neighbors can get it, and that your ONT does/does NOT support then you will know what options you have.

nrr

@verizon.net
reply to opinionmine

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers?

I got a similar deal, but when I click the tab, which shows the details, it seems for the first 9 months it is only $5/mo more; for the next 9 it is $10/mo more and for the last 6 months it is $25/mo more. Since I am NOT under contract now, and would be committing to 2 years, I don't think the offer is that great.
Maybe I'm not reading the detail correctly.

tannor

join:2005-08-06
Newburgh, NY
So I upgraded form 35/35 to 75/35 and now it says in order status a tech is coming out tomorrow between 8 - 12

Any ideas why? I have a 612 ONT already. can't they do this all remotely

KramarK

join:2012-06-30
I wanted the new faster speeds but when I tried to upgrade it said it wasn't available. I have Freedom Essentials and wanted Digital Voice and that wasn't available either. When I went online and checked availability I pretended I was a new customer and for my address it said Digital Voice and Quantum was available.

I called my local billing office and spoke to a fairly knowledgeable account rep. She said only a VERY, VERY small portion of customers cannot get Quantum or Digital Voice so she did some digging in to my account. She noticed some odd things with my account and put me on hold for a bit. She then told me my account was "locked" and that lock wouldn't allow a large portion of the available upgrades to be displayed as being available when checked either online or when calling in. She said the account would have to be fixed by their technical team and that she'd call me back the following day.

She didn't call back the following day so I called and spoke to another representative who insisted that Quantum and Digital Voice were NOT available at my house. I explained what the other rep told me and she knew nothing about that type of problem. I told her when I went online and pretended to establish new service at my address it said Quantum and Digital Voice was available. She said that was incorrect information.

Not getting anywhere, I went online and just put in a new order. I didn't login to my existing account but went to the Verizon home page and made like I was ordering new service. There was actually an option for "Moving" so I selected that. I entered my existing account login information that they asked for and when they asked for the new address I just entered my existing address but added "Unit #2" to the address. The system came back with a message that said something like, "There is existing service at this address." with two options, "Option #1: I am moving in to this address and want to establish new service after the current resident moves out." and "Option #2: This service is in addition to the existing service already there." (I don't remember the exact wording but you get the idea). I selected the second option. When it came back with a list of the available services it had Digital Voice and Quantum 75/35 as being available. It also asked me to select the disconnection date for my existing service and told me a technician would have to come out for the new service. So I just made the disconnection date the same date as the new installation.

My thoughts are this:

I think Verizon has two different systems that check availability. One that checks the local Central Office only as to what is available out of the Central Office and one that checks the actual address and what ONT equipment is already there. The reason I think this is because my parents had a FiOS line and a POTS line. They wanted their POTS number disconnected and moved to the FiOS line and the easiest way to do that was to actually disconnect the existing FiOS line and establish new FiOS service on the POTS line. Before the new FiOS was installed I checked their existing FiOS account and they were on Freedom Essentials with 35 MB service and no option to upgrade to Digital Voice or Quantum. After the technician installed a new ONT I went online and checked their account. They were still on Freedom Essentials with 35 MB but they now had upgrade options of Digital Voice and Quantum. So I upgraded them and when I did that their bill actually went down by about $30 a month even though they were getting faster speeds.

The old ONT at my parent's house that the technician replaced was the same as the ONT I currently have at my house. (White boxes, not the big gray one.) Their new ONT is also white but has different ports and stuff. If I am correct some ONT's are not compatible with Digital Voice and certain Quantum speeds. Verizon doesn't want to replace those ONT's so they tell you Quantum and Digital Voice are not available at your specific address even though the Central Office is capable of delivering it.

The other thing is my home was one of the first homes to have FiOS when it became available in late 2004/early 2005 in Pennsylvania. I know for a fact that my account was under a very old billing system that encountered dozens of technical problems and they actually had to build my account all over again in late 2007/early 2008 and that's when they replaced my old gray ONT with the current white one and gave me a new phone number. If you ask me my account is STILL screwed up because my old phone number is still "attached" to my current account as being active to me even though the old phone number has be re-assigned & is being billed to someone else. That problem may be what is causing my account to be "locked" and still messed up to this day...who knows.

The installation date for the "new service" is set for July 3rd so we shall see what happens and I will report back the results.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
Geez, what an ordeal. You know what they need to do? CBS needs to do an Undercover Boss with the head of Verizon and let the CEO see all this stuff. Ah never mind; he already knows and frankly realizes that the cost to fix the problem doesn't result in greater income than what they already have from FiOS. Business 101...

KramarK

reply to danclan

said by danclan:

said by CBowen :

You need to search out nearby neighbors via web lookup and see if they are eligible for DV( instructions are in this thread, I use private browsing session and enter their address then say existing service isnt mine but im moving in and the current customer will disconnect via different order).

Searching your neighbors is not always accurate even with private browsing. I have found that different results are given based on the geographical area and whether or not they are upgrading services in that area. It also depends on the equipment already installed at a location. My neighbor does not have FiOS equipment installed. If I enter their address and pretend I am moving there to establish service absolutely no FiOS services are listed as being available.

My address has 75/35. But my other neighbor only has the 50 MB service listed as being available. If you enter my address and say you are moving in as a new customer only the 50 MB service is listed as being available even though I have 75/35.

The whole damn thing is screwed up if you ask me.

Hispanic

join:2000-01-22
Hoboken, NJ
Click for full size
I got my service upgraded to the 150mb tier today. I'm happy.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to KramarK

said by KramarK:

The installation date for the "new service" is set for July 3rd so we shall see what happens and I will report back the results.

Any update? Did the install/upgrade happen as scheduled?

KramarK

Yes something happened. Yes it is good even though I won't have service until Thursday. Here's what happened:

My existing service was disconnected sometime after 2am as it was off when I woke up at 8am.

I called Verizon in the early afternoon since I never received a phone call with an approximate arrival time for the technician. I got a knowledgeable rep who literally said, "Your account is jacked. I would like to use another word if you know what I mean."

Long story short my account was never properly migrated from their legacy system to the system that's presently in use. The result is every time I made a change to my service it would go in to the equivalent of a ghost account attached to my existing account and literally the crap would just pile up in there. Basically, work orders would be provisioned and then get "hung up" in this ghost account or whatever it was. So they had to dismantle the ghost account piece by piece then the existing account services piece by piece. And whatever they did worked because I even got a disconnect notice and return label for my Home Monitoring Kit that's supposed to be delivered Thursday. The system was so screwed up they found my ex-wife's old phone # attached to my account from when service was in her name back in 2007. That's how much crap was in their system. Even though that phone number has since been re-assigned and billed to someone else it is still "attached' to my account.

I called back again several hours later and I asked the rep where my account stood. He said that the existing phone service was still going through provisioning in their system but once disconnected I would be able to order new service. He recommended I order the new service online for the best deal and package available.

So about an hour later I went online and establish all new service as if I were a brand new customer. Everything was done online with a technician now scheduled to come out on Thursday between 8am and 12pm. So far everything looks good. I created a new MY VERIZON account login and from the looks of everything in MY VERIZON it appears everything is moving along exactly as it should for a brand new customer. Believe it or not I actually have a working email address with the new account already!

I don't mind waiting until Thursday if it means all this is going to get done correctly. I am using my cell phone as a wireless hub so I have internet to get me by until Thursday. I will be away all day July 4th so I am not missing very much.

The maximum speed available is 75/35 and I am not sure why I can't get 150 service. I hope I get the newest router as well.

I will report back more on Thursday!

KramarK

reply to UofMiamiGrad
HERE WE GO AGAIN...

I received an email this morning stating there was a problem with my order and to call Verizon. There was another email stating my installation date had been changed to August 6th!!!!!!!!!

So I called and since it's a July 4th holiday the rep said there was no staff working in the department to find out why the date change. But she brought up the order and was able to change the installation date back to July 5th.

So with any luck that date will stick in their system and I can at least get a technician out to my home.

What a freaking mess!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Been there done that

KramarK

Well after a week of frustration I am up and running. All it took was ONE person who knew what they were doing to fix it.

I received a call from a Verizon Rep about my scheduled appointment today. She said they couldn't do the install because a phone number was still showing as active at my address. (From when my ex-wife had service back in her name in 2008).

I explained that was from a legacy billing/provisioning system and the number had been disconnected years ago. So she said, "Oh, so our records are wrong?" to which I replied, "Most definitely." She then said she would take care of it. (INfamous last words!).

Well, within the hour I received an email confirmation of my appointment (same scheduled appt time frame as before) as well as a phone call from a technician who wanted to make sure I'd be home. He said he had to go pick up some equipment first and he'd be there in 30 minutes.

He swapped out my router for the newest Revision I as well as swapped out my Motorola Black DVR for a Cisco DVR. I am getting 80-84 down speeds. New setup box is better than Motorola's as well.

I asked him about 150/65 where I live and he said the CO I am at is definitely hybrid GPON & BPON but that my particular area within the CO is 75/35 max. He said it would just be a matter of time (how much time is unknown) before everything is converted over to GPON. But I am happy with the speed I am getting especially since all but one of my devices is wireless. He did say that when the higher speeds are available I am good to go and will just need a ONT change since he left the Ethernet connection from the ONT to my router intact. (Not that he would un-install the wire anyway).

The only problem I have now is I received a follow-up voicemail from one of the reps at Verizon who was assisting me who said my problems were almost all fixed and she'd call me back tomorrow. So apparently she isn't aware I am up and running. LOL.

pappy97

join:2007-03-12
Dallas, TX
reply to jarablue

This implies there is hope for those of us in BPON land who want GPON tiers:

Me [redacted] þ@Me
@VerizonSupport When will Wylie, TX (75098) will be upgraded to GPON and thus get 150 and 300 tiers? Cant get a str8 ans anywhere. Thx!!

Verizon Support þ@VerizonSupport
@Me We are rolling the updates out as fast as we can unfortunately I can't give you specifics ^PC

It's at least something.

destroyah

join:2005-04-20
Norwalk, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to jarablue
Also got my upgrade today on my doubleplay. Used to be on the off-contract 25/15 bundle with freedom essentials. Now I'm on the 50/25 bundle with DV. Speeds are clocking in at 56/37 here in Norwalk, California on BPON with my Westell 9100EM and stock Motorola ONT. So happy there is so much fluff and hope it does not go away.

Edit: Hmm, it seems that it tests higher using either VZ's speedtest or on Speedtest.net at 58+/36+ and better yet, it stays constant.

--
--50/25 FIOS ~ 58D--36U--

derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA
reply to jarablue
I just upgraded this evening from 15/5 to 50/25 (triple play bundle). How quick is Verizon at enabling the faster speeds? It says it will be ready 7/11/12... does this happen at like midnight or do I have to wait for them to manually do something?

spartan002
Premium
join:2008-12-22
Brampton, ON
damn you guys south sure are lucky. meanwhile in canada, we get the new amazingly fast 128kb down/64kb up connection for $90 with a 1gb usage limit.

derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA
Ouch that sucks!

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
15 minutes from the Canadian border here and I've got options but am still dealing with a 1Mbps/384kbps connection with no data limit (yet) while I hold out for FiOS!

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

said by serge87:

said by Jackarino:

I wonder if all of these speed upgrades that are coming will affect consistency and quality of service..

That's when X-GPON comes into play (hopefully within the next 10 years)

They haven't even affected BPON around here yet. I still get 43/35 speeds anytime of the day, any day of the year.

Yes but Verizon refuses to upgrade BPON to GPON. Regardless of what the press release stated. Pushing Quantum while talking out of both sides if their mouths.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
I believe that X-GPON will become available in the next 2 years.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Not sure where you heard that, but there is no production X-GPON equipment available from any Verizon OLT vendor yet - so its kind of hard to predict anything. 2 years is way too soon.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
The next gen would be EPON running at 10GB, the specs and gear are currently all under review and lab only at this point. Any deployment would be 2-3 years off at the earliest and that's probably being generous but who knows with the pace of tech sometimes.

The cable fanboys keep tossing EPoC as their next cure all for what ails coax.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to nycdave
I believe the XG-PON's will be available for Verizon and other companies to purchase and use in their Main Facilities around then, so in theory those ONTs will get the homes of customers a couple years afar that, since XG-PON is backwards compatible with GPON.

Everyone could get standard 300/325mbps connections, like everyone can get 15/5 now.

I have read this somewhere, and will try to find if I bookmarked it, so I can post a link.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danclan
i believe EPON is Not Backwards Compatible like GPON and XG-PON is/will be.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue

Is there some way my account can be cleared or whatever has to be done so I can compare plans online? I've asked three different CSR people and they said they'd do it but I keep getting the "call local office"... duh, I bought a computer so I can... shop online? I know it's not a cookie because I've tried it on 6 different computers - one of them was a clean install yesterday - and no joy.

Jay_Are
J.R.
Premium
join:2004-04-10
Sicklerville, NJ
said by kingdome74:

Is there some way my account can be cleared or whatever has to be done so I can compare plans online? I've asked three different CSR people and they said they'd do it but I keep getting the "call local office"... duh, I bought a computer so I can... shop online? I know it's not a cookie because I've tried it on 6 different computers - one of them was a clean install yesterday - and no joy.

I was receiving the same prompt for several months. In my case, a pending order not going through was causing the error.
--
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to kingdome74
Is there any way to call the "local office" ???