share rss forum feed

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

said by JeepMatt:

Thanks for posting! Looks great!

1 question - did you receive 2 DVR's? Or 1 DVR and 1 HD box?

Thanks We got 2 HD DVR's to replace the ones we already had

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to egeek84
said by egeek84:

I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

Great, good luck with it then.

However, there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out with it. See this recent thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

X1 mini-review from a new customer
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1497369

EDIT: There is also this thread on that forum that discusses current X1 issues: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1383321

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Looks like the X1 just landed on the West Coast now:

Comcast’s next-gen X1 platform heads west to Calif.
By Mike Robuck, CED magazine - December 10, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/12···to-calif

Comcast’s X1, which is its next-generation IP/QAM platform, has landed in California after making its debut in Boston earlier this year.

After a trial in Augusta, Ga., last year, Comcast first launched its X1 platform in Boston, followed by rollouts in Atlanta and Chattanooga. X1 is now in front of Comcast subscribers in the San Francisco Bay area, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno and Santa Barbara, according to a blog post by Comcast Cable’s Marcien Jenckes, senior vice president and general manager of video services. Jenckes also wrote that Comcast would be offering X1 in more areas over the coming months.

Nice to see Sac in the list, often we're part of a second wave after the Bay Area gets things... Now of course I still want it to be whole home DVR capable (i.e. Comcast needs to deploy the XI3 IP client boxes) and I'd like the full 6 tuners active...

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Still no word on the keystone area getting the box?

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to egeek84
said by egeek84:

Well the awesome installer came out and set us up with the new boxes and the process was quick and painless!! I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

I called a few minutes ago and they said no I can not get it since I am not a new customer. Then they said I could get it if I upgraded to there highest package at 199.99 which would add TMC and their highest Internet speed.

No thanks I already pay enough for cable. Guess I will have a long wait after all for the X1 box BOO

So much for being a long time loyal customer

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

Well the awesome installer came out and set us up with the new boxes and the process was quick and painless!! I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

I called a few minutes ago and they said no I can not get it since I am not a new customer. Then they said I could get it if I upgraded to there highest package at 199.99 which would add TMC and their highest Internet speed.

No thanks I already pay enough for cable. Guess I will have a long wait after all for the X1 box BOO

So much for being a long time loyal customer

I'm on the plan right below that which is Triple Play Premiere. The one you are talking about is Triple Play Complete. Weird that they didn't let you get it

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
if it were the time when my price rises I would call and ask about it.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by egeek84:

However, there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out with it. See this recent thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

EDIT: There is also this thread on that forum that discusses current X1 issues: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1383321

I actually haven't noticed any problems like those listed in those threads. The only thing i've noticed is that the recording light is always on but that's hardly a problem for me and can easily be fixed in a future update. Overall, I am very pleased and this was a MUCH needed update. Hope it rolls out to everyone else very soon, you guys will love it!

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to egeek84
said by egeek84:

When you called comcast they did not say no at first?

I wonder why I was not so lucky?

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

Nope I just called and then chose the option for billing. I initially asked the girl if she could transfer me to their loyalty or customer retentions department and she said she was from there and could help me. As soon as I mentioned the X1, she sounded like she knew exactly about it and went on to inform me that it was available but that i'd have to pay the mandatory installation fee. I asked her if she could ask her manager to wave it since we've been with Comcast for many many years and pay over 200 a month for their triple play she came back and was able to give us a discount on it. So yeah, if I were you id ask to be trasnferred to the department that handles cancellations I would imagine they would know more about it and would be inclined to set you up with the X1 if they knew you were contemplating cancellation (not saying u gotta threaten to cancel but it sounds like their department is trained to set customers up with the X1)

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
said by egeek84:

said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

Nope I just called and then chose the option for billing. I initially asked the girl if she could transfer me to their loyalty or customer retentions department and she said she was from there and could help me. As soon as I mentioned the X1, she sounded like she knew exactly about it and went on to inform me that it was available but that i'd have to pay the mandatory installation fee. I asked her if she could ask her manager to wave it since we've been with Comcast for many many years and pay over 200 a month for their triple play she came back and was able to give us a discount on it. So yeah, if I were you id ask to be trasnferred to the department that handles cancellations I would imagine they would know more about it and would be inclined to set you up with the X1 if they knew you were contemplating cancellation (not saying u gotta threaten to cancel but it sounds like their department is trained to set customers up with the X1)

I just called again this time pressed 2 for billing and then ask the nice lady for the retention dept and like you she said she was part of the retention dept and could help me. So I asked about getting the X1 and she new all abouit it and explained that as long as I am a Tripple Play HD subscriber I can indeed get the new X1 box. Only problem was she looked it up and its still not available in my zip code yet. She said it is available in parts of NJ and Delaware but not in the city of Philadelphia as of right now. So even though I heard the radio ad for X1 it not quit here yet. But It sounds like it should not be too much longer. So I think I will try again maybe in a month or 2.

Enjoy your new X1

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA

1 recommendation

awww, i'm sure you'll get it soon enough bud!

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to egeek84
FYI - It looks like some, if not all, areas received a software update for their X1 boxes recently: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···5#M61751

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Some more X1 platform news on the FierceCable site today:

Comcast adding voice controls to X1 Remote apps for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Will allow users to search by speaking program titles, network names

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - December 20, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-12-20

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ
reply to gate1975mlm
Can I trade in my current Comcast HD DVR and Boxes for X1 Boxes?
Do I need to add Comcast Phone service upgrading to a Triple Play to be eligible to get them?
Will they cost more then my current 4 HD Boxes?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
Dan-
In our region right now, you either have to be a brand new customer, or upgrading to a Triple Play package.

I got smacked down from every level of the Comcast hierarchy from the Phone Reps, Social Media manager, Executive Center, and even my friend's boyfriend who is a tech.

Not sure on pricing...
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by egeek84:

FYI - Here are some more recent threads on the Comcast Help and Support Forum on X1 status and issues:

X1 box seems to have quirks
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1511203

XR2 Remote Issue
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1511225

X1 - any status on this "by end of year" update?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1511663

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
thanks for the links telco.

I'll be honest, i've actually ran into the issues above since having the box installed. Issues such as the remote not working sometimes etc. In fact, the box overall is kind of slow when responding to remote commands. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix that. (I still haven't gotten the update that many people reported getting earlier this week) Overall though, it's a small price to pay for having this very pretty guide. I just can't stomach going back to the hideous one before this. I'm not worried though, I understand this box is only now starting to roll out in markets. I'm confident that by this time next year, most of the kinks will be worked out. And of course the beauty with this box is that since it's connected to the cloud, patches can happen more frequently and easily.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

Geek-
Consider yourself lucky you even got them. They won't give them to us on the East coast..
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
JeepMatt,

Given the problems they're having with the X1, I'm in no hurry to get one.

acheck981

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad
The last thread is mine asking where the update is....if anyone has any questions...let me know...but overall it's truly disappointing.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to gate1975mlm
If this thing works over the web, I'm going to assume it's separate from home internet service and uses a DOCSIS modem built into the box. Would the boxes DOCSIS modem be connected to Comcast using it's own internet speed tier and what speed tier would that be? The 305Mbps tier? I would think that would be the best tier possible so the box would function as fast as technologically possible, correct?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mike Wolf:

If this thing works over the web, I'm going to assume it's separate from home internet service and uses a DOCSIS modem built into the box. Would the boxes DOCSIS modem be connected to Comcast using it's own internet speed tier and what speed tier would that be? The 305Mbps tier? I would think that would be the best tier possible so the box would function as fast as technologically possible, correct?

Yeah it does have DOCSIS built in. That's a good question though, i'm curious to find out what speeds it use. Mine loads up everything almost instantly.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
guys i made a brief video review of the x1 here

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIs79Da9vXI

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
omg it's so beautiful!! I could just die it's so good. Would suck if they start showing ads in there. Also does the device have an eSATA port for an external hard drive?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to egeek84
Thanks for the video. Looks much smoother and quicker than DirecTV's new HD UI. I like DirecTV's simplistic UI but the feeling of flow between screen elements of x1 is much better. Gives the system a sense of speed and finesse.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

omg it's so beautiful!! I could just die it's so good. Would suck if they start showing ads in there. Also does the device have an eSATA port for an external hard drive?

It does have an eSATA port but I don't think Comcast has enabled it yet.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Thanks for the video. Looks much smoother and quicker than DirecTV's new HD UI. I like DirecTV's simplistic UI but the feeling of flow between screen elements of x1 is much better. Gives the system a sense of speed and finesse.

The guide does slow down sometimes but overall, it is pretty snappy.

ssetta

join:2003-09-17
Natick, MA
reply to gate1975mlm
This does look pretty good, however, I think I heard somewhere that it is only available for Triple Play customers? I am not one of those, and I really would like to try this, as the current guide is so outdated looking.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ssetta:

This does look pretty good, however, I think I heard somewhere that it is only available for Triple Play customers? I am not one of those, and I really would like to try this, as the current guide is so outdated looking.

Yeah as of right now, it's only available for new and existing triple play subscribers