Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RubberDucky

@cox.net

[GA] Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting

Click for full size
Click for full size

Hello, I am a pretty tech savvy individual and a server admin in the Air Force. So I am stuck living in the dorms on base and using Cox HSI. Up till now it has been pretty sweet speed-wise(I have the 20mbps package), but I am suddenly getting some major issues. Modems are definitely far from my specialty.

I first Really started to notice the issues at the release of Diablo 3. I am getting some major lag often followed by complete disconnects where the modem reboots. So I started troubleshooting. Unplugged/plugged modem, did factory reset of modem, clean virus scans, bypassed router and plugged PC directly into the modem, called Cox.

So to avoid a possibly costly service call I bought new modem, same model, swapped it, connected it to my account, same exact issues as before. Same modem logs too. The logs are below along with all the info I usually see requested on help sites for this stuff. Also: I just did a speed test that shows far slower speeds than I used to get...

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

• What MODEM is it? A MOTO?

• What did Cox say?

They can run a line check to see if there are any issues along the way. Cox can also monitor your line to see if something is causing this on a sporadic basis.

Just because you swaped the MODEM, you used the same make and model. So, you cannot rule out the MODEM as the problem.

If I had to guess, looking at what you posted, it looks like an upstream SNR issue. Cox can see this at the CMTS.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

RubberDucky

@cox.net

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well Ive got a Moto SB5101U and thats what those logs were from. I went out and bought a different Moto SB(I hear they are good) I got the same model but took it back after reading your post and testing it so I got a SB6121 and here are what the logs look like from it, Ive called Cox so many freaking times. Their support knows nothing about my issues and all they want to do is send a tech, which they might have to do soon. I cancelled my service call i had scheduled because i removed the splitter i had plugged in from when I had cable in the past. It seemed to work fine last night, but here are the logs from the new modem. You can see it get registered and then not long after it starts the errors.

AnonGuy

@cox.net

Any chance you are using the same Power adapter for all of the modems?

Are you plugging them into the same spot?

Can you plug the modem in somewhere other than the power strip with everything else?

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to RubberDucky

What speeds are you getting with the new MODEM?

I don't see the SYNC Timing failure error. That is good.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to RubberDucky

Your upstream power level seems to be a tad low especially being where it is in your 2nd set of screenshots it should be at least in the mid 40s
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Where your phone dreams come true!