uniqs

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

[Beginner] [Macbook pro] School user

I've made the jump and purchased an Apple MacBook Pro, the computer is to last all high school for one of the rugrats.

What do I need to look at for her needs. I had an Apple IIc as a lad but have really no idea on today's environment. I've sourced Office and it will be running OS X Lion and doubt it is running Windows?

I understand there is the FAQ's here and will be looking them over shortly, it all came on so quick this decision, I haven't prepared myself - it was purchased for school needs, not mine.

RogueMonk
Premium Member
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON

RogueMonk

Premium Member

I'd be sure to get AppleCare on it--especially if its gong to be used in a high school setting.

Also, get a good case for it.

As for software, you'd probably be best to get MS Office for Mac--its pretty much the standard.

Beyond that, you are probably good to go.

David Digi
@bms.com

David Digi to norwegian

Anon

to norwegian
Hi, My daughter now graduated from college has had a I Book and Mac Book Pro during her school days.
Re; office I would go with the Mac office Student teacher edition.
Some large companies also have a plan to purchase office for a very low price ( around $20 for the suite. )
I would also suggest a Laser printer for her reports needs, Fortunately Laser printers are not that costly and they are cheaper to run then Ink Jet printers , always changing out the black Cartridge.
Regards
David

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Applecare was purchased as well.
I have Office for Mac, I'm assuming it is the MS version and will know in a day or 2 when it arrives.

This was a standard buy; do Apple's ship with Windows now or do you have to purchase as an extra? Not that I would think it made any difference, just curious.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Macs NEVER ship with Windows, you have to put that on yourself.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Macs NEVER ship with Windows, you have to put that on yourself.

Correct, but they do ship with bootcamp which will allow you to run windows in a separate partition. If you want to run windows without having to restart the machine you will want to get some virtualization software such as parallels or vmware.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

That's good to know - I have a copy of Win 7 home, however do you need a specific MAC version?

On another note, the Time Machine on a back up external drive, there is mention of splitting the drive into 2 partitions;
1. Time Capsule
2. Data back up
I have a 2 TB external and according to this forum discussion it can be done, however a google suggested 2 different external drives for data and backup is better. Can I have someone's point of view - is it good or bad?

Thanks

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by norwegian:

That's good to know - I have a copy of Win 7 home, however do you need a specific MAC version?

No. There's no such thing. Any regular desktop/laptop version of Windows 7 (non-OEM) will install on a Mac.

For just basic paper writing/studying/etc, I doubt you'd need Windows. I have to use it every so often for Engineering software, but the Mac version of Office is "good enough" that I've never had to use Windows for regular school work.
said by norwegian:

On another note, the Time Machine on a back up external drive, there is mention of splitting the drive into 2 partitions;
1. Time Capsule
2. Data back up
I have a 2 TB external and according to this forum discussion it can be done, however a google suggested 2 different external drives for data and backup is better. Can I have someone's point of view - is it good or bad?

Thanks

Which drive are you talking about? A Time Capsule is an Apple Wireless router with a built in hard drive. You do not need this to use Time Machine. Did you also purchase a Time Capsule?

If so and you want to use the Time Capsule's storage space for extra documents/movies/etc, then yes, you should partition it into two separate volumes - one for Time Machine backups, another for regular data storage. Time Machine will fill whichever drive you assign it to, so if you don't partition, you'll eventually run out of free space to store files on the external HD.

If you don't want to use the Time Capsule, any old USB or Firewire HD can also be used as a Time Machine backup disk (same recommendation for partitioning from above also applies here). There's no sense, imo, to having one partition for Time Machine and another for manual data backup. Just let Time Machine handle backups on its own.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

No. There's no such thing. Any regular desktop/laptop version of Windows 7 (non-OEM) will install on a Mac.

For just basic paper writing/studying/etc, I doubt you'd need Windows. I have to use it every so often for Engineering software, but the Mac version of Office is "good enough" that I've never had to use Windows for regular school work.

I'm not sure if I will look at Windows 7 for the school side of things, more to allow Windows software to run and other things. It is more from my view than my daughter's needs. It might be fun to play with as it has a 500GB HDD internally.
said by Thinkdiff:

Which drive are you talking about? A Time Capsule is an Apple Wireless router with a built in hard drive. You do not need this to use Time Machine. Did you also purchase a Time Capsule?

If so and you want to use the Time Capsule's storage space for extra documents/movies/etc, then yes, you should partition it into two separate volumes - one for Time Machine backups, another for regular data storage. Time Machine will fill whichever drive you assign it to, so if you don't partition, you'll eventually run out of free space to store files on the external HD.

If you don't want to use the Time Capsule, any old USB or Firewire HD can also be used as a Time Machine backup disk (same recommendation for partitioning from above also applies here). There's no sense, imo, to having one partition for Time Machine and another for manual data backup. Just let Time Machine handle backups on its own.

I have a WD 2TB My Book for Mac, with Smart backup and storage. It uses Time Machine, I was thinking the HDD was the Capsule, as it is USB it isn't wireless. I was wondering if photos, music and other data might be worth saving to the back up drive. From my understanding of your comments, I'm better just letting the whole 2 TB stay as pure backup for the system? I was thinking I could look at smaller backup packages of only the system files and the weekly homework and the other partition was for the DATA type backup. Is this software backup worth just leaving alone to do it's work?

RogueMonk
Premium Member
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON

RogueMonk

Premium Member

As for backup - a Time Machine backup to your external drive is all you really need...unless you are paranoid that both your main drive and backup drive will die at the same time.

One thing I do is use Dropbox to keep all my mail files (documents, etc) synced in the cloud for access from multiple devices. That is a sort of redundancy as well.

As for windows via bootcamp -- I wouldn't unless you actually need a windows only program...in which case I would run windows in a Virtual Machine (Fusion or Parallels).

My main advise is to just enjoy the machine. Don't over-think it too much. You have a good warranty, you have your backup set...now get a good case for protection and enjoy the machine. You will learn what you need and don't over time.
kitsune
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to norwegian

to norwegian
Time machine doesn't create a full backup of your machine every time. After the initial backup it only backs up what has been changed since the last one, then periodically it will create another full backup. It will also consolidate backups once it begins to fill up the drive. For a machine with a 500GB HD a 2TB backup drive should last a long time unless you are regularly working on large files.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Okay, I will just let it run and touch nothing. Hardware and O/S configured, well almost.

Now it is just software for her needs:
For school needs, Office coming and the O/S - OS X Lion (which seems an amazing package) looks like it covers most; does anyone else use out-sourced software more specific to school needs from a third party?
For personal use, a decent media player like VLC for movies, music covered by iTunes, what other bases need covering? Photos etc I would think the O/S would have enough? Do you need external graphics programs? Anything else possibly?

A quick tweak of a few settings and I will let her get on with it. Is there a link to tweaks or something of that nature, both 'enhancing' and 'security' type info?

Thank you for the assistance in sorting this rush; an opportunity made it possible to happen for her and thought I better attempt to keep up, even though I know I will be left behind.

Warm Regards
norwegian

norwegian

Premium Member

Apps store:

Can someone explain why to download a free app update - iPhoto, I need to create an apps account with a credit card?

I tried the download via major geeks and it will not install, telling me to visit the apps store to update.

Is there a way to sort O/S updates without a credit card? At least I am assuming the 2 updates, iPhoto and GarageBand are free updates?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

It's Apple's way of hooking you into the ecosystem.

You don't need a credit card.
»support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for the link, I've tried a few ways and still seem to be having troubles, even though I opened an account for the purchase of this laptop.

If nothing happens by midweek I've talk to support to find out why my account is not working with the apps store without submitting a credit card. It seems my acct is locked, but it isn't and all I get is is it locked, and a reset password page (same link as an 'unlock your account') or the submit a credit card and the terms and cond link for a new user.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I think the whole thing is pretty slimy to make it that it works easiest with a CC# in there.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

It certainly surprised me.

There is more personal info required in logging in than I prefer, but to ship hardware you need personal details I understand, but for simple software downloads, what has a personal address got to do with it. A credit card is all they need, and only when you buy.......but for just browsing the download vault, they need your home address and a credit card?

There is more info required at Apple than there is for my ISP needs, for servicing me.
kitsune
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by norwegian:

It certainly surprised me.

There is more personal info required in logging in than I prefer, but to ship hardware you need personal details I understand, but for simple software downloads, what has a personal address got to do with it. A credit card is all they need, and only when you buy.......but for just browsing the download vault, they need your home address and a credit card?

There is more info required at Apple than there is for my ISP needs, for servicing me.

In order to process the credit card they have to your address. But the problem is that your account is already created just missing the billing information. The only way the article Mike posted is when you choose to create a new apple id. You have two choices. Either create a new apple id for her and follow the article or you can enter your credit card information and then go back in and change it to none.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by kitsune:

In order to process the credit card they have to your address. But the problem is that your account is already created just missing the billing information. The only way the article Mike posted is when you choose to create a new apple id. You have two choices. Either create a new apple id for her and follow the article or you can enter your credit card information and then go back in and change it to none.

That would explain why. I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

We have an account for her for an ipod that was set up by mum. Turns out the iphoto and the other update you have to pay for, it can wait for now. At least I understand a little more now.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If your Mac came with iLife (it did), the updates for iPhoto and iMovie are free. It should prompt you to register the software with an AppleID when you go into the Mac App store.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I will check shortly.

When we managed to get there, it had a "buy" button so we backed off.

In hindsight, it could process the shopping list after the button, as a free download. I have seen it before, but not for a long time, it is misleading advertising at it's best and detrimental to your own existence. Man, bit off topic, sorry.
drhoward_t
join:2012-05-08
Saint Louis, MO

drhoward_t to norwegian

to norwegian
Whatever you ran with Windows there's an equivalent on a Mac so I don't know why you would want to install Windows. fwiw, both my sons just graduated from college and everyone at both schools used Macs for everything.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

If your Mac came with iLife (it did), the updates for iPhoto and iMovie are free. It should prompt you to register the software with an AppleID when you go into the Mac App store.

I haven't managed to get to the finished download to see, but once past the "buy" button it did work. Talk about the opposite to it's own foundation - a computer company with user friendly GUI but ridiculous format for the software it supports. I will just keep pressing "buy" on all downloads, heck there may be a server glitch pass on a misconfiguration and it gives me a free paid version of something due to a javascript malfunction in the page function. Hehe. If it is free, don't ask me to hit a "buy" button.

Understand the frame of thought in a post or 2 in discussions.
norwegian

1 edit

norwegian to drhoward_t

Premium Member

to drhoward_t
More for me to play with, I'd like to see how the speed and functionality is, call it curiosity.

If there was ever a time it may be needed at school; and comments seem to be of the same view as you, and it won't happen, I'd still like to know if it would work before hand, still curiosity on my behalf.

As we have an initial back up saved via Time Machine, I can always revert back. However I'd most certainly test a back up or 2 of the MAC software before I ever went as far as loading Windows up. I'd just heard Windows was allowed on a MAC platform and was curious. But then I remember the change to the IBM platform compatibility; I think it was years back now.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to drhoward_t

Premium Member

to drhoward_t
said by drhoward_t:

Whatever you ran with Windows there's an equivalent on a Mac so I don't know why you would want to install Windows. fwiw, both my sons just graduated from college and everyone at both schools used Macs for everything.

There are a few exceptions to the "equivalency" thing and some other practical reasons that many of us have Windows available in a VM. Quicken is my primary one...the Mac version is, um...major substandard...and I'm not about to give up more than a decade's worth of financial data just because I switched to Apple for my computing platform. I also don't want to re-buy Office since I don't use it very often, so having Windows available to run our family Office license when I actually need to is nice. I am the only Mac users in this household. So far...

That said, I suspect that many people, including "school users" don't really need Windows available unless they are bucking the tide at their particular school where Windows might be the standard and certain applications might be required to be used.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by buckingham:

I also don't want to re-buy Office since I don't use it very often

All the more the reason not to buy it at all. My two businesses use Google Docs and Libre Office for everything without issue.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Without getting off topic too much, Open Office is a good enough platform too. It just doesn't have live updates as the big M-soft does.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

said by buckingham:

I also don't want to re-buy Office since I don't use it very often

All the more the reason not to buy it at all. My two businesses use Google Docs and Libre Office for everything without issue.

Unfortunately, I have had many incompatibility issues with "alternate" applications when working with documents created in "real" MS Office components and I've tried most of them. Since we already own Office...it's not a new buy...using it makes the most sense. This is important to me as there are also many times when I choose to do "work-work" on my Mac since it's about 18,000 times faster than my 3 year old Windows XP work notebook...

I also have a few very expensive Adobe applications that I've not yet re-bought in Mac format since I don't use them often. Admittedly, some of this is "transitional" since I've only been on the Mac platform for about a year and a half. Over time, my "need" to still leverage Windows may very well be eliminated. in the mean time, Parallels with Win7 takes care of what I want it to do.

Again, for most school users, these things are not likely a factor. I was only pointing out that for some of us, we do have personal reasons for having both OS available on our Macs.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks all.

It seems to be just purring alone. I have backed up a few times, but to date have not tried the restore function to see if it is as smooth, but everything is just working well.

It did surprise me the firewall was turned off by default, and once turned on and hooked via wireless to the router via a hidden ssid; it seems to be doing just fine for broadcast.

I still seem to be of 2 minds on the app store, but the relative price for software I must say seems quite cheap for some.

Next step.