spc
Search similar:

uniqs
illriv
join:2012-05-31

illriv to ashrc4

to ashrc4

Re: Google Chrome Now the No. 1 Browser in the World

Well I know that a lot of people are actually a fan of using Chrome though it is something that I have not really been able to adapt to. I think that its very cause of actually being able to do hardware acceleration is really nice but it makes it more prone to actually crash and have more problems for it. Good for them though and that is based on what you want done.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by illriv:

Well I know that a lot of people are actually a fan of using Chrome though it is something that I have not really been able to adapt to. I think that its very cause of actually being able to do hardware acceleration is really nice but it makes it more prone to actually crash and have more problems for it. Good for them though and that is based on what you want done.

Yep. The hardware acceleration causes instant crash. I could use early versions of Iron but not any for about 5-6 months now. Start Chrome/Iron/bam!/crash. The crash locks up the whole computer too. I don't really care since I never liked even Iron and continued with it only because I figured Google would eventually wake up and create a decent browser that wasn't bare bones insulting crap that crashes constantly...but they never did. If anyone is buying Opera it should be Google since they have no idea how to write a decent browser and they would benefit greatly from Opera's elegance.

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

1 edit

gugarci to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
I love Chrome and have been using it as my default browser for almost a year. Here's a great link from Wilders with tips on how to configure Chrome for security and privacy.
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· t=317792
I could use Iron, and as soon as they begin to release security updates as quickly as Google I'll switch.
ABP, with Fanboy's or Easy's Privacy List, and ScriptNo also help to combat the privacy issues.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Wow...look at all them stars.

»internet-browser-review. ··· ews.com/

I'm shocked - absolutely shocked - that they failed to rate my Off-By-One browser! It would have garnered at least one or two stars... somewhere. It's just not right...

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Brought to you by... Google Ads! /:)

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

3 recommendations

jabarnut to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
Click for full size
said by gugarci:

I love Chrome....

Me too! Especially on a StingRay from the 60's. Ah man! The memories.
The Browser? Well, not so much.
PrivacyExprt
join:2010-09-29
Longwood, FL

1 edit

PrivacyExprt to Name Game

to Name Game
Iron seems ok, but I find all chrome/chromium browsers pretty buggy. Seriously..

Waterfox is better, but Opera actually seems the most stable. If you run something like a sandbox, or Online Armors "Run Safer", it's really the same as Chrome in those respects anyway.
wat0114
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
Calgary, AB

wat0114 to therube

Premium Member

to therube
Click for full size
Click for full size
I suppose if a browser's security is based purely on its architecture, Chrome might be tops. It is interesting to note as shown in the ss that Chrome's renderer and gpu processes now run as "untrusted" il in Win 7. I know I've illustrated this before somewhere, but even Firefox/Waterfox, including Flash plugin, can be forced to run at "Low" il using chml with no crippling effect on the browsing experience.

My "gut feeling" (I know not the best way to determine browser security) tells me that at least in my setups, I can surf perfectly secure using either. I also use NoScript plugin with Waterfox.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game to PrivacyExprt

Premium Member

to PrivacyExprt
said by PrivacyExprt:

said by Name Game:

Yes..they planted me in this here forum as a mole back in 2001 before the cold war between IE and fireflux...in anticipation for the day they decided to enter the fray. They promised me all the images I could handle without redirects...and a guaranteed I would not be caught on the street cam when I was watering my lawn.

So then you are just a fanboi mouthpiece for whatever you happen to be infatuated with, circulating memes like some cyberspace pied piper, but not paid for it? That's even worse. Seriously.. Find something better to do. We get it, you like Chrome.. Others don't, let them exist in peace.

You'll enjoy life a lot better once you realize that your preferences, are just that, yours. It's very peaceful when you come to this realization. You can then offer 'suggestions' and sound like an impartial bystander, and not some industry sellout shill trumpeting the same nonsense from forum to forum. Give it a try.

You be a hard act to follow..can't come up with anything concrete on the subject so you just blow it out your nose cause you don't like Google and now you want me to be your pasty... never happen there "Privacy Expert" ..and you use this "we" thing all the time like you be head of a group. When you ask or insinuate stupid question..and then answer them yourself..you are offensive and rude.
Name Game

Name Game to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
Planning Vs. The Internet
( or why Chrome users get more things done each day than Firefox user. )

»www.makeuseof.com/tech-f ··· nternet/
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't get it. What's "Blackboard"? Why wouldn't he be using Word to type his questions...it's nice and cheap for students AND Chrome would not be distracting him if he opened Office instead of Chrome. It doesn't make sense.

What's "Stumbling"? Why would he stay on it (whatever it is) instead of going to Twiitter, checking his email, reading the news?

I don't get the point of that comparison. If he wanted to do his homework, he would have opened Office not some browser.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Negative on your home work theory...

Blackboard works with our clients to develop and implement technology that improves every aspect of education. We enable clients to engage more students in exciting new ways, reaching them on their terms and devices—and connecting more effectively, keeping students informed, involved, and collaborating together.

Through this innovative technology, services and expertise we work with our clients to build a better education experience.

»www.blackboard.com/

Stumbling

StumbleUpon is the easiest way to discover interesting photos, videos, web pages and more, recommended by people sharing your Interests. Click the “Stumble!” button, to see page after page of amazing stuff you’d never expect to see. Explore more.

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· bleupon/

To stumble..one answers lots of question like a dating service to create a profile..and then they have a go at finding stuff they like...kind of like your own personal stroke your ego search thingie that goes on and on. Many people spend hours on it each day.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That looked really boring to me. Plus, that website is full of words that try to sound important but don't really tell you anything but fill page after page on their website. I gather this student is going to school via the internet and not in a real school...ok....I guess...pretty boring to do that.

Stumbling also sounds extremely boring. I don't depend on others to tell me what to like. I blaze my own path...always have...I don't march to the drummer that the sheeple march to. It didn't look like that extension would find more quality security sites out there (for the next time dslr goes down) so why would I be interested in it? I don't have a problem like all those folks have with finding interesting sites on my own and I'd much rather find them myself because if I go on what someone recommends most likely I won't like the site. But then I don't need to find a bunch of new sites like those people seem to need to do to keep from being bored. This site has plenty to keep me from being bored! The people that use something like stumbling must be very fickle.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
LOL Oh come on now. I can do all of that in my favorite browser.

It was funny though. Especially the reference to StumbleUpon. That made my day.

I am a Firefox user, tried Chrome, didn't like it. It is that simple. I like Firefox.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I like some of those sites - but just for funnies. Like Icanhazcheezburger. Reddit, Stumble, Digg. That way I don't have to actually GO to Icanhazcheezburger. Our family just sends funnies back and forth. None of us post anything.

So far, I have avoided most of the social stuff on Google. I simply haven't filled stuff in, unchecked most boxes, and will not sync anything automatically. Right now my main rant about Google, and why I'm not using Chrome -

Chrome doesn't let you turn off images on the fly. FX and Opera do.
I haven't looked at Yahoo in years with images on.

Chrome also gives you a list of extensions and if you aren't interested, they remark "Boo, you have no extensions." I can do without the editorializing.

I don't want an "experience." I'd rather have just the plain words and definition. I can read and understand faster than half the extra embellishment you get for an "experience"

I have an Android Phone. Google simply cannot get its play store in order so you can find something. One example - you want a certain browser, you type in said browser. What you get are pages of themes for that browser before the actual app. If that's Google's idea of revelance, then I have doubts about some of the browsing results - especially if they are tailoring it to you. Or think they are.
Since 3 OS are involved, I'm trying to avoid syncing anything. Between Ubuntu, XP, and Android I've lost mail. I don't use the Gmail website - I use Thunderbird.

Google does not let you delete a service. I had Picasa and Blogger.
Decided to hell with it and went to delete those services. No can do.
Deleted all the info and pics - but still listed as a Blogger account.
I'd have to delete my whole Gmail account to get rid of those 2 apps.

No browser ever gives me the results the way I want them. To be fair, some searches are for something very specific and the item I want might not be available.

Searching for how to remove darts in garment contruction got me mostly stuff on the game of darts, etc, then started in on garments.
Finally found the site around the 10th page.

I don't call that efficient. But it goes for all of the browsers. Chrome is the one that I'm annoyed with right now. I'm using Pale Moon and Opera.

MeDuZa
join:2003-06-13
Austria

MeDuZa to ashrc4

to ashrc4
Click for full size
said by Name Game:

Planning Vs. The Internet
( or why Chrome users get more things done each day than Firefox user. )

I'm sure that Chrome users get more things...
said by Name Game:

Negative on your home work theory...

Blackboard works with our clients to develop and implement technology that improves every aspect of education.

Out of curiosity I tried to visit Blackboard.
After enabling scripting and cookies for all sites it still complains that I have to enable cookies.
The site doesn't seem to like something in my settings that might prevent it for doing some lousiness.
I'm afraid I'll miss something that Chrome users won't

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Best then to just stumble here and call it a day

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bl ··· oard_Inc.