spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

acheck981

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

The last thread is mine asking where the update is....if anyone has any questions...let me know...but overall it's truly disappointing.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to gate1975mlm
If this thing works over the web, I'm going to assume it's separate from home internet service and uses a DOCSIS modem built into the box. Would the boxes DOCSIS modem be connected to Comcast using it's own internet speed tier and what speed tier would that be? The 305Mbps tier? I would think that would be the best tier possible so the box would function as fast as technologically possible, correct?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mike Wolf:

If this thing works over the web, I'm going to assume it's separate from home internet service and uses a DOCSIS modem built into the box. Would the boxes DOCSIS modem be connected to Comcast using it's own internet speed tier and what speed tier would that be? The 305Mbps tier? I would think that would be the best tier possible so the box would function as fast as technologically possible, correct?

Yeah it does have DOCSIS built in. That's a good question though, i'm curious to find out what speeds it use. Mine loads up everything almost instantly.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
guys i made a brief video review of the x1 here

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIs79Da9vXI

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
omg it's so beautiful!! I could just die it's so good. Would suck if they start showing ads in there. Also does the device have an eSATA port for an external hard drive?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to egeek84
Thanks for the video. Looks much smoother and quicker than DirecTV's new HD UI. I like DirecTV's simplistic UI but the feeling of flow between screen elements of x1 is much better. Gives the system a sense of speed and finesse.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

omg it's so beautiful!! I could just die it's so good. Would suck if they start showing ads in there. Also does the device have an eSATA port for an external hard drive?

It does have an eSATA port but I don't think Comcast has enabled it yet.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Thanks for the video. Looks much smoother and quicker than DirecTV's new HD UI. I like DirecTV's simplistic UI but the feeling of flow between screen elements of x1 is much better. Gives the system a sense of speed and finesse.

The guide does slow down sometimes but overall, it is pretty snappy.

ssetta

join:2003-09-17
Natick, MA
reply to gate1975mlm
This does look pretty good, however, I think I heard somewhere that it is only available for Triple Play customers? I am not one of those, and I really would like to try this, as the current guide is so outdated looking.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ssetta:

This does look pretty good, however, I think I heard somewhere that it is only available for Triple Play customers? I am not one of those, and I really would like to try this, as the current guide is so outdated looking.

Yeah as of right now, it's only available for new and existing triple play subscribers

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

Actually this isn't true from what I was told at the payment office Thursday afternoon. They said that it's available to anyone who wants it, just need to schedule an appointment for a technician to come out to install it. If they're right, it's totally radical!

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 recommendation

The availability of the X1 for existing customers probably varies from area to area right now, according to how many boxes they have on-hand there.

BTW - Here's an article on the X1 from a paper in Chattanooga:

Comcast creation: Cloud-enabled platform brings new way to view TV in Chattanooga area
By Ellis Smith, Chattanooga Times Free Press - December 27, 2012
»www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012···latform/

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I'd definitely consider getting the X1 if I can get the specific specs like hard drive brand and model and capacity, flash and ram capacities, if the eSATA port is active and what it's max supported external hard drive capacity is, what revision of the HDMI port is such as like 1.3a or 1.4b or 2.0 and what type of Ethernet port speed is supported like 10 100 or 1000

On an unrelated note, when the hell are we going to start being allowed to use the DVR Manager feature?

ssetta

join:2003-09-17
Natick, MA
reply to Mike Wolf
I actually just called again, and at first the rep had never even heard of the X1 platform, but then she went to look and said it's not available in my area as of yet. Do you think maybe even within the region it could be available in some areas but not others?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
It's very possible. I've been hearing some commercials on the radio (statewide station) about the X1 platform but nothing in the mail, on bills, in my email, or on tv as of yet, but when I asked at the payment office what was the newest box they had they said the X1 but that they didn't have any in the office and I would have to schedule an appointment for a technician to come out and install it. They didn't know much else about it and I ended up teaching them about it instead lol
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

said by egeek84:

I am in absolute LOVE with this new box!! OH MY GOD! It really is amazing.

Great, good luck with it then.

However, there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out with it. See this recent thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

X1 mini-review from a new customer
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1497369

EDIT: There is also this thread on that forum that discusses current X1 issues: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1383321

FYI - Here are some more recent threads on the Comcast Help and Support Forum on X1 status and issues:

X1 box seems to have quirks
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1511203

XR2 Remote Issue
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1511225

X1 - any status on this "by end of year" update?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1511663

FYI - A new thread was started today on the Comcast Help and Support Forum where X1 users can suggest features that they think are missing/needed:

X1 TV Interface's Missing Features
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1529175

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad
Some news on the Pace RNG150N X1 client box:

Comcast's X1 Gets a Multi-Room Partner
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - January 07, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/dvrs/comcas···40145643

An article about it also on the Multichannel News site: »www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···s/141048

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
FYI - For all you X1 users, from this post (»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···9#M63459) on the Comcast Help and Support Forum, it looks like there's a dedicated X1 support hotline for you to use:
Hey just so you guys know, we have our own dedicated x1 box support line. Three I times I've called someone answered immediately no prompts or computers. It took me by surprise at first. Here it is 877-896-8678.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits
reply to telcodad
ARRIS will also have a new gateway device for the X1 platform on display at this week's CES:

CES: Arris Gets Into Comcast's X1 Mix With Hybrid Gateway
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - January 7, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···y/141054

EDIT: Also see this article:

Comcast All-Service Gateways Go 'Headless'
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - January 7, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/dvrs/comcas···40145704

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad
Another X1 direct number I was given is 720-559-4848

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to gate1975mlm
The X1 platform is available now in my area of South Jersey. But you can't order it unless you have the Triple Play package.
»RE: Comcast launches Xfinity X1 platform in Phila, NJ
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Not sure where you got your information from but from what I've been hearing a triple play package is not required.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by Mike Wolf:

Not sure where you got your information from but from what I've been hearing a triple play package is not required.

Straight from Comcast Sales.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
My info came straight from the X1 support people.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit
said by Mike Wolf:

My info came straight from the X1 support people.

I found many references like this both in Comcast forums and in reviews by web sites:
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404676,00.asp

The new UI will only be available to Triple Play customers - those who get voice, TV, and Internet.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M55222
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
*shrugs* not what I was told. Also was told its available to double play customers when I was at the payment center asking questions and picking up a new RNG200N DVR when my SA8300HD failed.

I edited this post to clearify

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
The following 01/09/2013 excerpt is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" blog

. . .
quote:
The X1 Experience is the eventual goal for all of our high-end cable boxes regardless of geography or existing plant infrastructure. We do have the X1 Guide running in customer homes in SA-Cisco areas of New Hampshire and with employees in SA-Cisco areas in New Jersey.

. . .
See »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Things have changed since this was posted with the X1 Guide now officially available to Comcast customers in SA-Cisco areas in New Jersey. I think there was a soft launch when this was posted.

The requirements for getting the X1 box have been lowered since the Boston release last Spring. At that point it was only for "new" triple play customers. Later it became available for existing triple play customers. I think the requirements will keep being lowered so Ted's eventual goal will be reached.

It might take a while for the reduced requirements to filter through Comcast sales organization so keep checking with Comcast
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

Floppy

join:2002-07-03
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

*shrugs* not what I was told. Also was told its available to double play customers at the payment center.

You were incorrect advised: The X1 is currently only for new triple play customers and it requires a truck roll. The payment centers do not have the box in their inventory.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
What X1 customer and technical support told me was that originally X1 service was only going to be for new triple play customers but because so many current Comcast customers were asking for it, they decided to allow all Comcast subscribers regardless if they were single double or triple packaged available. I was told this at the end of December when I was transferred to the X1 department on the phone (yes they have a dedicated department for X1) because I wanted to find out everything and the regular customer support rep didn't know.

I know it requires a truck roll as I've mentioned that before on here. I know the payment centers do not have the X1 boxes in inventory as I've also mentioned that before on here:

»Re: [X1] X1, to get or not to get...cost?

--

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
any news yet on when keystone area (western pa, northern west virginia and eastern ohio) will get the x1 box? I will jump on it in a heartbeat when it is released.