Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

Advice for Davis Wx Station for Internet reporting/history

I'm looking to buy a Davis weather station so I can send weather to the Internet (Weather Underground?) and so I can create a historical weather database.

I'm pretty sure I don't need a console (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

I plan on getting the Envoy (6316) or Envoy8x (6318) and the Vantage Pro2 wireless weather station (6152 or 6153 w/fan). And also the WeatherLink software (6510USB). I'm pretty sure those are the only 3 things I need. I guess the Envoy8X is better in that it can support external databases or can export directly to Excel.

I will be hooking this up to my older computer (Pentium 4, Windows XP) which will always be on and hooked up to the Internet.

I figure I don't need a console because I hope I can get all the data that you would normally get off the console off my smartphone by going to my "page" on Weather Underground. Is that correct? Is Weather Underground the best place to use for reporting weather? That way my friends and family can check the weather at my place.

The second function I want out of this system is to create a database of historical weather. I would eventually like to be able to see what the weather was on a specific day of the year for the last 5, 10, 15 years (down the road, of course). This part I'm not sure about. I assume I would need database software or Excel. Is this something than can be done online with Weather Underground (or another site)? I would, of course, keep the data locally too and have back-ups. I figure I can log the data every 3 or 4 hours of the day for about 6 data point for each day. Any help or ideas or links on this subject would be appreciated.

So, if anyone has advice or comments regarding any aspect of this venture, I am looking forward to hearing them. Thank you.

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

You will get much better answers if you ask here

»www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=59.0
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

said by tobicat:

You will get much better answers if you ask here

»www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=59.0

Thank you!

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH
reply to shimonmor

quote:
The second function I want out of this system is to create a database of historical weather. I would eventually like to be able to see what the weather was on a specific day of the year for the last 5, 10, 15 years (down the road, of course). This part I'm not sure about. I assume I would need database software or Excel. Is this something than can be done online with Weather Underground (or another site)? I would, of course, keep the data locally too and have back-ups. I figure I can log the data every 3 or 4 hours of the day for about 6 data point for each day. Any help or ideas or links on this subject would be appreciated.
I have been doing this verything for my Father-in-laws Davis Vantage pro.

»www.fremont-oh-weather.com
--
Fremont, Ohio Weather
»www.Fremont-OH-weather.com

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shimonmor

For logging only, you don't need a console and can go with just an Envoy. The console can be handy if it is put in a "common area" location such as a kitchen, foyer, or similar. Note that both the console and envoy solutions include the barometer (the weather station does not provide this) and "indoor" temp/humidity sensors.

There are several options available for software. There are some that use just the Davis software while others use third-party (both commercial and free). The above mentioned WXForum.net is a good source of information. The Davis WeatherLink board sees far less traffic but has some useful bits.

If you plan on logging & uploading data from your weather station, you should also considering participating in CWOP - Citizen Weather Observer Program.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to shimonmor

Join the WX Quality Control list-serv, too.

»server.gladstonefamily.net/mailm···nfo/wxqc

Bear in mind that you get an email pretty much every day from this (in one digest), but there is a lot of discussion that is very valuable about a variety of issues.

You can, of course, unsubscribe any time...
--
»www.archive.org/details/Meatpies_1984