how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrkrupa

join:2007-06-27
Washington, DC

Westell 7500 config while bridged -- set time and other info

I have my westell 7500 modem set up in bridge mode. I use earthlink and I picked this unit up at a yard sale.

I run tomato on a WNR3500L wireless router. It allows me to plug in the modem address to access the bridged modem all the time!

Recently, I have had a problem with DSL light on modem indicated sync (solid green) but tomato shows I am not connected to internet. Not sure where the problem is but I started looking at the Westell config pages (I can unplug the phone line and re-sync the modem after which the router connects).

The westell unit has a lot of logs to read and a lot of different vlan configuration features. Before I get to far, the first thing is the clock is wrong. Even though I have tried to set the various time features for auto update of time, it has no effect and the logs are all from 2000. The modem does not refresh the time from the site listed. I am guessing I have to create a network to allow it to see the target.

The other question is why would the sync light be on but the connection to the router drop?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
#1 When you put the modem into bridge mode, you meant you followed the info that is at »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? ?

#2 Why does it matter if the time is wrong in it ?

#3 What type of connection is the WNR3500L set to use ?

Here are some example(s)..

a) PPPoE

b) DHCP

c) Static IP

#4 Is that Westell 7500:

a) standing up

OR

b) on it's bottom

?

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

mrkrupa

Washington, DC
I have a Westell 7500 that I set to bridge mode. It is simple enough using the web interface. Select bridge and you're pretty much done.

I connect with a dsl line to earthlink with a 3 Mbit/s up connection. The Netgear device handles the PPPOE. For the most part it is reliable. I can't say I get the whole 3 however and there are regular delays.

I run the latest "toastman" version of tomato on the router. I don't do anything crazy and don't use the QOS which is a big item with tomato. I do use the dsl modem acccess feature though.

The logs I am looking at are dsl westell 7500 modem logs. The device is pretty feature rich and produces a lot of logs. They all referenced to the internal clock which is supposed to be synced to a internet site. It doesn't sync so it's a little confusing trying to track lines against real time when I am looking to see what happened.

As I described, my initial problem was the dsl modem would indicate that it was synced but the Netgear device was disconnected. I have re-established the connection a couple of ways including power cycle modem. I also had success just unplugging the phone line to the dsl and replugging. I can't say whether the problem is in the modem or the router. I have to find some way to verify which device is messed up.

If the green dsl light is on that means it's synced and therefore that could be working . . . or not.

But to answer your question, I wanted to have logs with correct time to see when the fault occurred if (it was logged).

That last question I assume you mean how the modem is sitting? It is on the horizontal lying down position.

anon 595148

@verizon.net
said by mrkrupa:

The logs I am looking at are dsl westell 7500 modem logs. The device is pretty feature rich and produces a lot of logs. They all referenced to the internal clock which is supposed to be synced to a internet site. It doesn't sync so it's a little confusing trying to track lines against real time when I am looking to see what happened.

But to answer your question, I wanted to have logs with correct time to see when the fault occurred if (it was logged).

Ah, I see..

#1 In the Westell go to Advanced

#2 In there, there should be something about date and time.

#3 Please show a screen shot of what is at that screen.

a) »take-a-screenshot.org/

b) Then use the upload attachment feature.

mrkrupa

Washington, DC
Sure I am familiar ith that screen. I have triedto use several dif time sites to no avail. I even used my local net router since it sets the time on my network.

I am guessing that the modem cannot see outside its subnet.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by mrkrupa:

Sure I am familiar with that screen.

I will continue to wait.

said by mrkrupa:

I have tried to use several dif time sites to no avail. I even used my local net router since it sets the time on my network.

I am guessing that the modem cannot see outside its subnet.

Bingo. which is what bridge mode means.

Does not do NAT and does not have a WAN IP, WAN Subnet Mask, and WAN Default Gateway.

May or may not have at one DNS Server in there but that does not matter since it is in bridge mode.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mrkrupa
#1 In the tomato router go to Basic -> Network

#2 Check what is the Connect Mode is to.

#3 If is set to Keep Alive: What is the Check Interval set to?

#4 If is set to Connect on Demand: What is Max Idle Time set to?

#5 What is the MTU set to?
--