Search similar:

uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

LCD screen flickering around the outside?

I come home after the weekend and my new laptop is doing this. I have never seen such a thing, about 1 cm or so in from the edges all the way around. It is not a driver thing as it does it when booting and in the BIOS.

I assume it means it is fucked, and has to go back (just getting it was a nightmare if you recall, someone at Canada Post stole the first one). This was from Future Shop and their site is not clear on the proceedures for replace / repair. This was a factory refurb Lenovo (it has Lenovo's sticker on it that says so.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I've seen loose connectors cause behavior like you're describing - but since you just got it; probably not in your best interest to open it up and reseat anything... Most likely has to go somewhere for repairs.

If you've got an external monitor handy you can plug it into, that will tell you if it's the panel or video card itself... Not that it really matters, I suppose.
silverchris
join:2009-08-10
Orangeville, ON

silverchris to donoreo

to donoreo
You should be able to walk into any Future Shop location, and have them facilitate the repair. They will likely have to send it out if its over 14 days old.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by silverchris:

You should be able to walk into any Future Shop location, and have them facilitate the repair. They will likely have to send it out if its over 14 days old.

Odd, I thought I had posted that I called and that is what they told me. Weird. I received it May 3, that was the first thing they looked up.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to donoreo

Anon

to donoreo
Agreed, if you take it to any Future Shop they will handle the RMA if it's less than a month old I believe. They will also try and upsell you an extended warranty. It may be worthwhile to take it.

Shit like this is the reason I never buy refurb hardware. Once a lemon, always a lemon...

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

To my extreme annoyance it started working fine. I was part way through re-installing to factory defaults with Windows ( I had Linux on it) and it started. It is not Windows, because it was doing it when I started and stopped before it finished and in the BIOS.

I envision a long painful time with this. Intermittent problems are the worst.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

If you're still inside the grace period buy an extended warranty from FS.

Considering it's a refurb, check your paperwork. Most refurb guarantees are generally only good for 90 days.

If as you say it's an intermittent fault, an extended warranty is a very good investment to make.

Considering you bought it online, you could probably buy the extended warranty through their 1-800 hotline.

If they refuse because it's outside the grace period, there's also the possibility of getting a third party extended warranty from another service.

I used to have a company that provided such a service in Toronto bookmarked but can't seem to find them atm. I'll do a little searching for them later.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

It is a 1 year warranty, I know that for sure. I just hate to deal with this hassle.