Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to Streetlight

Re: [Caps] Neil Smit, Comcast CEO says ...

If you google [pete sessions trillion] you find a senator debating the healthcare law. He states it will cost $500 trillion which is about $1.5 million for every man, woman and child in the US. I'm thinking he meant billion. I am pretty nit picky about these things, and notice when the TV talking heads mis-speak.
I trust this guy know a bit from a byte, and simply mis-spoke.

Expand your moderator at work

zGunBLADEz

join:2012-05-24
Chicago, IL
reply to Streetlight

Like in our case numbers dont mean the same..

1 billion = 1 thousand million
1 trillion = 1 billion

»www.enchantedlearning.com/langua···0s.shtml

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

Understood.
A US senator would know that in the US a Trillion has 12 zeros most days.

Although with tech overtaking the world. I proposed the 9 zeros is called a Gigabuck, and 12 zeros Terabuck, as in "Our National Debt is now over 15 Terabucks."

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

cause thats something a CEO needs to know.....

If he's the head of a company like Comcast he better darn well know, especially considering his pay.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3

1 edit

said by RR Conductor:

said by gar187er:

If he's the head of a company like Comcast he better darn well know, especially considering his pay.

Exactly.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

said by C_Chipperson:

Exactly... why is this concept so hard for gar187er See Profile to grasp..

Someone misspeaks on a television interview, and we get an entire 2 page thread here about it.

That aside, let's just pretend the CEO doesn't have a clue about the difference between a gigabyte and a gigabit. Do you really think that is a performance criteria that the board looks at to determine the CEO's performance? If the CEO of Comcast has to get to that level of detail personally, I'm going back to DSL.
Expand your moderator at work

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
reply to C_Chipperson

said by C_Chipperson:

said by gar187er:

I disagree. Do you think the CEO of BP or Chevron shouldn't be bothered to know the difference between a barrel and a gallon?

This is a core aspect of his company's product. It is something he needs to know.

Agree!!! Of course the CEO isn't going to understand how every aspect of their network works, but because of the data caps and how much they are affecting his customers, this is important for him to know.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by Clever_Proxy:

Agree!!! Of course the CEO isn't going to understand how every aspect of their network works, but because of the data caps and how much they are affecting his customers, this is important for him to know.

Do you think he doesn't know the difference or that (like the Honorable Senator from the great State of Texas) simply misspoke?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to Streetlight

Y-A-W-N...c'mon now, really? CEOs are seldom tech-folk, they are generally business-oriented (with a few exceptions).

I would comfortably surmise that Mr. Smit made a minor mis-speak. No big woof, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
--
Deeds, not words