how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gt1racer

join:2008-11-19
Fall River, MA
reply to gate1975mlm

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

So basically June 6th Current Triple Play Customers in Eastern MA could get the X1 Box at their local Comcast center via pickup?

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to chadb97
Not sure about the new Motorola RNG boxes, but there is a thread in this forum on On-Screen Guide 2.0 for older ones: »[STB] On-Screen Guide 2.0+ on Motorola (legacy) boxes?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
What are the differences between On-Screen Guide 2.0 and the X1 Guide?

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to gt1racer
No pickup , tech is needed for install.

Not sure about current customers getting it. Comcast doesn't want to roll trucks when they feel it is "unneeded".

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Russ6
said by Russ6:

from what i can tell, on-screen guide 2.0 is for selected SA-Cisco areas and X1 is for selected motorola areas (X1 probably used to be called on screen guide 3.0).

some links to compare:

Guide 2.0 »info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/···ult.aspx

X1
»x1.comcast.net/webportal/

»blog.comcast.com/2012/05/watch-c···iew.html

NHHD99

join:2009-10-17
Hampton, NH
reply to gate1975mlm
I live in Hampton, NH which is part of Greater Boston, where this X1 Platform is supposed to be available. So I did an online chat this afternoon, June 4, to find out if I could get this. After getting transferred to 4 different customer service people, and having to explain to one of them that I was NOT talking about a Home Security System, I was finally told that the new guide and boxes were only available in Augusta (must have meant Georgia) and in Foxboro, MA, and they were "adding new areas all the time". Not sure if the final guy knew exactly that I was talking about a new cable box and guide but he was insistent that it was not available in my town but only in Foxboro.

gt1racer

join:2008-11-19
Fall River, MA
reply to gate1975mlm
What a bummer, i was really thinking i could get my hands on the new box but only new customers get it.

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to The Q
said by The Q:

said by Russ6:

from what i can tell, on-screen guide 2.0 is for selected SA-Cisco areas and X1 is for selected motorola areas (X1 probably used to be called on screen guide 3.0).

some links to compare:

Guide 2.0 »info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/···ult.aspx

X1
»x1.comcast.net/webportal/

»blog.comcast.com/2012/05/watch-c···iew.html

I think the new guides will eventually be available in both Motororola and SA/Cisco areas based on the following comments in Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

quote:
. . .

Other SA/Cisco areas that are in states that I have not listed above are not currently targeted for On-Screen Guide 2.0 this year and some of those areas (that I have not listed) may get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (also called the X1 guide) this year or next year.

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common guide starting in 2013 to provide a consistent experience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Russ | April 18, 2012 2:08 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-45967
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to aguiar0016
Confirmed: New triple play customers only because of low inventory. Tech install is required. no self install.

Current customers will be offered the X1 DVR at a later date.

JasonWw

@comcast.net
No offense, but FIOS has been offering this type of service years ago. Now with Xfinity you need all new equipment, DVR service, tech install, ect. Give me a break, I am so glad I switched to FIOS a while ago.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to aguiar0016
go figure. Give the new customers the new equipment but heck with your curent long time devoted and loyal customers.

NHHD99

join:2009-10-17
Hampton, NH
reply to gate1975mlm
This is a link to an article that in the April 7 edition of the Boston Globe. Apparently the Technology writer was able to have this new X1 Platform installed but no one else can:

»www.bostonglobe.com/1970/01/17/t···ory.html

JoeSammamish

join:2009-06-10
Sammamish, WA
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

go figure. Give the new customers the new equipment but heck with your curent long time devoted and loyal customers.

Cut Comcast a little slack. It will take them a while for Comcast to build up inventory of the new boxes. I can't blame Comcast for not wanting a big run on a limited supply of boxes.

Also, I think most of the DCX series boxes are Tru2Way capable and so they should be able to run the new guide. If so, it would make sense that Comcast would want to avoid truck rolls to deliver new boxes to existing customers if the new guide is close to being deployed on their existing boxes.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

said by mikedz4:

Is there a website for x1?

Even though the X1 platform should have been officially launched in Boston now, I have not found an official, supporting webpage for it on Comcast's site yet.

aguiar0016 just posted this on another thread:

Just found this new website for the X1 platform: »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
So does anyone know if X1 provides Anyroom DVR functionality?

So, if I were a new customer signing up, would only my DVR be on the X1 software and my other 2 HD boxes would have the A28 guide?
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to telcodad
I don't really car that much about the guide features- I want the extra tuner(s), although I suspect the three tuner limit is due to signal level problems.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to JeepMatt
That's a good question. Better yet, could you have X1 in all of your rooms, and they all talk to eachother?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to owlyn
or maybe box CPU power or the box useing tuner 4 for data?

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

So does anyone know if X1 provides Anyroom DVR functionality?

So, if I were a new customer signing up, would only my DVR be on the X1 software and my other 2 HD boxes would have the A28 guide?

quote:
An industry source says the first multi-room DVR implementation involving the X1 will team the hybrid device with the RNG150, an all-digital HD client box from Motorola Mobility Inc. (NYSE: MMI), with trials expected late this year.
The previous excerpt is from:

Comcast Sizes Up All-IP Set-Top

By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 4, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···r_cable&

telecodad posted excerpts from this article at:

»Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed
--
Links:

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to JeepMatt
No Anyroom functions.

Good question, i'm going to guess yes. Let me see if I can get a better answer for you.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to Joe12345678
Why does Pace say the box have six tuners? Is Comcast deactivating 3 of them?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
said by Zoder:

Yes.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to JeepMatt
Jeep, only the DVR will be X1 the others would be on the current guide.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to owlyn
said by owlyn:

said by Zoder:

Yes.

That's disappointing. At least it's something they could change with a future software update.

ric

@spcsdns.net
Denver will be 2nd market to get X1(July/August)

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
still no news on the pittsburgh area. I know they said probably not this year but I'm still holding out hope

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to gate1975mlm
Found this X1 review online (complete with video and images) from someone (presumably in Boston).

»bwone.com/comcast-x1-box-an-in-depth-look/

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
nice find.

It defintely is from the Boston area the channel guide matches mine, It sounds like a Comcast Employee explaining it because he references as what "we" have done.

Russ6

Houston, TX
said by aguiar0016:

nice find.

It defintely is from the Boston area the channel guide matches mine, It sounds like a Comcast Employee explaining it because he references as what "we" have done.

I don't think he is a Comcast Employee. He says he likes to review high tech gadgets. Also, he is waiting to get his "review" X1 installed so a lot of the information is from Comcast and not from using the X1 box.
--
Links:

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
The one holding doing the recording is the person into reviews and such. The other guy I believe is a Comcast employee.