dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lardacus
join:2011-10-27

lardacus

Knology in Columbus, GA. (31909 near Airport)

Hello my roommates and I have Knology internet services in Columbus GA and we live behind the airport and have had pretty bad service for a few months now. We have had 2 technicians come out in the past couple of months and have made numerous phone calls. The first tech pretty much just looked at our signals and said everything was fine and he left us with an amplifier plugged into the wall to increase our signal. The second tech that came out last week replaced our modem with a Docsis 3 modem (we had 2.0 before) and that helped improve some of our issues but not nearly all of them.

I understand with all 3 or 4 of us on the internet gaming, streaming etc there is going to be some sort of a latency issue but the problems we are having are much more severe.

We are experiencing high packet loss that result in the connection freezing or dropping momentarily then reconnecting. This obviously is a huge inconvenience especially to anyone that plays online video games. We have also had our latency progressively climb then level out with no disconnect. Like for example playing a game we'll be at 50ms, climb to 100, 200, 300, sometimes even over 1k then it will just reset and go back down to 50ish.

We are experiencing this with multiple games (WoW, Diablo 3, League of Legends, Dota2, multiple other steam games, Xbox 360 games, PS3 games, pretty much anything that uses the connection) and multiple VoIP programs (ventrilo, teamspeek, skype, mumble) so this can erase any speculations that our problem is based on any sort of game or VoIP server.

The most recent tech that came was very unprofessional and suggested that if the problems still persisted with this new Docsis 3 modem that then there was nothing he could do about it and that it was an internal issue. I kid you not before leaving he even said "Charter is offering 50 megs down now if you guys continue to have issues there are alternative routes you can take." I thought this was a very strange thing to say being a Knology employee, doesn't matter anyways I called Charter and they don't service my area =(

Any thing you guys can do to help resolve some of our issues would be greatly appreciated because we would love to be able to have a reliable and stable connection and you guys are the best option we currently have.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

Try cycling power on your router? Or update the router's firmware?
Lark3po

Lark3po to lardacus

Premium Member

to lardacus
If this was me I would remove everything and connect one (1) computer to the modem and see if I'm still having problems. This would help you figure out who's side of the modem the issue is on.

DJ
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL

DJ to lardacus

Premium Member

to lardacus
What speed package do you have? We have the standard 12/2 package. While it is very fast, bandwidth drops significantly once someone jumps on Netflix, especially if it's HD.

Sounds to me you guys are maxing out your connection.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm to lardacus

to lardacus
it's happening here to me as well... been happening for 3 months now.. does it randomly....

have had them come out twice.... replaced modem.. no fix... it's something to do on the head-end...

it does it randomly i tell you.. i could be just sitting here and doing nothing and it drop and come back...

sequence of lights it does... are ..... all lit... then it drops back to power and DS for like a second(or a minute) and then come right back up for the rest...

if your playing a game it's takes a good 30-45 seconds for the game to recover assuming your connection doesn't drop altogether.
zpm

zpm

Having tech come out, got level 2/3 support to help deal with this....
lardacus
join:2011-10-27

lardacus

nice let me know what they say

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

well, guy came out, the last 2 techs missed several problems... water in my overhead line, and bite marks on a cable running under house...

this has helped...

my dropping still occurs but it's on happened 3 times since 1pm wednesday