uniqs
share rss forum feed

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Troutdale, OR

Total eclipse.

Who has a good spot picked out for the eclipse today. My backyard should do nicely.
--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing" D.Vader Episode IV

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

My backyard should do, as well. It would be even more spectacular if today's event would have been a Total Solar Eclipse. Those are my favorite. Today's eclipse is known as an Annular Solar Eclipse. They're will still be a distinctive ring visible around the moon.
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to maximus_808

Backyard for me too.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to maximus_808

I used a pin-hole camera (a piece of paper with a hole in it) to project the sun on my house wall which worked great
I then tried to use my phone camera to take a picture of it but the camera wouldn't focus on the nice clear image on the wall
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Fat City
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia
reply to maximus_808

This is so cool! I'm watching the eclipse from my deck and I'm wearing cutting goggles with a welding lens attached in front. Looks like it's past maximum but I never saw a perfect bullseye. Guess we're too far south for that. Still, seeing the sun cut down to a crescent is spectacular.
--
All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut (1922 - 2007)

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to maximus_808

My landlord has a welding mask and that worked really great - we just passed it around to everyone.

All the birds stopped chirping and singing. The hummingbirds perched on tree branches instead of flitting around. Once the eclipsed started to wane, the hummers started flitting around and birds started singing again.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium
Troutdale, OR
reply to maximus_808

It was really cool here. Didn't notice the birds and such stopping but my dog was barking the whole time. He's not normally a barker.
--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing" D.Vader Episode IV

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to Fat City

Where's the pictures?

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium
Troutdale, OR

1 recommendation

reply to maximus_808

This is what it looked like on my kids playground.

Fat City
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

1 recommendation

reply to lilhurricane

Sorry, lil, no pictures. I figured the internet would have plenty. Talked to my sister in Oregon, and although she's in the optimal zone for a perfect 'ring of fire,' it was overcast and they couldn't see much. Thank goodness for the great weather we had here.

Did everyone else here see a 'pacman' beginning and end with a crescent sun at peak eclipse?

When's the next one?!
--
All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut (1922 - 2007)

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

3 recommendations

reply to maximus_808

Click for full size
Here was my best picture.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to maximus_808

Yeah, I missed it . I've been in Puerto Rico for the past 2 weeks, going on my third week here .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to bobrk

Suhweet, everyone's out bbq'g or playing in the backyard

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

reply to maximus_808

Click for full size
I'd love to say this is my own pic, but it's from the Murky News.

Wish I'd thought of it - I just used the pinhole trick reflected on a piece of white paper.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

2 recommendations

That looks a little too perfect to be real. While it may very well be based on a real photo, it appears to have been enhanced in post processing.

I like the picture by bobrk See Profile. A whole cluster of eclipse images in the shadow and a nice dinner as bonus. I know where I'd want to be when the next eclipse happens

Here is one of the pictures I took:

Pinhole Projection against wall

I first made several attempts to just take a picture of the eclipse image itself (to get it nice and large), but while I could see a sharp image on the wall the camera refused to focus on it. Only when I moved the camera further out to capture my own shadow and the card with the pinhole did the camera focus properly. However then the eclipse image became tiny and you have to zoom in to really see it.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to lilhurricane

My neighbors had margaritas and chips in the driveway and we stopped passersby and made them look!

Jammy
ja'Krinda
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to leibold

I can see it just fine leibold. Yeh I missed this one. I knew about it but was inside watching it on my TV.

Jammy

said by leibold:

However then the eclipse image became tiny and you have to zoom in to really see it.

--

lagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj