Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7
reply to timtom

Re: Meet the "XI3" - Comcast's IP-Only STB

said by timtom:

said by telcodad:

said by timtom:

We use those as HD boxes

According to an article on the XI3 box »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable , it's IP-only, and doesn't contain a QAM tuner, so are you using it with an XG1 "gateway" box? Or are you operating it as a "network DVR" which Comcast is currently testing?

I has QAM tuner

Are you talking about the XG1 gateway box, which has 6 QAM tuners (only 3 of which are currently enabled)? The small XI3 client boxes are IP-only and don't have an on-board QAM tuner.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to timtom

said by timtom:

said by telcodad:

said by timtom:

We use those as HD boxes

According to an article on the XI3 box »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable , it's IP-only, and doesn't contain a QAM tuner, so are you using it with an XG1 "gateway" box? Or are you operating it as a "network DVR" which Comcast is currently testing?

I has QAM tuner

Then it can't be the XI3, that reference design is tunerless.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to gate1975mlm

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

any news on when this will come to the pittsburgh area at least the new guide?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

said by mikedz4:

any news on when this will come to the pittsburgh area at least the new guide?

I don't think there's anything new since JeepMatt See Profile's reply to you last month: »Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

As it says at the end of the Multichannel News article on the XI3-H:
To date, Comcast has introduced X1 in Boston, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Tenn., and Augusta, Ga., with other markets including Philadelphia and Chicago on deck.

zskyline
Premium
join:2007-01-20
Braintree, MA
reply to gate1975mlm

I have a quick question about the X1. I got it over a week ago and still cannot figure out why when I delete something, I still have to go into the 'deleted' folder and 'erase' it to regain the space.. Have you found a way to work around this?

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

@zskyline,
No once you delete it you have to go into the deleted folder to completely remove it.
One thing you can do is once you have the title highlighted press the D button on the remote. Not the D on the numbers pad for the D button underneath it. It will save you a step or 2

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to gate1975mlm

So is X1 now available in Philly?

And can current customers get it?

According to this link from November.16,2012
»www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia···page=all

X1 will be available in Philadelphia in a few weeks. Thats almost a month ago

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

Haven't heard from anyone that has gotten it in philly yet.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by mikedz4:

Haven't heard from anyone that has gotten it in philly yet.

»[X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Looks like the X1 just landed on the West Coast now:

Comcast’s next-gen X1 platform heads west to Calif.
By Mike Robuck, CED magazine - December 10, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/12···to-calif

Comcast’s X1, which is its next-generation IP/QAM platform, has landed in California after making its debut in Boston earlier this year.

After a trial in Augusta, Ga., last year, Comcast first launched its X1 platform in Boston, followed by rollouts in Atlanta and Chattanooga. X1 is now in front of Comcast subscribers in the San Francisco Bay area, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno and Santa Barbara, according to a blog post by Comcast Cable’s Marcien Jenckes, senior vice president and general manager of video services. Jenckes also wrote that Comcast would be offering X1 in more areas over the coming months.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

here is the blog post: »corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···n-valley

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

Geeze. Still not for the keystone area.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
reply to The Q

sweet i'm in Livermore (east bay, San Francisco Bay Area) and it looks like it's available in my area now! I am a triple play premiere member, does anyone know how I would go about getting this box?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

quote:
"Comcast licenses X1 RDK to Solekai Systems"

FierceCable
December 10, 2012
by Dan O'Shea

Engineering services company Solekai Systems has become the latest vendor to license Comcast's Reference Development Kit (RDK) for creating IP and Tru2way set-top boxes, media gateways and other gear to support the cable TV operator's cloud-based Xfinity X1 programming service.
Click the following link for the complete article:

»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···internal
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to egeek84

said by egeek84:

sweet i'm in Livermore (east bay, San Francisco Bay Area) and it looks like it's available in my area now! I am a triple play premiere member, does anyone know how I would go about getting this box?

In most areas where it's been offered so far, it's only been available for new triple play customers.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

An article on the Light Reading Cable site about the X1's launch in California:

Comcast's X1 Rolls Into Silicon Valley
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - December 10, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by egeek84:

In most areas where it's been offered so far, it's only been available for new triple play customers.

Well I just called them and they were able to schedule an installation for today before 12pm noon for them to come out and install two boxes. There is a mandatory installation fee though. I'll update this post once I can confirm that they were able to come out and install the boxes cuz you know with Comcast, you can't put all you cards on the table until they actually show up

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

Egeek-
DAMN! That's what I call service. Keep us posted.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well the awesome installer came out and set us up with the new boxes and the process was quick and painless!! I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

1 edit

Thanks for posting! Looks great!

1 question - did you receive 2 DVR's? Or 1 DVR and 1 HD box?

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JeepMatt:

Thanks for posting! Looks great!

1 question - did you receive 2 DVR's? Or 1 DVR and 1 HD box?

Thanks We got 2 HD DVR's to replace the ones we already had

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to egeek84

said by egeek84:

I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

Great, good luck with it then.

However, there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out with it. See this recent thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

X1 mini-review from a new customer
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1497369

EDIT: There is also this thread on that forum that discusses current X1 issues: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1383321

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Looks like the X1 just landed on the West Coast now:

Comcast’s next-gen X1 platform heads west to Calif.
By Mike Robuck, CED magazine - December 10, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/12···to-calif

Comcast’s X1, which is its next-generation IP/QAM platform, has landed in California after making its debut in Boston earlier this year.

After a trial in Augusta, Ga., last year, Comcast first launched its X1 platform in Boston, followed by rollouts in Atlanta and Chattanooga. X1 is now in front of Comcast subscribers in the San Francisco Bay area, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno and Santa Barbara, according to a blog post by Comcast Cable’s Marcien Jenckes, senior vice president and general manager of video services. Jenckes also wrote that Comcast would be offering X1 in more areas over the coming months.

Nice to see Sac in the list, often we're part of a second wave after the Bay Area gets things... Now of course I still want it to be whole home DVR capable (i.e. Comcast needs to deploy the XI3 IP client boxes) and I'd like the full 6 tuners active...

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

Still no word on the keystone area getting the box?

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to egeek84

said by egeek84:

Well the awesome installer came out and set us up with the new boxes and the process was quick and painless!! I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

I called a few minutes ago and they said no I can not get it since I am not a new customer. Then they said I could get it if I upgraded to there highest package at 199.99 which would add TMC and their highest Internet speed.

No thanks I already pay enough for cable. Guess I will have a long wait after all for the X1 box BOO

So much for being a long time loyal customer

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

I called a few minutes ago and they said no I can not get it since I am not a new customer. Then they said I could get it if I upgraded to there highest package at 199.99 which would add TMC and their highest Internet speed.

No thanks I already pay enough for cable. Guess I will have a long wait after all for the X1 box BOO

So much for being a long time loyal customer

I'm on the plan right below that which is Triple Play Premiere. The one you are talking about is Triple Play Complete. Weird that they didn't let you get it

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

if it were the time when my price rises I would call and ask about it.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by egeek84:

I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

Great, good luck with it then.

However, there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out with it. See this recent thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

X1 mini-review from a new customer
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1497369

EDIT: There is also this thread on that forum that discusses current X1 issues: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1383321

I actually haven't noticed any problems like those listed in those threads. The only thing i've noticed is that the recording light is always on but that's hardly a problem for me and can easily be fixed in a future update. Overall, I am very pleased and this was a MUCH needed update. Hope it rolls out to everyone else very soon, you guys will love it!

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to egeek84

said by egeek84:

When you called comcast they did not say no at first?

I wonder why I was not so lucky?

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

When you called comcast they did not say no at first?

I wonder why I was not so lucky?

Nope I just called and then chose the option for billing. I initially asked the girl if she could transfer me to their loyalty or customer retentions department and she said she was from there and could help me. As soon as I mentioned the X1, she sounded like she knew exactly about it and went on to inform me that it was available but that i'd have to pay the mandatory installation fee. I asked her if she could ask her manager to wave it since we've been with Comcast for many many years and pay over 200 a month for their triple play she came back and was able to give us a discount on it. So yeah, if I were you id ask to be trasnferred to the department that handles cancellations I would imagine they would know more about it and would be inclined to set you up with the X1 if they knew you were contemplating cancellation (not saying u gotta threaten to cancel but it sounds like their department is trained to set customers up with the X1)