how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to Graystoke

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

Yep that's right 3 turners active right now for my area at least. You can record 2 shows at the same time and watch a previously recorded show or ondemand not another tv channel.

cast sucks

@dsl.net
reply to telcodad

and how will going to the cloud work with out SDV they will run out of bandwidth like that.

chadb97

join:2009-07-14
Osceola, IN
reply to aguiar0016

If you have 2 tuners recording, doesn't that leave the 3rd available for live television?

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA

No,
Live TV cannot be watched on a 3rd tuner. There is no swap button or way of changing between them.

Floppy

join:2002-07-03
reply to gate1975mlm

I'm testing the X1 and the 3rd tuner is for live TV, Ondemand or a dvr recorded program.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to gate1975mlm

The recordings are on the hard drive right? Shouldn't need a "tuner" for that unless the recordings are really in the cloud (RS-DVR). You should be able to tell if DVR is in the cloud as trick play commands will have additional latency.

BTW, is there a 30-sec skip?

6 tuners plus the DOCSIS modem will just kill the signal unless there's an amp built in. You would need enough signal for a 7 way internal split (just for every X1 box in the house!). No wonder they only activated 3 tuners.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to Floppy

I'm sorry, having a bad day. Don't know what I was thinking floppy is right.

Sorry

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to cypherstream

No 30 second skip preloaded, I haven't found a code for it to program the remote neither.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

A dual tuner allows you to record two shows and watch a previously recorded show.

zskyline
Premium
join:2007-01-20
Braintree, MA
reply to gate1975mlm

Just got the X1 today... (Braintree, MA) Love it (so far)

grod46

join:2012-11-25
Firebaugh, CA
reply to gate1975mlm

Just Got the X1 today (2 HD DVRs) and so far i love it. I just wish there was a Android app available.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

The recordings are on the hard drive right? Shouldn't need a "tuner" for that unless the recordings are really in the cloud (RS-DVR). You should be able to tell if DVR is in the cloud as trick play commands will have additional latency.

BTW, is there a 30-sec skip?

6 tuners plus the DOCSIS modem will just kill the signal unless there's an amp built in. You would need enough signal for a 7 way internal split (just for every X1 box in the house!). No wonder they only activated 3 tuners.

but other cable systems have boxes with 6 tuners + DOCSIS + MOCA.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

said by Joe12345678:

said by cypherstream:

but other cable systems have boxes with 6 tuners + DOCSIS + MOCA.

Yes, those multi-tuner boxes must have something like an amplifier/splitter in them to maintain the signal levels (albeit with some minor loss in SNR). That means these boxes require a little bit better signal quality coming into them then, than for the average STB, I guess.

Do any of these multi-tuner boxes have a particular "minimum required input SNR" specification shown for them?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to gate1975mlm

Another vendor, Humax this time, has an XI3 RDK client device ready. Called, rather logically, the "XI3-H"

»www.engadget.com/2012/11/28/comc···ble-box/

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

Wow, nice.

It has a sightly different arrangement from Pace's model: »Re: Meet the "XI3" - Comcast's IP-Only STB

The link for the User Manual for the Humax XI3-H is the last one on here: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···&fcc_id=

EDIT: An article on it on the Multichannel News site: »www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···c/140450

EDIT2: Also a news item on it on the Light Reading Cable site: »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

timtom

join:2012-11-15
reply to telcodad

Re: Meet the "XI3" - Comcast's IP-Only STB

We use those as HD boxes

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by timtom:

We use those as HD boxes

According to an article on the XI3 box »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable , it's IP-only, and doesn't contain a QAM tuner, so are you using it with an XG1 "gateway" box? Or are you operating it as a "network DVR" which Comcast is currently testing?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits
reply to telcodad

FYI - There is a brief slideshow of the Humax XI3-H device on the Light Reading Cable site this morning: »www.lightreading.com/document.as···number=1

Image #4 shows its innards.

EDIT: There are also some nice close-up photos of the XI3-H and its accessories under the "External Photos" link on the FCC Exhibits List page: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···d=488710

timtom

join:2012-11-15
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by timtom:

We use those as HD boxes

According to an article on the XI3 box »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable , it's IP-only, and doesn't contain a QAM tuner, so are you using it with an XG1 "gateway" box? Or are you operating it as a "network DVR" which Comcast is currently testing?

I has QAM tuner

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to gate1975mlm

is the control app for Android too or just iDevices still?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to timtom

said by timtom:

said by telcodad:

said by timtom:

We use those as HD boxes

I has QAM tuner

Are you talking about the XG1 gateway box, which has 6 QAM tuners (only 3 of which are currently enabled)? The small XI3 client boxes are IP-only and don't have an on-board QAM tuner.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to timtom

said by timtom:

said by telcodad:

said by timtom:

We use those as HD boxes

I has QAM tuner

Then it can't be the XI3, that reference design is tunerless.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to gate1975mlm

any news on when this will come to the pittsburgh area at least the new guide?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by mikedz4:

any news on when this will come to the pittsburgh area at least the new guide?

I don't think there's anything new since JeepMatt See Profile's reply to you last month: »Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

As it says at the end of the Multichannel News article on the XI3-H:
To date, Comcast has introduced X1 in Boston, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Tenn., and Augusta, Ga., with other markets including Philadelphia and Chicago on deck.

zskyline
Premium
join:2007-01-20
Braintree, MA
reply to gate1975mlm

I have a quick question about the X1. I got it over a week ago and still cannot figure out why when I delete something, I still have to go into the 'deleted' folder and 'erase' it to regain the space.. Have you found a way to work around this?

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA

@zskyline,
No once you delete it you have to go into the deleted folder to completely remove it.
One thing you can do is once you have the title highlighted press the D button on the remote. Not the D on the numbers pad for the D button underneath it. It will save you a step or 2

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to gate1975mlm

So is X1 now available in Philly?

And can current customers get it?

According to this link from November.16,2012
»www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia···page=all

X1 will be available in Philadelphia in a few weeks. Thats almost a month ago

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

Haven't heard from anyone that has gotten it in philly yet.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by mikedz4:

Haven't heard from anyone that has gotten it in philly yet.

»[X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Looks like the X1 just landed on the West Coast now:

Comcast’s next-gen X1 platform heads west to Calif.
By Mike Robuck, CED magazine - December 10, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/12···to-calif

Comcast’s X1, which is its next-generation IP/QAM platform, has landed in California after making its debut in Boston earlier this year.

After a trial in Augusta, Ga., last year, Comcast first launched its X1 platform in Boston, followed by rollouts in Atlanta and Chattanooga. X1 is now in front of Comcast subscribers in the San Francisco Bay area, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno and Santa Barbara, according to a blog post by Comcast Cable’s Marcien Jenckes, senior vice president and general manager of video services. Jenckes also wrote that Comcast would be offering X1 in more areas over the coming months.