Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

Notice stating my AT&T DSL service will become AT&T Uverse

Anyone else get a notice recently about their AT&T DSL service being changed to AT&T Uverse? I haven't made any changes to my AT&T DSL/Phone plan in years. Got a notice that states in the next 30 days my service will change to AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service. It further states that "In order for your new service to work you'll need new equipment -- which will be provided to you free of charge."

It says I'm supposed to call 1-877.377.1686 as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition. Then it states that if I don't call by Monday, June 25, 2012, my service will be temporarily suspended until I contact AT&T.

The notice further states that AT&T will "guarantee the price of your current plan for the next 12 months". And that my "monthly bandwidth usage allowance will increase from 150 GB to 250 GB per month."

W8ASA
Tieng gi vay?

join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH

I have ATT DSL here in the Dayton, Ohio area. No notice received here. I have a 6 Mb solid connection.
--
Microwave and RF Components at www.ohiomicrowave.com

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to bennor

The uverse internet does not use pppoe that's why new equipment is needed

Can you post a copy of the notice

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

Click for full size
Front
Click for full size
Back
Here is the letter.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Thanks for posting that......
Do you think the letter is a hoax?

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to bennor

Looks to me like the OP is being "IP-DSLAMed"- his central office is being converted from "regular" PPPoE-based ADSL to IP-DSLAM.

My niece went through this last summer when she inquired about upgrading from 768/128. The AT&T rep offered her 6/768 for the same $19.95/month she was paying for her 768/128 along with a $50 (or was it $100) rebate card for the new IP-DSLAM modem and Linksys E1000 router. The install date was scheduled 3 weeks out.

It was an absolute nightmare. AT&T failed to make the ADSL -> IP-DSLAM transition at 8PM on the scheduled install date. They finally got the IP-DSLAM going after several calls to AT&T horrid UVerse support. AT&T even charged her $100+ to install a new phone jack (and maybe a "home run" line to this jack?). She was billed at ~$38/month for several months but it's correct now (as of about 3 or so months ago). She got the equipment rebate.

All is well now... she's getting close to the max up/down speeds and it seems to be working well and the Linksys E1000 seems to be a pretty solid router. When her promo expires and her rate goes back to ~$38/month, I wonder if Time Warner will offer her a better deal for Internet only in the city of Cleveland for comparable up/down speeds?

AT&T can go suck. .

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to wayjac

said by wayjac:

Do you think the letter is a hoax?

That, for some reason, was my first thought. Which is why I posted this thread to see if anyone else with plain old AT&T DSL service has gotten a similar letter.

That telephone number is mentioned in a Slickdeals thread (At&T U-Verse Internet 12mbps $25 per mo YMMV - page 26), also mentioned is a letter similar to the one I recieved.
»slickdeals.net/f/3406670-At-T-U-···?page=26

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to bennor

Called the 1-877-377-1686 number this morning. Number appears, or so the phone tree recording claims, to be the AT&T Web Sales Center. Spoke to a person (CSR) who said they had to setup an order to ship via UPS the "wireless modem" (their words) self install kit to replace the current DSL modem I use since they are apparently phasing out DSL and moving users to the Uverse service in my market. I asked what brand/model of wireless modem they were shipping, CSR didn't know. CRS claimed I was not going to be charged for the new equipment.

The CRS then asked about upgrading my broadband service since moving to Uverse presents a different pricing structure and broadband speeds. I am currently paying for the Pro (3 MB) DSL service @ $24 per month. The CRS indicated that I could get the 6 MB Uverse for $19.95 per month for the next 12 months and rises to $43 after 12 months. The 3 MB Uverse plan is $14.95 for 12 months and rises to $38 after 12 months. There were faster speed plans but I didn't discuss them with the CSR.

The CRS, for some reason, asked for my home phone number, then asked for a second phone number as a contact number. The CRS also asked me for a 4 digit pin number, and to choose an answer to one of 4 security questions.

CSR indicated the self install kit should arrive via UPS in 5-6 business days. No signature requred. CRS indicated there would be further instructions on when to activate the new modem in the package. Received an order confermation email (to the main AT&T email account) shortly after the phone conversation.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to bennor

I can tell you it is legit as they are converting a lot of areas to IP-DSLAM (uverse IP dsl/vdsl). If you are getting the letter it means your days on your current central office/remote terminal equipment are numbered.

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to bennor

The shipment details email sent by AT&T indicates they are shipping a 2Wire 3600HGV Gateway.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The 3600 is a vdsl modem

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

Click for full size
2Wire 3600HGV compared to Speedstream 4100
Click for full size
2Wire 3600HGV Front
Click for full size
2Wire 3600HGV Back
Click for full size
2Wire 3600HGV Included Items
Some pictures of the 2Wire 3600HGV for those who are interested.

Yes its a modem, but its also a wireless G router with 4 Ethernet ports (and two phone ports Uverse phone service apparently).

The 2Wire 3600HGV was delivered from TX a day earlier than was indicated in the email confirming shipment. Also an email was received that indicated the cut over date/time from DSL to Uverse, this Thursday at 8 pm. The 2Wire 3600HGV package includes one phone/dsl filter, three phone filters, two Ethernet cords. Documentation includes an "idiots setup guide" (setup instructions with pictures), but no user manual or user guide. The 2Wire 3600HGV is huge, it's bigger than other routers I've used over the years. It also has a substantial power brick too.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to bennor

Did that notice come in an envelope with any outside warnings or special markings or did it look like all the other junk mail about U-verse?

I trash the daily U-verse related, junk mail from AT&T w/o opening it.
--
TCE Weather

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

Don't remember. I generally open mailing from AT&T but toss them if they are spam mailings for Uverse.

Had the cut over today. The DSL service went down six hours prior to the 8pm time they indicated to activate the new equipment.

Now I just need to decide what to do about my existing Wireless N router. Currently its configured as a Wireless Access Point behind the 2Wire. May reconfigure the 2Wire as much as possible to emulate "bridged mode", and put the Wireless N in the DMZplus zone as detailed in the following links.
»forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Ga···/2707013
»www.comprepairgurus.com/att-u-ve···mz-mode/
»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=602195

Two things suck about the 2Wire. First is the inability to easily set the modem/router into bridge mode. Second, is the inability (as far as I've seen) to use non AT&T DNS servers in the 2Wire's DHCP section.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by bennor:

Second, is the inability (as far as I've seen) to use non AT&T DNS servers in the 2Wire's DHCP section.

That you can get around setting the DNS you want inside your N router and dmz+ traffic to it (I run a 2wire 2701hg-b the same way!). The DNS part of it isn't changeable due to the fact I believe that modem has phone ports on it for VoIP. The DNS cannot change as (and if you order UVerse voice) as that is where the VoIP gets it's credentials from the Anycast system.

Ironically a lot of the DNS problems are due to the faulty coding of the DNS resolvers inside the modems themselves (what we found with 2wire a while back). If it was an actual AT&T anycast DNS problem not only would uverse users complain, dsl users, wireless users, t1 users, etc. Anyone using Uverse voice would complain, it's a whole pandora's box.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

said by David:

That you can get around setting the DNS you want inside your N router and dmz+ traffic to it (I run a 2wire 2701hg-b the same way!).

Which is my plan. For some reason my Roku's have streaming issues at times when using the AT&T DNS servers.

Kevin Bryan

join:2012-03-19
Scotland, CT

So if I get bumped to UVerse internet (currently on DSL in a UVerse area), and do not take Voice -- can I still use Open DNS ?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by Kevin Bryan:

So if I get bumped to UVerse internet (currently on DSL in a UVerse area), and do not take Voice -- can I still use Open DNS ?

on your own device sure.... just set the 2wire unit to dmz+ your device and pass all traffic to your router.

Kevin Bryan

Scotland, CT

so would I log in via PPPoE on my router? or in this hypothetical scenario would I keep my router in access point only mode (no NAT) like it is now ?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

If you want to use the 2wire dmzplus the router must use dhcp on it's wan/internet port

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to Kevin Bryan

the vdsl/adsl2+ service doesn't use PPPoE. For your router you would put it in DHCP mode and get your IP from the 2wire or att modem you have on there.

Kevin Bryan

Scotland, CT

thank you. My DSL Direct is working great now thanks to your help. However, I know its just a matter of time before they move me over to UVerse.

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT

1 edit
reply to Kevin Bryan

said by Kevin Bryan:

so would I log in via PPPoE on my router? or in this hypothetical scenario would I keep my router in access point only mode (no NAT) like it is now ?

No, you would not use PPPoE on your router, the (new/DSL replacement) AT&T supplied router/modem will handle the authentication with DSL line. There is no true bridge mode on the AT&T 3600HGV like there was with previous AT&T DSL modems. These new router/modems are VDSL. You configure your router, connected via it's WAN port to the 3600HGV LAN port, to receive a DHCP address from the AT&T router then put your router into the AT&T router/modem's DMZplus zone. The links above, in particular this link: »forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Ga···/2707013, in my previous post explain how to configure a router to work in DMZplus mode with the AT&T supplied Uverse router.

Here is another link for those who use Tomato firmware based routers. Connecting a Tomato Based Router to an AT&T U-Verse 2wire 3600HGV: »rockydog.homedns.org/Uverse.php

The simplest way to connect another router behind the 3600HGV is to disable the second router's DHCP server and connect the the 3600HGV to the second router by the wired LAN ports, NOT the second router's WAN port. Note with DD-WRT and Tomato you can reconfigure the WAN port to act as a LAN port. I currently have my Belkin F7D7301 wireless N router, loaded with TomatoUSB, configured this way to allow for the 3600HGV to handle the B/G wireless clients and the Belkin router handles the N wireless clients.

van13330gg

join:2012-06-15
Meriden, CT
reply to bennor

I long wanted to upgrade my internet but it's not working out. 2 years ago I tried to upgrade internet and had 2 technicians came over. However, they could not increase the internet speed at my house after countless of "fixing" the lines. A year after, my internet was suddenly suspended and my browser tells me to call ATT to get it restored. They told me that I have to upgrade to U-verse...which I happily accepted. 3 technicians later and I still have the 1.5Mbps plan.