Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Re: [Beginner] [Macbook pro] School user

I will check shortly.

When we managed to get there, it had a "buy" button so we backed off.

In hindsight, it could process the shopping list after the button, as a free download. I have seen it before, but not for a long time, it is misleading advertising at it's best and detrimental to your own existence. Man, bit off topic, sorry.
drhoward_t
join:2012-05-08
Saint Louis, MO

drhoward_t to norwegian

to norwegian
Whatever you ran with Windows there's an equivalent on a Mac so I don't know why you would want to install Windows. fwiw, both my sons just graduated from college and everyone at both schools used Macs for everything.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

If your Mac came with iLife (it did), the updates for iPhoto and iMovie are free. It should prompt you to register the software with an AppleID when you go into the Mac App store.

I haven't managed to get to the finished download to see, but once past the "buy" button it did work. Talk about the opposite to it's own foundation - a computer company with user friendly GUI but ridiculous format for the software it supports. I will just keep pressing "buy" on all downloads, heck there may be a server glitch pass on a misconfiguration and it gives me a free paid version of something due to a javascript malfunction in the page function. Hehe. If it is free, don't ask me to hit a "buy" button.

Understand the frame of thought in a post or 2 in discussions.
norwegian

1 edit

norwegian to drhoward_t

Premium Member

to drhoward_t
More for me to play with, I'd like to see how the speed and functionality is, call it curiosity.

If there was ever a time it may be needed at school; and comments seem to be of the same view as you, and it won't happen, I'd still like to know if it would work before hand, still curiosity on my behalf.

As we have an initial back up saved via Time Machine, I can always revert back. However I'd most certainly test a back up or 2 of the MAC software before I ever went as far as loading Windows up. I'd just heard Windows was allowed on a MAC platform and was curious. But then I remember the change to the IBM platform compatibility; I think it was years back now.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to drhoward_t

Premium Member

to drhoward_t
said by drhoward_t:

Whatever you ran with Windows there's an equivalent on a Mac so I don't know why you would want to install Windows. fwiw, both my sons just graduated from college and everyone at both schools used Macs for everything.

There are a few exceptions to the "equivalency" thing and some other practical reasons that many of us have Windows available in a VM. Quicken is my primary one...the Mac version is, um...major substandard...and I'm not about to give up more than a decade's worth of financial data just because I switched to Apple for my computing platform. I also don't want to re-buy Office since I don't use it very often, so having Windows available to run our family Office license when I actually need to is nice. I am the only Mac users in this household. So far...

That said, I suspect that many people, including "school users" don't really need Windows available unless they are bucking the tide at their particular school where Windows might be the standard and certain applications might be required to be used.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by buckingham:

I also don't want to re-buy Office since I don't use it very often

All the more the reason not to buy it at all. My two businesses use Google Docs and Libre Office for everything without issue.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Without getting off topic too much, Open Office is a good enough platform too. It just doesn't have live updates as the big M-soft does.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

said by buckingham:

I also don't want to re-buy Office since I don't use it very often

All the more the reason not to buy it at all. My two businesses use Google Docs and Libre Office for everything without issue.

Unfortunately, I have had many incompatibility issues with "alternate" applications when working with documents created in "real" MS Office components and I've tried most of them. Since we already own Office...it's not a new buy...using it makes the most sense. This is important to me as there are also many times when I choose to do "work-work" on my Mac since it's about 18,000 times faster than my 3 year old Windows XP work notebook...

I also have a few very expensive Adobe applications that I've not yet re-bought in Mac format since I don't use them often. Admittedly, some of this is "transitional" since I've only been on the Mac platform for about a year and a half. Over time, my "need" to still leverage Windows may very well be eliminated. in the mean time, Parallels with Win7 takes care of what I want it to do.

Again, for most school users, these things are not likely a factor. I was only pointing out that for some of us, we do have personal reasons for having both OS available on our Macs.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks all.

It seems to be just purring alone. I have backed up a few times, but to date have not tried the restore function to see if it is as smooth, but everything is just working well.

It did surprise me the firewall was turned off by default, and once turned on and hooked via wireless to the router via a hidden ssid; it seems to be doing just fine for broadcast.

I still seem to be of 2 minds on the app store, but the relative price for software I must say seems quite cheap for some.

Next step.