share rss forum feed

lev
Smells better here without the monkey
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:2

[VOD] xbox VOD won't authenticate with Business Class internet

I recently installed Comcast Xfinity video service into my house, after almost a dozen years of DirecTV. For the past three years, I've also had Comcast Business Class internet service in my home. I also have a Tivo Premiere Elite, using a 4-stream cable-card.

Someday, the Tivo Premiere/Series 4 line is supposed to support video on-demand in the Chicago area. In the meantime, I wanted to use it via my xbox. Only after I set it up do I find that it requires residential internet service to work.

Seems a little silly to me; I'm not paying for additional internet service; besides, it was hard enough getting residential TV service installed when I already had business service established. Do you think this is just an oversight, or was this a decision made with forethought?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

Re: [VOD] xbox VOD won't authenticate with Business Class intern

It is probably intentional. Suppose you were running a bar or restaurant. You could be using On Demand to have public showings of movies and other pay events intended for private viewing.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to lev

business class video = no vod

having business class and resi class at the same house is not difficult...
--
I'm better than you!

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL

It was EXTREMELY difficult adding residential class video where I already had business class internet. I had to go to executive appeals and that took over a week. It didn't help that I have two business class internet accounts here because a client couldn't get it at their building, and I had a woman at executive appeals who was sure I was doing something that violated terms of service. I wasn't, but it took her boss, who'd dealt with me before when a friend's plasma television got dropped by a Comcast contractor who wasn't fixing it stepped in and resolved things.

Adding business class when you already have residential services IS easy.

I had thought of the bar/restaurant thing, but again, restricting video on demand for free channels seems kind of silly to me. I guess I'll wait until my Tivo can receive it.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to lev

the real reason they do that is because the content owners are scared to hell of a bar owner not paying $500 for a PPV.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

frigate

@comcast.net
reply to lev

its a public view vs private view thing

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to lev

said by lev:

Do you think this is just an oversight, or was this a decision made with forethought?

comcast RESIDENTIAL internet + RESIDENTIAL video service is required to use the xbox service. You don't have residential internet, it won't work.

This supports their claim that they are not routing video to anything other than the same infrastructure used for VOD already - it's a perk of the bundled internet/video residential service ONLY.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to lev

Is this Comcast VOD or VOD that requires Comcast resi TV? If so, it could be the issue I ran into a couple years ago when trying to watch the ESPN Olympics stream...

I have Business Internet and Resi TV. So my Comcast email account was associated with a business Internet account. I have to have a Comcast email account associated with the resi TV service in order to sign in and watch the live streams. After days of back and forth emails and phone calls with higher and higher techs, I finally ended up on the phone with an engineer who understood their systems well enough to explain that this was what was going on. And it was something they'd not anticipated or engineered their systems to accommodate. A day later the engineer called me with a new comcast.net email account that was associated with my resi TV service and that's what I use to sign in to sites that require a resi TV account to access live streams or VOD.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL

It's a Comcast residential e-mail address, business internet service, residential TV service.

This isn't the same as using a computer for streaming. Since an xbox is a set-top box and not a single-user device, they're treating it differently.

I understand, in a way, but I do still find it silly. Eventually, I'll be able to access video on-demand from my Tivo when they expand the test area beyond the Bay Area of California.

The limitation should be whether or not the place is a public or a private venue, not whether it's their home or business service. Comcast is using the billing to define service instead of the venue, which is lazy.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by lev:

The limitation should be whether or not the place is a public or a private venue, not whether it's their home or business service. Comcast is using the billing to define service instead of the venue, which is lazy.

You have business class internet, this is a residential internet + residential video bundle "feature".

It has nothing to do with being lazy. It's exactly as it is designed to be.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

the real reason they do that is because the content owners are scared to hell of a bar owner not paying $500 for a PPV.

Its more or less paying $60.00 for a boxing event, then charging people $10.00 a head to come in and view it.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by lev:

You have business class internet, this is a residential internet + residential video bundle "feature".

I think we should agree to disagree. They have a SOHO product. HOME office means residential.
Expand your moderator at work

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to lev

Re: [VOD] xbox VOD won't authenticate with Business Class intern

said by lev:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by lev:

I think we should agree to disagree. They have a SOHO product. HOME office means residential.

SOHO is a business class home void of residential perks. Residential class homes have no business affiliation. Word games are fun, but will end the same: business != residential: type of building is of no concern.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL

said by markofmayhem:

SOHO is a business class home void of residential perks. Residential class homes have no business affiliation. Word games are fun, but will end the same: business != residential: type of building is of no concern.

Again, not that big of a deal to me in the end since I'll be getting the service eventually, but I still beg to differ. When a small business customer is run out of a non-public residential location, it's also a residence. I'm unfollowing the thread in a day or so, so I'm sure someone other than me will get the last word.

Not quite

@sbcglobal.net
reply to markofmayhem

said by markofmayhem:

business != residential: type of building is of no concern.

Untrue. If Comcast sees your address as commercial in the USPS database (even though there may be residential units in the same multi-use building) you will be forced into a business account. Been there, done that, cancelled due to the rotten baloney they kept selling.