uniqs
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to bonke

to bonke

Re: [OOL] Is a Tech visit required for Optimum Online Boost Plus

said by bonke:

I currently have the Triple play and am thinking of adding "Optimum Online Boost Plus" for the $14.99 extra per month. Does anyone know if a home tech visit is required or do they just mail the D3 modem to you? Currently I have the 15/2 plan.

You didn't mention whether you're currently an OV customer. If you added OV, and didn't have it before, professional install is required - mainly to make sure you don't plug the RJ11 into your
house-wiring on your own, which may still be connected to Verizon's plant, even if it has no active dialtone : 99% of customers cannot be trusted to properly disco VZ from home wiring at the DEMARC themselves.

Otherwise, what Rojo said.
bonke
join:2009-08-23
Trenton, NJ

bonke

Yes. I do currently have OV and the Verizon wires have been disconnected. Thank you for the info. I was just wondering if a Tech was required to do any set ups with the new D3 modem as far as the voice is concerned. If its just a matter of plugging it in and letting it "find itself", that would be great.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to cablewizzard

Anon

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

If you added OV, and didn't have it before, professional install is required - mainly to make sure you don't plug the RJ11 into your house-wiring on your own,

So even if I say I'm just going to plug a cordless phone directly into the modem, I still have to pay $39.95 for installation and $40.00 to port a number? $80 to have a tech do nothing is pretty steep.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

There are often discounts and deals available for signing up for new services. Nothing is required. If you don't like the price-point offered by CV for OV, just don't order it.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to cablewizzard

Anon

to cablewizzard
P.S. I asked this earlier and never got an answer: Is OV compatible with Contact ID alarm systems, or does the reporting format have to be changed?

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

said by cablewizzard:

If you added OV, and didn't have it before, professional install is required - mainly to make sure you don't plug the RJ11 into your house-wiring on your own,

So even if I say I'm just going to plug a cordless phone directly into the modem, I still have to pay $39.95 for installation and $40.00 to port a number? $80 to have a tech do nothing is pretty steep.

Cablevision says self install is available for OV.
»www.optimum.net/Terms/OV
said by ov terms of service :
Optimum Voice offers both professional and self installation:

There are two options for professional installation of the service:

Basic installation: Cablevision will connect one (1) telephone to an available phone port activated on the applicable Optimum Voice cable modem. Cablevision is not responsible for connecting other phones in the home to the Optimum voice cable modem.
Home wiring solution: Optimum Voice provides a home wiring solution that enables Subscribers to use Optimum Voice on existing home phone jacks. Cablevision reserves the right to determine the manner in which the home wiring solution is executed in the Subscriber's home. In certain cases, Cablevision may be required to alter or adapt the Subscriber's inside wiring so that Optimum Voice is available on the existing phones. Subscriber's that wish use Optimum Voice as the connection between their home security system and central station monitoring, must request the Enhanced Wiring solution:
Optimum Voice does not offer a wire maintenance plan. The Subscriber is solely responsible for maintaining all inside wire and phones within the home. Optimum Voice will troubleshoot and fix reported problems for a specified service charge. The service charge is based on the then current rate in effect.
In certain buildings such as multiple dwelling units, Optimum Voice may not have access to the Subscriber's inside wiring located within the apartment unit. In these instances, Cablevision has the right to determine how best to wire the Subscriber's home, either by installing a predetermined number of new jacks in the Subscriber's home or by performing a Basic Optimum Voice installation described above.

With self installation, a self-install kit is shipped directly to a Subscriber's home or can be picked up at a CVC Optimum Store. With this kit, the Subscriber will be able to connect one (1) telephone to the Optimum Voice cable modem.

jaa

jaa to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

P.S. I asked this earlier and never got an answer: Is OV compatible with Contact ID alarm systems, or does the reporting format have to be changed?

They may no guarantee of support for alarm systems.
said by ov terms of service :
Home security systems: If Subscriber has a centrally monitored home security system, and selects our Enhanced Wiring option, Optimum Voice will be wired so that it may be available for use with such system. Although Optimum Voice will supply a connection that will allow the operation of Subscriber's existing home security system, Optimum Voice does not guarantee that any such system will be in complete operational order following the installation of Optimum Voice. As such, it is Subscriber's obligation to contact their home security system provider to inform them of Optimum Voice installation and any change in phone number and to request a complete operational test of such system immediately following installation of Optimum Voice service. In addition, it is Subscriber's responsibility to test their system on a regular basis. In the even of power outage or network outage (whether unplanned or maintenance related), your Optimum Voice service, including any home security system, which uses Optimum Voice to connect to central station monitoring, will not function. As set forth in Section 3(B) above, if Subscriber so chooses, Subscriber may separately purchase a battery backup for use with their voice-enabled cable modem in the instance of a non-network related outage at www.optimum.com.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to jaa

Anon

to jaa
quote:
Subscriber's [sic] that wish use Optimum Voice as the connection between their home security system and central station monitoring, must request the Enhanced Wiring solution:

So I could tell them I'm only going to connect one phone, then wire the modem into my house wiring myself, despite their policy.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa

Premium Member

Sure - and you could rob a bank, despite the bank's policy against it.
Expand your moderator at work
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to jaa

MVM

to jaa

Re: [OOL] Is a Tech visit required for Optimum Online Boost Plus

Sorry jaa See Profile I think you are reading the TOS incorrectly. It says you can select either a Basic install or Home Wiring. If you select Home Wiring and you have a security System you must request Enhanced Wiring.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa

Premium Member

I understand the options (from the TOS) are:
1. Professional install - Basic
2. Professional install - Home wiring
3. Professional install - Home wiring with Enhanced wiring (security system)
4. Self installation (pickup at store or shipped)

Once installed, there is nothing to physically stop the subscriber from changing how it is connected. Just policy and integrity.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Sorry but the TOS Says

There are two options for professional installation of the service:

First option

Basic installation: Cablevision will connect one (1) telephone to an available phone port activated on the applicable Optimum Voice cable modem. Cablevision is not responsible for connecting other phones in the home to the Optimum voice cable modem.

Cablevision is not responsible for connecting to your system, you are. It does not matter if there is a security system, you can wire the system any way you want.

Second option

Home wiring solution:

If you choose the Home wiring solution then you must choose enhanced if you have a security system since CV is responsible for wiring your system.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa

Premium Member

We are saying the same thing, aren't we?
#1: basic installation.
#2: home wiring
#3: home wiring with enhanced (security system)

That is the same, right?

#4: self install.

What is different?
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 edit

TheWiseGuy

MVM

You claim that you violate the TOS if you wire it into the home security system yourself, even if you want a basic install. CV does not in the TOS say anything about requiring an enhanced install except if you want them to wire it using the Home Wiring.

They do this, I suspect, because they need to send someone experienced with Alarm systems since if they wired it wrong there could be liability if a problem occurred due to their wiring. Once you change the wiring you relieve them of the liability, so I doubt they care. Also I believe that there are laws allowing you to connect what you want to the system once it is set up, ( Edit add: as long as you do not add something which would result in theft of service and are simply using the services you are subscribed: End Edit) ie providers are no longer allowed to keep you from adding or changing the wiring within your home. I suspect that anyone who wants to use it with a home security system and wire it themselves, can legally do it with out any fear of violating the TOS.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa

Premium Member

Yes, I agree with that. I read the TOS as saying professional install with enhanced wiring was required if you wanted to connect to a security system.

Your interpretation is better - that it is required if you want them to connect it to your security system.

They are pretty specific about the self-install though - connect to phone only, not wiring.

As a practical matter, people are going to connect it to whatever they want. The bank robber analogy was hyperbole, and in retrospect a bit misguided.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Well their FAQ is quite clear, I doubt a self-install changes anything, I believe all they are saying is there is one phone jack on the modem for each line.

»optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· a_id/263

You can connect as many phones as you'd like to Optimum Voice®.

1. You can connect multiple phones to Optimum Voice utilizing existing phone jacks in your home. Cablevision will connect Optimum Voice to your existing working phone jacks if you ask for our free Home Wiring Solution. There is no additional charge when it’s requested with your initial order for Optimum Voice service. Otherwise, a professional installation fee of $39.95 will apply.

2. You may also use multiple phones with Optimum Voice by connecting a multi-handset cordless phone base station to Line 1 of the cable modem. Additional satellite handsets associated with the base station simply need to be plugged into power outlets. Click here for a diagram.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Thanks for posting that. I didn't realize that the CV hookup was free when you initially order OV. (Of course, there's no way I'd let CV touch my phone wiring anyway. They'd end up with the signal making 2 round-trips to the no-longer-used NID.)

Cablewizzard said that self-install was not an option, but I guess he was wrong.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

If you are Porting a number they may require an install!
megalosaurus
join:2000-11-29
North Salem, NY

megalosaurus

Three years ago, as an existing cable+internet customer, I signed up for a triple-play promotion. I started out with a new number, and then when I was satisfied with it, I told them I wanted to discontinue my Verizon service, port the number to my OV account, and terminate the number Cablevision had given me. There was no house wiring for phones involved, since I was using a multi-handset cordless phone with a base station right next to the modem. However, I had to wire it into the alarm system. I did that wiring myself. Cablevision insisted they had to make a house call because a number was being ported. They got the instructions completely mixed up and wasted two home visits over that. Then there were a couple more visits where the Verizon system inexplicably refused to give up the line. I had several days during which the number was partially ported with strange results. Finally they got the number ported. The techs never had any problem with the fact that I had done all the necessary wiring myself. But the need to have someone come to the house for a number port seems to be non-negotiable.
Expand your moderator at work