spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cisco Kid
@bhn.net

Cisco Kid

Anon

Ethernet split

I need to split an Ethernet line to connect to a PC and a DVD Player. I know I can purchase a powered Splitter but wonder if it is necessary. These powered splitter are always plugged in and using electricity.

I would only have one device powered on at a time. This being so, can I just use a non-powered plastic Ethernet splitter where it has one in and 2 outs.....

This connector will not decrease signal Strength?

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "non-powered plastic Ethernet splitter". If you are looking to connect 2 network enabled devices to one line, you need an ethernet switch or at the very least, a hub.

Something like this:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17111034

Ethernet is very much different than, say, a phone line.

Cisco Kid
@bhn.net

Cisco Kid

Anon

This is wat I was referring to:

»www.ebay.com/itm/LAN-Eth ··· -content

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8

You're asking for trouble using something like that. As mentioned by BK3 See Profile, Ethernet is quite a bit different from phone or cable tv. You need an inexpensive Ethernet switch. If you're concerned about electrical usage of such a device (it should be minuscule), just run a single Cat 5 or better Ethernet cable to the location were both devices will be and just manually plug in the device that will need connectivity at that time.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to Cisco Kid

Premium Member

to Cisco Kid
There's no such thing as an "ethernet splitter". You either need two cables, or a hub/switch. (btw, no one has made a true hub for over 10 years; they are *all* switches now.) There are many (spec violating) adapters to split a 4-pair RJ45 into two 2-pair RJ-45's, but you need one at each end of the cable; it does not magically turn a single ethernet port into two.

There are wall plates that have integrated 3-port switches (one in, two out), but they are rather expensive given the stuff on the shelf at walmart/best buy/etc. In fact, HP makes one with a wifi access point in it.

Go to your local electronics mega-mart and buy the cheapest ethernet "hub" they have on the shelf. It'll be under $50 (way under) and use about 5W.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Cisco Kid

MVM

to Cisco Kid
Get a green switch. It reduces power consumption by only powering the ports in use. Any non-powered solution will likely be a non-stop PITA.

»www.amazon.com/TRENDnet- ··· 9&sr=8-4

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to Cisco Kid

to Cisco Kid
cisco - you'd need 2 of those devices - 1 for the end where the dvd player and pc reside, and a 2nd one facing your switch. You'd need 2 ports on your switch (the one you are already using and an additional one). If you have an extra port on the switch it'll probably work, but you may have some extra collisions. For what it'd cost you to buy 2 of those you could likely buy a cheap switch to place on your ethernet cable facing the dvd player and pc as has been discussed by other users.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

1 recommendation

medbuyer

said by bdnhsv:

cisco - you'd need 2 of those devices - 1 for the end where the dvd player and pc reside, and a 2nd one facing your switch. You'd need 2 ports on your switch (the one you are already using and an additional one). If you have an extra port on the switch it'll probably work, but you may have some extra collisions. For what it'd cost you to buy 2 of those you could likely buy a cheap switch to place on your ethernet cable facing the dvd player and pc as has been discussed by other users.

this is not a very helpful advise...you're just giving him some more confusion.

it's plain and simple...ethernet splitters like the ebay link he posted isn't a good idea.

he's better off using a simple switch or just connect one appliance at a time if he doesn't want to spend $20 at least.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to Cisco Kid

Premium Member

to Cisco Kid
and with this 'splitter' you cant obtain 1 Gbps speeds, since it uses 2 pr for 1 run and 2 pr for the other run...

110% purchase a network switch and be done with it. that is the right way to go.

and people should stop recommending hubs, but that is just my opinion.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Cisco Kid

Premium Member

to Cisco Kid
The solution is in the For Sale forum, right on this site: »[FS] D-Link 5 port 10/100 Switch Those switches use VERY little power.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to medbuyer

to medbuyer
as - maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining my point or maybe you misinterpreted - either way it doesn't matter. I wasn't advocating the splitters - merely explaining how he'd need to implement them if he decides to go that way. Here's the last sentence of my post:

"For what it'd cost you to buy 2 of those you could likely buy a cheap switch to place on your ethernet cable facing the dvd player and pc as has been discussed by other users."
Green5
join:2010-03-15

1 edit

Green5

OK so its a switch; should I be looking fo one that handles 10/100/1000Mbps?

I do plan to connect a BluRay DVD Player to the switch; I will be streaming from Netflix and programming from the Major TV Brroardcsting sites like abc.com, etc.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

Green - what's the speed of the existing switch? If you connect a new switch to your existing one between that switch and other devices (know as cascading) then the devices on that new switch will share the bandwidth available from the port you connect to on the first switch. So - if the existing/first switch is 10/100 then I wouldn't buy anything more than another 10/100 switch (unless you have plans to upgrade that first switch as well).
Green5

Green5

I do not nay any switches in my Network at this time. I am wired from my Router to a PC and at this location want to connect a BluRay Player....so I would need a switch. I want to be able to stream Video from places like Netflix and the Major TV Broadcasting sites. So do I even need the faster 10/100/1000?

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

green - does your router have only 1 LAN port? If it has multiple ports then you could connect your blueray player to one of those. If it does just have one port, then you'll want to find out how fast that LAN port operates. If you'll provide brand/model information users in here will advise you.
bdnhsv

bdnhsv to Green5

to Green5
green - also how fast is your internet connection? Do you have any plans to upgrade it in the foreseeable future?
Green5

Green5

BHN provided Router Ubee DDW3611; No available Port.

Lightning Service 40Dn\5Up. Currently BHN offers nothing faster for Home Users
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by bdnhsv:

Green - what's the speed of the existing switch? If you connect a new switch to your existing one between that switch and other devices (know as cascading) then the devices on that new switch will share the bandwidth available from the port you connect to on the first switch. So - if the existing/first switch is 10/100 then I wouldn't buy anything more than another 10/100 switch (unless you have plans to upgrade that first switch as well).

said by bdnhsv:

green - does your router have only 1 LAN port? If it has multiple ports then you could connect your blueray player to one of those. If it does just have one port, then you'll want to find out how fast that LAN port operates. If you'll provide brand/model information users in here will advise you.

said by bdnhsv:

green - also how fast is your internet connection? Do you have any plans to upgrade it in the foreseeable future?

you will really come out more confused with how bdnhsv See Profile is trying to help you....clearly, that's not the proper way how to tackle a problem...
said by Green5:

BHN provided Router Ubee DDW3611; No available Port.

Lightning Service 40Dn\5Up. Currently BHN offers nothing faster for Home Users

anyway, the modem you are using is actually a "gateway" device, meaning it is a modem and router [wired and wireless] rolled into one. it should have 4 gigabit network / lan ports at the back.

when you said; No available port, meaning you used up all 4 ports at the back already?

if that's the case, I would recommend getting a gigabit switch. prices of which have come down a lot that it makes much more sense getting gigabit models rather than 10/100 units.

I would wire it up like this...

modem - port 1 - whatever you have in this port
port 2 - whatever you have in this port
port 3 - whatever you have in this port
port 4 - cat5e to switch [continue below]

switch - port 1 - cat5e from modem
port 2 - your pc
port 3 - dvd player
port 4 - for future use ...

some people have found issues and solutions to problems that they have encountered with that particular modem...»www.dougpace.com/2011/05 ··· ddw3611/

worst case scenario, your modem goes ape s**t on you, you can always put it to bridged mode and let a separate router [wired or wireless] handle the routing for you, rendering your Ubee modem acting just like a dumb modem. if that happens, come back here and tell us what you are encountering..

for now, try the simple add a switch solution and see if it works. if not, tell us what happened, maybe return the switch and replace it with something else.
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman to Cisco Kid

to Cisco Kid
Get one of these and be done with it. At the price of Ge switches today, don't even bother with 10/100 only unit.

TRENDnet TEG-S50G Gigabit GREENnet Switch 10/100/1000Mbps 5 x RJ45 104KBytes Buffer Memory

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33156250

Nate425
Premium Member
join:2005-02-03
Charlottesville, VA

Nate425 to Cisco Kid

Premium Member

to Cisco Kid
I've done something like this before. »www.instructables.com/id ··· tter%22/

It'll still take 2 ports on your router or however you're connecting them to the internet, but it lets two devices go over a single cat 5 cable. Not sure if it'd work in your case or how you're connecting them, but it works well as long as you have 2 open ports.

Cubbies
join:2009-12-11

Cubbies to Cisco Kid

to Cisco Kid
i believe your looking for something like this »www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 recommendation

medbuyer

said by Cubbies:

i believe your looking for something like this »www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2

for the price of that unit, I can get a good used network switch or even a new one.

I can't understand why people would get this when the switch works much better without flipping any knobs.

oh wait...I gotta use my pc.....click click....[turns on xbox], darn it, I forgot to flip the knob again...
switchman
join:1999-11-06

switchman to Cubbies

to Cubbies
I didn't know they even made mechanical RJ45 switches. I just threw a 5 port RS-232 (DB25) switch in the trash a few weeks ago. I used to use it to switch my modem between multiple PCs.
thecat
join:2012-07-10
Calgary, AB

thecat to Cisco Kid

to Cisco Kid
you can run two computers on one line 10/100Base-T uses only 2 pairs and you have 4 pairs !!! Or you can plug in a switch athe jack
cmslick3
join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

cmslick3

This is the device you are looking for:

»www.cablestogo.com/produ ··· t=37133#

it's called a splitter, but in fact it separates the cable into two Ethernet channels. Ethernet only needs two pair up to 100Mbps, so with this you will only get 100Mbps. IF you do use this you need one at each end, and you still need to chew up two ports on the router or switch.

OR find a friend with a crimper and make the necessary cable yourself.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Here are some additional splitters at lower prices:

»www.cyberguys.com/produc ··· tid=6407

»www.lanshack.com/QuickTr ··· C56.aspx

The splitter below converts a CAT5 cable to a 10/100 Base T cable and a telephone cable connected to an RJ-14 Jack.

»www.lanshack.com/QuickTr ··· C56.aspx

Remember to order two unless they are sold in pairs.
NgtFlyer
join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA

NgtFlyer to Cisco Kid

to Cisco Kid
OK, splitters flat out do NOT work in an Ethernet application. The clean and simple solution as many have said is a simple, inexpensive 5 port switch at the end where your PC and DVD player are. I have experience with both D-Link and TrendNet and both are good products - they just simply work and work well.

Mechanical switches in Ethernet? No. Absolutely not.

Also, splitting pairs for two data runs down one cable is a bad idea. Twists per inch vary depending on which pair you are looking at and I've solved lots of issues with packet loss and errors/jabbers in networks by removing such a cable and running a dedicated cat5e run to each drop.

Summary: Your situation requires a small switch. $30 or less. Connect the cable coming from your network to one port, connect your PC and DVD to two more ports, done.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

said by NgtFlyer:

OK, splitters flat out do NOT work in a Gigabit Ethernet application.

There Fix that for you. Otherwise the FastEthernet and Ethernet's have no problem splitting the 4 pair into 2 pair. We do them all the time, not by choice... They do work without a single issue