uniqs
share rss forum feed

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

[Internet] Ordering 50/50

Hey folks,

I recently came across a deal at dell.ca. $30 dollars gets you a code in which you can activate a new line for 3 months. The 50/50 package is available so I am going to go for it.

I have a few questions:

Last summer I got 25/7. When I cancelled they said a tech was going to come by the house and take the pots splitter out. No one ever showed up to do it so it is still there.

Does the 50/50 service use that?

What modem do they provide with the service? Does it have built in wireless?

Thanks,

Poser

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

I would have to say that 50/50 would be a fttn service...is fiber available in your area? The pots splitter does not need to be removed.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

kovy

join:2009-03-26

said by Glen1:

I would have to say that 50/50 would be a fttn service...is fiber available in your area? The pots splitter does not need to be removed.

Im sure you meant ftth service.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
reply to Poser

Oops yes I meant to say ftth yes thanks...that is the only way to get 50/50 from what I understand.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Poser

AFAIK, Bell is focusing FTTH roll-outs where VDSL2 is not available. If you already have 25/7 on VDSL2, I'm quite surprised you are eligible for 50/50 which would be only on FTTH.

If Bell installed an ONT ("modem") + UPS + router combo in your basement when you ordered 25/7 then you already have FTTH and equipment will remain as-is for 50/50.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON

said by InvalidError:

AFAIK, Bell is focusing FTTH roll-outs where VDSL2 is not available. If you already have 25/7 on VDSL2, I'm quite surprised you are eligible for 50/50 which would be only on FTTH.

If Bell installed an ONT ("modem") + UPS + router combo in your basement when you ordered 25/7 then you already have FTTH and equipment will remain as-is for 50/50.

out of curiosity, i just checked my availability. i can get the 25/7 (or whatever they're bumping it up to, 30/10?), but not the 50/50 or 175/175.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Poser

Click for full size
fib vs fiber
50/50 is FTTH.

Micha3615

join:2004-08-21
Mississauga, ON
reply to Poser

50/50 and 175/175 are only available in certain new condos or new area's.

I told them they should say or tell us on the site that it's not available for everyone. Even the 25/10, my line can only get up to 8Mbps.

They said also that only certain area can have 10 Mbps. Yet again Bell has failed again, maybe I should go back to NB and get the real stuff.

kovy

1 edit

said by Micha3615:

50/50 and 175/175 are only available in certain new condos or new area's.

I told them they should say or tell us on the site that it's not available for everyone. Even the 25/10, my line can only get up to 8Mbps.

They said also that only certain area can have 10 Mbps. Yet again Bell has failed again, maybe I should go back to NB and get the real stuff.

Did Bell promise you guaranteed speed?

When I put my phone or address, I don't even see fibe50 / 175.

Also... "Available to residential customers in Québec, where access and technology permit. " is in the price disclaimer.

Micha3615

Mississauga, ON

Nope, they said it's up to 10Mbps and it's not guaranteed. The tech that I was talking too said that each area is different on what up speed they can have.

Disclaimer: 1.Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 3 Mbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds.

Me when I enter my address I do see it and this is my disclaimer: Available to residential customers in Ontario, where access and technology permit.

I'm in Mississauga fyi..

kovy

said by Micha3615:

Nope, they said it's up to 10Mbps and it's not guaranteed. The tech that I was talking too said that each area is different on what up speed they can have.

Disclaimer: 1.Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 3 Mbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds.

Me when I enter my address I do see it and this is my disclaimer: Available to residential customers in Ontario, where access and technology permit.

I'm in Mississauga fyi..

Exactly, where technology permits... So I guess Bell did tell you now didn't they?

Micha3615

Mississauga, ON

said by kovy:

said by Micha3615:

I'm in Mississauga fyi..

Exactly, where technology permits... So I guess Bell did tell you now didn't they?

Yes they did, because I did ask that question, it's only in the new houses being built and some condos that have Fiber optic running in them.

kovy

said by Micha3615:

said by kovy:

said by Micha3615:

I'm in Mississauga fyi..

Yes they did, because I did ask that question, it's only in the new houses being built and some condos that have Fiber optic running in them.

And areas where the network is being upgraded, like Quebec city.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to kovy

I don't think the availability tool on Bell's website is up to date. It says my address in Scarborough can get 175/175 but my development is old and Bell hasn't done any work here since they rolled out FTTN over two years ago.

Poser

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

I called to place my order. Apparently the dell promotion only allows for a 5/1 or a 15/10 package to be installed. The 25/10 is not a part of the promotion.

When I asked if 50/50 was even available on my line, the lady said it was not. I pointed out the fact that the web tool said it was and that's why I was placing my order. Alas, she couldn't do anything so I opted for the 15/10 package.

pducharme

join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC

My friend ordered a Fibe 25/7 in Laval using the Dell Package (4 months for 29$). He only had to pay a minimal fee for the 25Mbps, also, at our surprise, it was a FTTH setup! They came install all this new stuff for the 29$ + I think 50$!

pducharme

join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC
reply to Poser

If you refer to that, the girl at bell misinformed you :

»accessories.dell.com/sna/product···teSearch

As you can see, all plans are available! And it's 14.99$ currently!

Poser

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

She said the promotion on the Dell page has not been updated. Maybe I'll call in and find out. I signed up for 15/10mbps, but I am getting 25/10mbps.

I'll take it! Just wondering if my usage would be 125gb instead of 75gb now. Should I post in the direct forum to find out?

kovy

Why don't you just go check your cap usage in your bell account...

Anonymuss

@rogers.com
reply to Micha3615

said by Micha3615:

Before you get everyone's hopes up, if you look here...

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Produc···ions.tab

...under features, it says...

"Download speeds from 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps"
"Upload speeds from 680 Kbps to 10 Mbps"

...or under pricing details...

"Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell.
Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds."

So, Fibe 15/10 can either be sold to you either on ADSL2+ with the 800/1088kbps upload, or on VDSL2 with the 1-10Mbps upload.

The download speed can be anywhere from 10-15 to be considered getting what you're paying for.

All depends on what type of equipment is in your area, and what type of ports are available at the moment your order is assigned to a field tech.

Poser

reply to kovy

Genius! Made an account. It says I have...... Fibe 25/10. Wonderbar!!!

Thanks! Now they better not bill me for it.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

If it says you have Fibe 25 you will be billed Fibe 25 lol

Maybe you can wait for your first invoice but I would call in and ask them to change it
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

Poser

Thank you Sage of Wisdom. Your advice is sound. Its too good to be true. I will call in and ask!