Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York

some great recent sci-fi movies?

What were some great sci-fi movies over the past few years?

What dod you like?

Thank you...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Inception.
Avengers.
Thor.
Captain America.
Solomon Kane [Not distributed in the USA, have to look for it on the net. I don't even know if there is a DVD that is coded for USA region]
Ink. Indie film that used Bit torrent to get out to the masses, and the masses loved it enough to go to Ink's website and support the film. Imagine that, a film that got known by bit torrent, then supported by the fans.
Conan.
John Carter [The movie was pretty decent. It should have done better at the box office].

Let me in and Let the right one in. I like the Swedish version better. The Swiss version hinted at a the more sinister nature of the girls adult handler.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium
join:2002-01-19
Atlanta, GA
reply to inGearX

Primer, which apparently is 8 years old but still good (»www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/)

Moon, which is only 3 years old (»www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/)

I mention these because they're not big budget Hollywood films and people may not have ever heard of them.
--
And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you, and show you my weak side, what would you do?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to inGearX

said by inGearX:

What were some great sci-fi movies over the past few years?

What dod you like?

Thank you...

"District 9" very good movie. Not you typical alien sci-fi movie.
"Moon" was interesting.
"Cloverfield" Semi-scary sci-fi.
"Cube"

Sure there are plenty of others...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to inGearX

Nice choices so far.

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Inception.
Conan.

by Conan is it Conan the Barbarian (2011)

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0816462

?

thx

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Yes, the recent one. It wasn't as "good" as the first. As Arnold has a "larger" then life appearance vs the last guy who played Conan. The last guy, IMO, wouldn't stand out in a crowd.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to J E F F

I like the entire Cube series. The last one, which was a "prequal was very interesting.

Moon was surprisingly good as well.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

What is Moon about?

crazediamond
Premium
Atlanta, GA

A guy who's the sole human inhabitant of a helium-3 mining station on the far side of the moon who has an accident.

Can't really talk about it any more because I'm not smart enough to do so without ruining it.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by crazediamond:

A guy who's the sole human inhabitant of a helium-3 mining station on the far side of the moon who has an accident.

Can't really talk about it any more because I'm not smart enough to do so without ruining it.

Use spoiler tag at right.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Alpha Phoenix

It's a movie that is best to watch without doing research to see what it is about.

The set up is:
A man stationed at a moon base. The base is pretty much automated, so the staffing is just one person. The person is at the station for a couple of years before being able to return home.
This guy's return date is approaching.

From there, things get interesting.
--

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to inGearX

Click for full size
Another Earth (2011). Written by the lead actress (pictured).

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to inGearX

Serenity

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to inGearX

A movie that was excellent, but gets little mention is Impostor.
It's another movie based on a Philip K. Dick short story of the same title. It's not a recent film either.

It's about a paranoid world that is at war with an alien force. The Aliens have tech that allows them to disguise themselves as humans.

It's kinda like the Kevin Costner film "No way out".

--

pb5k
Can't Triforce
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Glendale, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to inGearX

Surprised that no one else has mentioned The Man from Earth! Absolutely the best sci-fi film I've seen in years. Don't read the synopsis or search for anything about it, just grab a copy and watch it. Mind=blown.

Donnie Darko is great if you like weird metaphysical films. Get the director's cut, and stay away from the abominable "sequel", S. Darko.

Real Steel is more of an action flick but has a lot of heart, I enjoyed it.

I also liked the Cube movies, glad to see they got some love here!
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

crazediamond
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Another vote against S. Darko

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to aannoonn

There was a thread here about Another Earth: »[Sci-Fi] Another Earth - Not what I expected, but not disappoint
I thought it was a pretty good movie, but not as Sci-Fi-ish as I thought it would be.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to inGearX

A few are older but still good IMO.

District 9 - Good aliens on earth flick
Moon - Interesting drama
Sunshine - Great CGI driven flick
Troll Hunter - More horror than Sci-fi but very good.
Ghost of Mars - Better than some low budget flicks.
--
"We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really."

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to inGearX

I thought In Time was pretty good: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1637688/

Cowboys And Aliens was ... ummm... entertaining : »www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/

Super 8 was alright: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1650062/

Atlas Shrugged, Part 1 was pretty good, but they haven't gotten to the real good stuff yet, and I'm not sure if they ever will . It's supposed to be a trilogy: »www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was well done: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1318514/

Source Code was great: »www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/

Limitless was very good: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1219289/

TRON: Legacy was pretty good, especially for fans of the 80's movie: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/

Forgot one. Hunter Prey was a pretty good Sci-Fi movie, especially since it was made on a relatively small budget: »www.imdb.com/title/tt1270291/

And I agree with the other posters about District 9, Moon, Captain America, Sunshine, Inception, and Serenity.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Grail Knight

Sunshine is a great movie. The music in it always gives me goosebumps even though I've seen it many times.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Rook008

quote:
Atlas Shrugged, Part 1 was pretty good, but they haven't gotten to the real good stuff yet, and I'm not sure if they ever will . It's supposed to be a trilogy: »www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

»www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a···l-286633

I am an Atlas shrugged movie fan on facebook. They post updates and info about the movies. The second one will be released this year.

From what I read, they did a complete cast and crew change. Meaning new actors and Director.

»www.imdb.com/title/tt1985017/

The new cast look to have a tad more experience/weight then the original cast. Though I thought the original cast was fine.
Be interesting to see D.B. Sweeny as John Galt. I hope he has the chops to pull it off.

So it's scheduled to be released later this year, maybe around election time.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Yeah, after I posted the IMDB link I went back and actually read some of what was going on with it.
It seems they went "bigger" with part 2. I liked the original cast, but it looks like there are more familiar names in the new one. I just wish they didn't replace the woman who played Dagny, Taylor Schilling. I thought she did a really good job with the first one, and the new actor, Samantha Mathis, seems a bit old.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I agree. I'm shocked they are making the 2nd part, as well as the 3rd part. From what I read the first one cost 25 million to make, and only took in about 2 mil. at the box office. I saw it at the box office, picked up the DVD, and watched the Netflix stream. I liked the movie. The ending was great.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Apparently a big Ayn Rand fan helped finance the first one, but it did poorly at the box office so there was doubt as to whether the second and third would be made.
But I have to admit, I don't remember there being much marketing push for the first one.
Hopefully the second does well and they make the final chapter.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I think the first one was only released in 5000 theaters. So the fact that it did 2 mil is respectable, and with little mass media advertising. Most of the ads I recall seeing for the 1st one were on Facebook, or google adsense ads.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to inGearX

"Time Crimes" is really good (make sure you get a copy with English dubbed audio) »www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to inGearX

I have not seen these but they might be good:
"Attack The Block" (scifi comedy with the fat guy from shaun of the dead)
"Contagion" »www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/
"The Divide" »www.imdb.com/title/tt1535616/
"Source Code" »www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/
"Take Shelter" »www.imdb.com/title/tt1675192/
"The Road" »www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/
"Vanishing On 7th Street" »www.imdb.com/title/tt1452628/
"Waste of Space (low budget scifi comedy)" »www.imdb.com/title/tt0765485/
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

"Time Crimes" is really good (make sure you get a copy with English dubbed audio) »www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

Time Crimes was good, but make sure you get the subtitled version, because the English dubbing sucks big time.

The Man from Earth was also good.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to r81984

I saw Vanishing on 7th Street a while ago but I can't remember what happens at the end of the movie at all. I remember there were some creepy scenes, but other than that the movie didn't leave an impression on me.
--