join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to majortom1029

to majortom1029

Re: [OOL] CableWiFi

said by majortom1029:

This can be very usefull since att and verizon are doing away with unlimited data.

the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if CableWiFi soon became limited as well :/

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

I got a CV sales call the other day and when he was hanging up he mentioned that they have a partnership with Comcast and some others so I can use their wifi in other areas of the COUNTRY (My lie was that I travel for work so i didn't need Home Phone or TV service - reality I just watch whatever I use netflix and other online mediums instead but I do have basic cable but with my ClearQAM TV).

So maybe this CableWiFi will be the combined one for all of them instead of specifying 3-5 different SSIDs.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to MxxCon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

This can be very usefull since att and verizon are doing away with unlimited data.

the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if CableWiFi soon became limited as well :/

If cablevision hasnt setup data limits now and wifi has been cap free for the past 2 years why would the start now?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by majortom1029:

said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

If cablevision hasnt setup data limits now and wifi has been cap free for the past 2 years why would the start now?

cellphones used to have unlimited data too...
Why would they start now? To get more money.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by MxxCon:

Cablevision had caps and got rid of them. Why bring them back again?
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to MxxCon

MVM

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

I suspect they can differentiate themselves from the cell phones companies by being a real broadband network and if they have caps, have very high caps.

The advantage wi-fi would have compared to cell phones is the infrastructure is designed for high bandwidth because it is the cable infrastructure. The disadvantage is that coverage is not as complete as with a cellphone. So I suspect they will use the ability to allow higher total bandwidth(versus mbps) as a "selling point".
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by TheWiseGuy:

said by MxxCon:

I suspect they can differentiate themselves from the cell phones companies by being a real broadband network and if they have caps, have very high caps.

The advantage wi-fi would have compared to cell phones is the infrastructure is designed for high bandwidth because it is the cable infrastructure. The disadvantage is that coverage is not as complete as with a cellphone. So I suspect they will use the ability to allow higher total bandwidth(versus mbps) as a "selling point".

I think money wise it would be a wash. Cablevision would use its own hfc as the backbone where as the cell towers need backbone run to them So cablevision would spend the money on putting out more access points.

Once that new standard thhat allows a device to roam from AP to AP without reauthorizing gets completely finished cablevisions wifi can act just like a cell network.