spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stu

join:2000-11-03
Patchogue, NY

[General] Is There an Alternative to data plan?

Years ago I got a Samsung-i760 from verizon without a data plan.

This phone runs win for phones 6.1, a lousy system, but with it I can look at email if I am in a wi-fi area that is open.

The reason that I got this phone is that it could keep appointments and a phone book in MS outlook and sync with my computer.

I know that I can get almost any android or apple phone and and do almost the same. The major difference being that I sync my phone book and appointments on the web for apple or google (and possibly the world) to see. In addition to the data plan cost.

For various reasons I am sort of limited to a VW phone.

Is there any phone or system that will allow me to keep my full phone book with addresses and comments as well as my appointments (PD), sync directly with my computer, make and take phone calls and check e mail with a wi-fi connection and no monthly plan just my basic expensive phone plan.

Or any major parts of the above.

Thanks
Stu

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

I'm 99.999% certain that Verizon doesn't offer any NEW phones that are phone & WiFi only. They did a few years ago though.... If you're willing to accept an older smartphone, if you buy one that was released before a certain date (I can find that in a bit), VZW does NOT require you to buy a data plan. As long as the phone has WiFi-capability, you'll be good to go.

stu

Patchogue, NY

Thanks, thats what I thought. I think I got one of the last semi smart phone without a plan that was offered.

What is that date and I guess that would determine the operating system available.

Stu

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I looked but couldn't find it (yet). I suspect it will be pre-Android and obviously pre-iPhone (on VZW), leaving you either Windows Mobile or Blackberry OS...

stu

Patchogue, NY

I already have a win 6.1 phone. It was 1 year old when I got it at least 3 years ago.

If that is the case I may as well stay where I am as long as the phone works and live with the clunky interface or give in and spend the money on a plan (30 x 24= $720.00 for 2 years) or pay up front the price of the phone. ($330.00 for a free, on the plan, android phone or a bit more plus the discounted price of the latest android phone)

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's any good alternatives.... And rest assured that is on purpose on VZW's part !