share rss forum feed

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to derekivey

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers

15 minutes from the Canadian border here and I've got options but am still dealing with a 1Mbps/384kbps connection with no data limit (yet) while I hold out for FiOS!

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaronwt

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers?

said by aaronwt:

said by serge87:

said by Jackarino:

I wonder if all of these speed upgrades that are coming will affect consistency and quality of service..

That's when X-GPON comes into play (hopefully within the next 10 years)

They haven't even affected BPON around here yet. I still get 43/35 speeds anytime of the day, any day of the year.

Yes but Verizon refuses to upgrade BPON to GPON. Regardless of what the press release stated. Pushing Quantum while talking out of both sides if their mouths.

webcobbler

@verizon.net

I believe that X-GPON will become available in the next 2 years.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14

Not sure where you heard that, but there is no production X-GPON equipment available from any Verizon OLT vendor yet - so its kind of hard to predict anything. 2 years is way too soon.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

The next gen would be EPON running at 10GB, the specs and gear are currently all under review and lab only at this point. Any deployment would be 2-3 years off at the earliest and that's probably being generous but who knows with the pace of tech sometimes.

The cable fanboys keep tossing EPoC as their next cure all for what ails coax.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to nycdave

I believe the XG-PON's will be available for Verizon and other companies to purchase and use in their Main Facilities around then, so in theory those ONTs will get the homes of customers a couple years afar that, since XG-PON is backwards compatible with GPON.

Everyone could get standard 300/325mbps connections, like everyone can get 15/5 now.

I have read this somewhere, and will try to find if I bookmarked it, so I can post a link.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danclan

i believe EPON is Not Backwards Compatible like GPON and XG-PON is/will be.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue

Is there some way my account can be cleared or whatever has to be done so I can compare plans online? I've asked three different CSR people and they said they'd do it but I keep getting the "call local office"... duh, I bought a computer so I can... shop online? I know it's not a cookie because I've tried it on 6 different computers - one of them was a clean install yesterday - and no joy.

Jay_Are
J.R.
Premium
join:2004-04-10
Sicklerville, NJ

said by kingdome74:

Is there some way my account can be cleared or whatever has to be done so I can compare plans online? I've asked three different CSR people and they said they'd do it but I keep getting the "call local office"... duh, I bought a computer so I can... shop online? I know it's not a cookie because I've tried it on 6 different computers - one of them was a clean install yesterday - and no joy.

I was receiving the same prompt for several months. In my case, a pending order not going through was causing the error.
--
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to kingdome74

Is there any way to call the "local office" ???

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

My "local" office in 220 miles away in Manhattan. I've called several times and so far they haven't succeeded which sucks because I want to see the local prices for the area I live in. I can put in a neighbors address but that doesn't show exactly the prices I would get.

bigbadmitch
Premium
join:2009-04-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jarablue

No sure where everyone is getting that you will be upgraded free I just had a chat with support and they said if I wanted the new speed I would have to pay for it. I told them I have 35/35 plan and since they don't have it any more shouldn't I be given the new teir freee they said I will have to pay the price increase.
Can someone please tell me what is happening do they know what they are talking about should I wait and see should I cycle my router? should I call and speak to someone in tech support?
I'm really confused now
Thanks
--
Mitch
»www.3alienswebhosting.com/ Out of this World Hosting
»bloginsphere.com/ free Blogs

bigbadmitch
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

I just search and found this
»www.fiercecable.com/story/verizo···12-06-18

prisaz

Germantown, MD

To get the same price you pay now, you will be downgraded, or pay the increase in price, with it comes the faster speed. Like it or not. Plain and simple. Quantumly. BLEEPED

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to bigbadmitch

Nobody ever said the upgrades would be free. It's been stated many, many times in multiple threads that you have to pay to upgrade.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bigbadmitch
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

A fee people did One even said I cycled my router and nothing yet.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

It depends on your ONT. Some models will only support up to the 50/25 package and they don't seem to be offering upgrades if GPON is not in your area. The other BPON ONTs seem to handle 75/35 well.

Does this ONT handle 75/35?
ONT1000JI

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Nobody ever said the upgrades would be free. It's been stated many, many times in multiple threads that you have to pay to upgrade.

Apparently, Comcast is taking a different approach...

"Confirming another early scoop by Broadband Reports, the company has announced they're also doubling the speed of the existing Xfinity Blast! and Extreme 50 customers at no additional charge, from 25 to 50 Mbps and 50 to 105 Mbps, respectively."

»Comcast Confirms Our Scoop: 305 Mbps Coming Soon

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Steely:

said by Thinkdiff:

Apparently, Comcast is taking a different approach...

"Confirming another early scoop by Broadband Reports, the company has announced they're also doubling the speed of the existing Xfinity Blast! and Extreme 50 customers at no additional charge, from 25 to 50 Mbps and 50 to 105 Mbps, respectively."

»Comcast Confirms Our Scoop: 305 Mbps Coming Soon

With a 300GB cap and speeds that slowdown during peak hours? I would much rather pay more at FiOS for consistent speeds with no cap.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14

And just wait until Comcast decides to 'exempt' its 305Mb tier from the 300GB cap - what fun the net neutrality fans will have....

sg

join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ
reply to jarablue

Comcast currently has no cap. Their 300GB cap is going to be trialed in Nashville starting in August

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

1 edit
reply to jarablue

Okay guys. If you all want to discuss Comcast and their new speed tiers, please do it in the news article not here.

»Exclusive: Comcast Prepping 305 Mbps Tier

Expand your moderator at work

pappy97

join:2007-03-12
Dallas, TX
reply to jarablue

So has anyone in a BPON area, where they could not order the 150 or 300 tiers online, been able to convince a rep via phone to let the 150 or 300 order go through and then they get upgraded to GPON?

I have yet to see one person report as much for residential, and only seen one get the order through on small business.

Anyone? Thanks!

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

As in the other thread pappy97, I'm anxious to see how this plays out as well. I know that I'm still BPON and I don't know that my CO, as noted in the other thread, has GPON.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 edit

IIRC, I believe Verizon's online system is sophisticated enough to distinguish if your CO has deployed GPON alongside BPON for those COs that got upgraded. So if you're currently on BPON and the online system says you're eligible for a 100+ mbps tier, then your CO also has GPON. If the 100+ tiers arn't available to you online, then your CO is only BPON. Of course there might be very few exceptions where the online data is inaccurate.

It'll be interesting to see how much demand in an area is needed for VZ to justify adding GPON to a CO. I'm not sure exactly what their criteria is - from things like number of subscribers, to capacity based on existing tiers subscribed, or based on the amount of remaining BPON equipment for new subscribers (or lack of BPON equipment).

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Nah, mine shows 75/35 only. Still stuck on BPON I guess.

mkunichi

join:2002-09-01
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Zero

A few weeks ago, the online upgrade center was showing a 150/65 bundle for me at $179 a month. This option is no longer available for me. The fasted tier listed is now 75/35 for $159. This is for a triple play with the Ultimate HD tv package.

I am in Hoboken, NJ (New York metro area).

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to jarablue

Well my upgrade saga continues....They finally figured out how to unbundled me to force a truck roll. They came today but they only upgraded the ONT to a newer BPON model, and managed to disable all the movie channels but epix...not sure how that happened.

So they will now re-push the movie packages and now try to bundle correctly and send yet another truck to replace with GPON model and switch me over to the final package of 150/65 along with DV and movies etc.... No eta yet on when that will happen...

I started this whole process back in Jun 18th...Im glad im patient....At least now the speeds are ~90/30 ish so its a step in the right direction the manager ive been dealing with has been very nice and I do get regular update calls from them.

prisaz

Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to pappy97

said by pappy97:

So has anyone in a BPON area, where they could not order the 150 or 300 tiers online, been able to convince a rep via phone to let the 150 or 300 order go through and then they get upgraded to GPON?

I have yet to see one person report as much for residential, and only seen one get the order through on small business.

Anyone? Thanks!

Not here in Montgomery County, Maryland. I went to the highest levels of Verizon and was first told they would need to install a splitter in my C/O to change a fiber feed to to handle the GPON. ~$1500 cost from the local budget. Then after an "engineering review", I was told that there was no GPON, and it would cost ~$8500, and to high a price for a single user. My question was, "how can you sell something to more than a single user, if you can't provide it"? This was to Mike Ritter's, office and discussed with a Sr. Staff Consultant Verizon Corporate Marketing - Broadband. It was kicked down to a consultant to follow up. The above answers are what I received through the engineering and marketing channels, from the top down. So it is a marketing issue. If you are in a market area where you only have one competitor, then forget it. Like for me, Verizon is in bed with Comcast, and Comcast is the only other broadband supplier. So it is BPON and 75/35 limit for now and any forseeable future. Really stinks from my point of view. Since that is not what the Quantum press release said. It sort of did when it said you must qualify for higher speeds. Well to quality, what is ment, Verizon marketing, and management must see a reason to compete with their bed fellows.(Comcast)