Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to DrStrange

Premium Member

to DrStrange

Re: CW ident while x-mitting?

Yes, it is 435..

I'm not bashing anyone who does or doesn't know code. Me personally, I *want* to learn code. Just can't find the time...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Thanks for the info.

I'll have a listen to that .435 machine one of these days and see what I hear.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Have you (or anyone else) ever listened to 435 before? If you haven't, be prepared to hear stuff you have never heard before on amateur frequencies. Language, jamming... a massive part 97 violation.

I listen because the fighting and other bull is funny... and a good example of what NOT to do on amateur radio!

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

I can pick up the repeater here in Ventura on my HT. I tune in once in a while. Funny to hear them fight with each other.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to neonhomer

MVM

to neonhomer
I listened to 435 on a daily basis back in the early 90's. At times it was hilariously funny, and at other times it was a cesspool of Amateur radio's worst.
It's been cleaned up, and gone through several owners, since then, and I haven't listened to it lately.
At one time, 435 had an Arbitron rating higher than several of L.A.'s bigger radio stations.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
Same here... I occasionally talk to the repeater owner and a couple of others through Facebook... (KE6RRI is the owner... I also talk to N6BHU on occasion.) RRI has cleaned it up a little, but it's still "good ole 435".

A bit OT - I like it how there are certain people on there who blatantly disregard Part 97 and the FCC, but when it plays into their advantage, the certain ones start hollering "I'm writing Laura Smith." or "The FCC is listening..."

Still funny though...
W6Taurus
join:2003-01-29
Griggsville, IL

W6Taurus

I'm a regular listener of 435 also. I also chat with Christina on fb from time to time. I used to get on the repeater with echolink back before it got took down. The history of that repeater is something else. I usually have it running here in the background most evenings. Love the cast of characters out there. Just glad I'm not the one that has to worry about the FCC and complaints.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

If you listened recently, IIRC, the operator I am referring to is Darrin Jones. I think he is the one I hear that from.

I was hoping if I listened to code practice mp3's in my sleep, I'lll wake up one day knowing code... LOL
W6Taurus
join:2003-01-29
Griggsville, IL

W6Taurus

I think what you are hearing is the remote radio IDing while he is transmitting. There was talk on the repeater quite awhile back that if you are using a remote to get into the repeater they want it to id. I don't think very many do this though .
That way they can tell if someone has hacked into the remote and using it to jam and other nonsense. I don't know code myself so i wish i could tell you what it is saying. I promised myself when i got my license i would learn code and one day i will. Just haven't found the time to concentrate on learning it!

sabersaw
Premium Member
join:2001-08-21
Dayton, OH

1 edit

sabersaw to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

If you listened recently, IIRC, the operator I am referring to is Darrin Jones. I think he is the one I hear that from.

I was hoping if I listened to code practice mp3's in my sleep, I'lll wake up one day knowing code... LOL

Wow that was exactly who I was thinking about when I read the first post. Yeah, I listen to that repeater all the time also. Those guys have tons of remotes everywhere... and only a few of them ID correctly. They like the Kenwood 731s and 741s.

I know my Yaesu 857D can send a cw tone id on FM Tx. Same with the 741a. Think my Kenwood HT can do it as well.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

My D710 can also do it.