join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

I've always wondered... (stupid question probably)..

why don't all new TV's and video recorders have a built-in CableCARD slot so we don't have to mess with cable boxes? I wonder why this isn't a standard feature on TV's nowadays?

About 20 years ago, the FCC mandated that all TV's had to have built-in closed captioning and a CATV tuner... why not mandate cableCARD slots now that we're being forced to undergo the digital transition?

If all TV's had a built-in cableCARD and if the cable companies were to encrypt all the channels and drop NTSC altogether, and if we had the option to get the local channels OTA instead of from cable and save $10-$15 off our cable bills, that would be cool!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
to bad that some cable systems have SDV so the tv will need software + usb port to make that work as well.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to slyphoxj
Why would a cable company give you an option to save money? You clearly need to take Business Unethics 101 again!

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
said by bn1221:

Why would a cable company TV manufacturer give you an option to save money? You clearly need to take Business Unethics 101 again!

There... fixed it for you . Unless maybe the cable companies and the TV/video equipment manufacturers are somehow in cahoots with each other and the cableco's are asking the TV makers to not add CableCARD slots to their TV's?

Making such a feature available would appeal to quite a few folks maybe, just like LED backlighting and 1080p.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to slyphoxj
Because of cost, complexity, and lack of consumer demand, for the most part. Cablecard hasn't ever really been very well received, and even today it's not as hot as it ought to be.

It's not as simple as something like 1080P and LED backlit displays, but even today you can buy a cheap 720P TV. It's more expensive to add a cablecard slot, not to mention the extra software/circuitry to make it work, plus the support staff to help people with it when it gets wonky. Besides, people want stuff like on demand and channel guides, which don't work on cablecard. PPV works, but it takes a phonecall to order instead of just hitting a button on the remote.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to slyphoxj
I was referring to the Cavbleco dropping prices. But, to the other point, thats extra cost to a TV - how many people buy "smart" tvs? I have an Xbox and a Roku that does everything and sometimes more than what Smart TV does