how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrainToad

join:2011-09-03
Vallejo, CA

[Speed Problem] DSL speeds sub 1mbps, AGAIN

I'm on the DSL Express package, so it is "up to 1.5mbps". When everything is working, I usually get around 1.2 to 1.3mbps, this is acceptable to me and AT&T. But now for the second time my speeds have dropped to consistently hanging around 0.75 to 0.80mbps. This happened 3 months ago as well. After much drama I got it fixed, but now the speed is back down again. I'm probably going to go back to AT&T support or more drastic measures again. But what I want to see first is if there is anything else I can do before I do it, or if there is anyway to get past the usual dumb support questions, or just getting a tech out period. Once I get to deal with a field tech, everything goes by so much quicker.

I've power cycled the router about 3 times already, reset it through the configuration page about twice as much as that. All phone lines have DSL filters like they should. All computers, wired and wireless, get the same slower speed. The router is even reporting 960kps down, when it used to be 1000+ before this started happening.

Here are the connection details from my router:

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 960 kbps
Upstream Rate: 384 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 6.0 dB (Downstream) 14.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 61.2 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 14.9 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0x0F} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/35

Here is a speedtest screenshot:
»www.speedtest.net/result/1964046795.png

Anything else I should try before I call AT&T?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Check your filters and wiring. If those are really good, your numbers imply a loop length which won't support more than 768kb down.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

BrainToad

join:2011-09-03
Vallejo, CA
There is only one phone in the house and it is filtered, so unless they can go bad, that's good.

Wiring can be another issue, as we have had problems in the past that were because of it (static on phoneline), but the last tech didn't think there was anything wrong with them and fixed the last speed problem by going to the box a couple streets over.

I'm hopefully getting a tech out this week, anything I should bring up with him specifically? I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of all this, but can learn if it will help me help the tech better my situation.

Ditto goes to the loop length stuff. I've gotten higher then 768kb in the past, so is there anything I can change to fix it?

Thanks.

jr9730

join:2000-11-22
Torrance, CA
Get a cord and plug straight into the nid terminatrion box on the side of the house and see if it helps (pull all the phones off first as well, and anything else plugged in a forgotten outlet, etc..).. If no change, then you have pretty much eliminated the inside issues by byopassing them at the nid..

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by jr9730:

Get a cord and plug straight into the nid terminatrion box on the side of the house and see if it helps (pull all the phones off first as well, and anything else plugged in a forgotten outlet, etc..).. If no change, then you have pretty much eliminated the inside issues by byopassing them at the nid..

agreed, that's where your field tech is going to go first and see what reading he has out there. if they have good sync out there, they will be going inside to look at the wiring, which could be billable at that point.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!