All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Frongo3
join:2010-08-23
K2G4P5

Frongo3

[Internet] Bell high speed minimum speed guarantee?

My Bell high speed connection (6mbps, best available) has been horrible since I can remember. The speed most of the time is less than 2mbps and sometimes under 0.5mbps. The ping is always above 200ms, making it impossible to do anything that requires low latency such as gaming.

I've had at least 5 technicians come and look at the connection, they've all said that I'm getting interference and sent cable technicians in, but nothing has changed.

Basically I'm looking for some leverage to actually make them do something to fix it. I know Teksavvy has a minimum speed guarantee of 0.5mbps and they are absolutely required to supply you with that or refund you in full or fix it. Is there some minimum speed guarantee or law that applies to Bell as well?

Chuckcar OTT
@teksavvy.com

Chuckcar OTT

Anon

Well Frongo America does have a minimum value for broadband which was just increased fourfold from a half a megabit to 2 megabits. Canada has nothing you just pay your money win or lose. The rest of the world now has one and ten gigabit connections so we're about 50 years behind the cities and countries we were once in front of.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Frongo3

to Frongo3
Post in the Bell Direct forum and see if they can help. they may be able to offer you a definitive diagnosis of the problem.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by DKS:

Post in the Bell Direct forum and see if they can help. they may be able to offer you a definitive diagnosis of the problem.

After 5 tech... I don't think so lol.

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin to Frongo3

Premium Member

to Frongo3
Employees of Bell Canada Direct are truly competent !
Frongo3
K2G4P5

Frongo3

I'm pretty much beyond the point of contacting any regular support. The technicians sent to me tell me the actual lines on the poles are bad but they can't really do anything besides suggest to Bell that there is a problem with them. I've even had technicians straight up blow me off and lie to me telling me they'll do something just to get me off their back. Even the technicians know going through them is fruitless.

This is why I ask about this minimum speed guarantee. I had Teksavvy at one point elsewhere and was getting less than 0.5mbps. The techs on the phone saw how much I was calling and told me about the 0.5mbps guarantee. They told me that the CRTC could get involved at that point and gave me a full refund of the setup costs and 2 months of service.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1

MVM

I had a look at Google maps and see that you are in a small town area...you may want to take the "direct" suggestion as they have access to technicians who might be able to assist further.
ruggs
join:2012-03-26
Ontario

ruggs

Any possible issue with filtering on the inside?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

said by DKS:

In fact, they know more that the line technicians. They aren't perfect, but they know what to look for.
DKS

DKS to Frongo3

to Frongo3
said by Frongo3:

This is why I ask about this minimum speed guarantee.

No ISP in Canada offers a minimum speed guarantee, that I know of. They may refund your money, if you can't get a stable connection.
kovy7

kovy7 to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by kovy7:

said by DKS:

In fact, they know more that the line technicians. They aren't perfect, but they know what to look for.

Well they can't repair the problem if it's outside... and after 5 visit from tech and cable rep... the only place this should go is a manager so they can send a senior tech on site or if needed a cable rep guy.

I'm pretty sure direct forum can escalate this just as well... but to say they are going to find the issue, that's a bit of a stretch.
Frongo3
K2G4P5

Frongo3

said by kovy7:

Well they can't repair the problem if it's outside... and after 5 visit from tech and cable rep... the only place this should go is a manager so they can send a senior tech on site or if needed a cable rep guy.

I'm pretty sure direct forum can escalate this just as well... but to say they are going to find the issue, that's a bit of a stretch.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one of the techs spoke to a manager and did in fact send a senior tech out. So one of the techs was a senior tech.

Most of these visits did actually result in a cable repair technician being sent out (probably 3 or 4 times). They did do some actual work on the lines but none of it helped at all.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Frongo3:

said by kovy7:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one of the techs spoke to a manager and did in fact send a senior tech out. So one of the techs was a senior tech.

Most of these visits did actually result in a cable repair technician being sent out (probably 3 or 4 times). They did do some actual work on the lines but none of it helped at all.

At this point you have 2 choices... keep receiving techs or go elsewhere... lol, I know what I would do.
Frongo3
K2G4P5

Frongo3

said by kovy7:

said by Frongo3:

said by kovy7:

At this point you have 2 choices... keep receiving techs or go elsewhere... lol, I know what I would do.

Unfortunately, Bell is all we have in this area. Otherwise, I would have switched years ago.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Frongo3:

Unfortunately, Bell is all we have in this area. Otherwise, I would have switched years ago.

Ishhh, good luck!
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep to Frongo3

Premium Member

to Frongo3
As suggested above, Bell Canada Direct here:

»Bell Canada Direct

is your best option.

Bell Canada Direct is staffed by a dedicated group of Bell employees. The Bell employees will have access to the records of previous work completed, any notes or recommendations, and they have access to the CO (Central Office) test centre and can order new tests. Be patient! Usually the same technician will follow your problem. This may result in a delay due to his days off, but their success record is pretty good. Let us know how you make out.

Each post is secure between the customer and Bell. Clicking on a topic results in this response:

You cannot read topics created by other members in this forum

However you are free to create your own topic. You can do that by pressing BACK then NEW TOPIC.

If you are still confused as to how this works, please read the forum header, and click the RULES button.

Rick

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

Sorry, my experience over the last decade is such that the Bell Direct staff know what they are talking about and can speak "Bell" to the front line crews. You may recall my experience over false 911 calls a few years ago. Bell Direct has also boosted my line to 5 meg down when the line techs refused to qualify it for more than 3 meg.
kovy7

kovy7

said by DKS:

said by kovy7:

Sorry, my experience over the last decade is such that the Bell Direct staff know what they are talking about and can speak "Bell" to the front line crews. You may recall my experience over false 911 calls a few years ago. Bell Direct has also boosted my line to 5 meg down when the line techs refused to qualify it for more than 3 meg.

I can boost your line to higher if you want... it's not a miracle thing.

When a trouble is with the line, it's a whole other ball game. They are not the ones going to fix a line issue... On top of that it's been refered to cable dep... They can help the tech finding the problem requiring a call back... but they are limited to working with the one on site.

Direct can do many things, but repairing line trouble that's a different situation. I'm sure they are great people and competent, no doubt... but a line trouble is always the worst case scenario.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by kovy7:

Really? What about a 25/7 to 25/10 bump? :P

Kidding, I'm in no rush, the regularly scheduled upgrades will hit eventually.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Guspaz:

said by kovy7:

Really? What about a 25/7 to 25/10 bump? :P

Kidding, I'm in no rush, the regularly scheduled upgrades will hit eventually.

I could LOL

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

Direct can do many things, but repairing line trouble that's a different situation. I'm sure they are great people and competent, no doubt... but a line trouble is always the worst case scenario.

I don't disagree that it's a bad situation. but as I said, I found them very helpful in isolating several bad pair and working in co-operation with the line technicians.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Frongo3

Premium Member

to Frongo3
> Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one of the techs spoke to a manager and did in fact
> send a senior tech out. So one of the techs was a senior tech.
> Most of these visits did actually result in a cable repair technician being sent out
> (probably 3 or 4 times). They did do some actual work on the lines but none of it helped at all.

Did any of them have a portable line analyzer? Did they show you any of the numbers it was measuring? Did you write them down? Can you post them here?

Do you own your own DSL modem (one that can easily show you your line stats) ?
kovy7

kovy7 to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by kovy7:

I don't disagree that it's a bad situation. but as I said, I found them very helpful in isolating several bad pair and working in co-operation with the line technicians.

That's what Bell tech do all day... answer calls for on site tech.
Frongo3
K2G4P5

Frongo3 to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

> Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one of the techs spoke to a manager and did in fact
> send a senior tech out. So one of the techs was a senior tech.
> Most of these visits did actually result in a cable repair technician being sent out
> (probably 3 or 4 times). They did do some actual work on the lines but none of it helped at all.

Did any of them have a portable line analyzer? Did they show you any of the numbers it was measuring? Did you write them down? Can you post them here?

Do you own your own DSL modem (one that can easily show you your line stats) ?

They did use a portable line analyzer both on the wire at my house and the wire at the demarcation point across the road. I didn't record any numbers but they were telling me that there was electrical interference on the line or something like that.

I don't have access to the line stats in the modem immediately as I don't currently live at that house, but I can get them probably later today.