Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

[CATV] charge for cable card self nstall

I found this at times it can be a challenge obtaining a CableCARD. This is absolutely something we have been aware of, and we are very pleased that as of August 1, 2011, all cable providers are mandated by the FCC to allow subscribers the option of a hassle-free, no charge self-install of the cable card. Our customer support team does have contacts with all of the major cable companies in the U.S., and we do our best to work with each company to make sure that they are aware of the law and are doing their best to solve any problems that our customers report. Out of curiosity, have you or someone you know had similar experiences since the FCC announced this mandate in October 2010?

how can Cox charge for cable cards self installs?

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

its the same as doing a self install with a cable box the first time which you can be carged for the self install fee for the new service,but one the service is active and you want to add another set of card there is no charge

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

so if I'm exchanging two boxes for cards there should be no self install fee? I was quoted $9.95 per card just to pick up the cards from Cox.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to m8trix

said by m8trix:

its the same as doing a self install with a cable box the first time which you can be carged for the self install fee for the new service,but one the service is active and you want to add another set of card there is no charge

That fee is for the truck roll to remove the filters.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

so if I'm exchanging two boxes for cards there should be no self install fee? I was quoted $9.95 per card just to pick up the cards from Cox.

Print out the FCC page to take with you.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

dvd do you have a link to the fcc page that talks about free cable card self installs?

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

You know what they should do is just take the cable cards out of the boxes and then just hand them to you at the store.

That would minimize any activation, accounting issues that's been detailed in other threads, discussion forums.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by Guzzler:

said by ajwees41:

You know what they should do is just take the cable cards out of the boxes and then just hand them to you at the store.

That would minimize any activation, accounting issues that's been detailed in other threads, discussion forums.

the cable cards are tied to the equipment they are in, so that wouldn't work.

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1

said by ajwees41:

the cable cards are tied to the equipment they are in, so that wouldn't work.

Oh... that sucks. I didn't know that, my bad.