how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsmiddleton4

join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

[motherboard] Realtek HD Audio Line-in not recognized

Have built in Realtek HD audio. Had case with front jacks and rear jacks. Have removed front jacks and just using rears. Now rear line-in that used to work does not recognize any input.

I looked for jumpers, there are none to set for front/rear.

Front were just Mic and Head Phones, not line in.

If I plug in the Line in source to the rear Microphone jack it works, Realtek driver finds the input being plugged in, etc.

So I have signal on the line in cable.

Looked at the Windows 7 Sound settings and the Realtek Audio Control panel. Only settings that might be relevant are the advances settings for mic/line in front rear. They do nothing.

Any ideas? I have no room for a sound card. Double wide video card has taken up all the extra room.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
So far found some stuff on connector options but I don't have IO connector or the little folder folks refer to in my Realtek Audio Manager Software.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to jsmiddleton4
If I understand...

1) line-in on rear worked when you had front jacks attached to motherboard

2) line-in on rear worked when you removed the front jack header from the motherboard

3) line-in on rear no longer works

what did you change between 2) and 3)? New OS? or did you update the driver and it stopped working? or did you change nothing and it just stopped working on its own?

Whatever it is, maybe you might try going to the realtek website and grabbing the latest set of drivers?
--
My Site

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
Tried drivers from Realtek. No help.

Did not work when back together and front jacks gone. I also upgraded to an Nvidia 460 video card. Some information "out there" about the HDMI stuff and Realtek drivers not playing well together.

If I use the MIC input I get line level in for record. So I could use it but something isn't right. And that bugs me.

I don't really want to pull the video card and start playing. That's how I fry something else.

Worked.

Pulled front jack leads, jacks, etc.

Added Nvidia 460.

Line in does not work and is not found by the Realtek driver. MIC input is.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
The information about the video card is critical. It has its own sound chip that delivers audio via HDMI and by default supplants any onboard audio you might have.

Windows 7 has some ability to deal with this automatically but I think it may restrict itself to autosensing when the headphone jack is in use, switching from the 460's audio to the Realtek as needed.

However, if you do not want to use the HDMI audio, you might be able to set the Realtek devices as default under control panel|hardware and sound|manage audio devices. Under Hardware and sound, there should also be a control panel item called realtek HD audio manager. On the top right, click device advanced settings.

If nothing so far is of help, try going into device manager and disabling all nvidia high definition audio entries under sound, video and game controllers. you will lose sound over hdmi but that may not be a problem with your setup?

edit: should also add that jack configuration is not hardwired and there is nothing wrong with using the jack labeled as mic for line-in.
--
My Site

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
Will try later today. Thanks for the suggestions.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to pog4
Had an AMD HDMI card before. Seems to me something in the driver has turned off the Line-in and I don't know where that "On/Off" is in the registry. Even with plugging into the Mic in, the driver shows Front MIC jack. Its weird.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to pog4
Nothing gets the Line-in back. Even went back to my ATI HDMI video card. The new front jack module has not arrived yet.

I would imagine at this point a clean install of Win 7 would be next step. However for a line in when I can use the mic in I'm not going to spend the time to do clean install.

I looked at the registry and the Realtek entries are not intuitive. I'm guessing buried in the numbers and cryptic naming is a registry key that is keeping the line-in undetected.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to jsmiddleton4
Found this. Getting ready to try it.

In my registry I have no Pin with the code for Rear Line In.

»www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how- ··· s-ports/

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ

2 edits
reply to jsmiddleton4
Nothing brings the Line In back into the mix. It isn't detected by the driver no matter what I try. Contacted HP and they directed me to Realtek. Contacted Realtek and they directed me to HP........

Using MIC in for now. The registry tweaks don't make any difference.

Might be looking at a sound card to get the line in working along with a microphone in.

Edit: What I could do however is remap the MIC input. Its a known given it works. I remapped it using the information about tweaking the registry and turned it into a LINE IN jack. It shows as a line in jack.

And it didn't work either. Performed just like the default line in. Device unplugged.

There are registry entries all over the place for the Realtek audio chip. I'm thinking whatever the LINE IN is looking for, that MIC IN finds, that is what is missing in the registry and that is a driver problem.

Seems 64bit WIN 7, which is what I have, is giving Realtek a bit of a run for its money.

Edit: I tried to remap the line in to be a mic in and see if it worked. But I could not get it to remap.

In another thread about this same issue folks are having issues with trying to remap the line in as well.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to jsmiddleton4
I gave up. Realtek absolutely NO help.

Picked up nice Creative X-fi Audio PCI-e for 30 bucks on sale and it works great. Even added optical out so can now use my home theater receiver in my office, if I so choose, for movie playback and dolby/dts sound.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to jsmiddleton4
Seems like a hardware issue. But before that Check Bios settings