Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Which Modem Will I Get With New Service?

I am moving to a home where CableOne provides the fastest speeds (up to 50/2). I have a number of wireless computers and devices, and am currently bridging my CenturyLink (current ISP) Modem through a Linksys E4200v2 Router.

I want to make sure that whichever modem I get from CableOne, I'll be able to also bridge it through my E4200v2.

slimmy
@cableone.net

slimmy

Anon

make sure to read the fine print. they have a 50 gig cap on their 50mb plan. Then they charge you overages.

cableonehs
@cableone.net

cableonehs to lordpuffer

Anon

to lordpuffer
I requested a replacement modem a few weeks ago and they gave me a new Arris TG862G.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by cableonehs :

I requested a replacement modem a few weeks ago and they gave me a new Arris TG862G.

Does that modem allow me to bridge it to my Linksys Router? Thanks.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to slimmy

Premium Member

to slimmy
said by slimmy :

make sure to read the fine print. they have a 50 gig cap on their 50mb plan. Then they charge you overages.

Thanks, yes I know. I believe that if you bundle Internet, Phone and Cable, they give you a 100 Gig Cap. Still, that's pretty low, and I'll still probably end up paying for overages.
Graycode
join:2006-04-17

Graycode

If you buy CableOne's wireless version then "bridging" might be applicable because the modem contains a router. You probably don't want that since you'll want to continue using your E4200v2.

Without the wireless option they'll rent you an Arris TM802G, and "bridging" doesn't apply. Your Linksys will get a WAN IP via DHCP and you'll be all set.

Well ... almost all set. On CableOne you can't see the usual modem status pages at »192.168.100.1 on the model TM802G like you can with other cable modems & models. It responds to pings to that IP but it won't respond to a browser. Apparently they provision it that way.

So ... I had them give me an older TM602G just so I can see the modem's information pages & logs and thereby quickly determine whether some problem is on my side or theirs.

On the 50/2 plan I was able to speed-test at about 40mbps with their TM802G (DOCSIS 3). With the TM602G I get 35mbps (DOCSIS 2).

If you already own a cable modem then it will probably work on CableOne. But if you're buying their phone package too then you'll probably have to get one of their Arris models.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the great info. Yes, I'm going to get the phone package also, so I'll have to get an Arris model. After I made the original post, I was able to find out which Modem's they have, and it seems that it's the Arris with Telephony ability that I would need, and that there are 2 of them with that functionality. I believe each is also a Router.

If that is the case, I should be able to bridge it.

couser
@cableone.net

couser to lordpuffer

Anon

to lordpuffer
CableOne has a list of modems on their site

»help.cableone.net/hsd/mo ··· ied.aspx

I'm using a Linksys CM100 and I'm looking to replace it. Can't tell which of the DOCSIS 3 are worth getting. I don't need a Arris since I won't be using their phone service.
XIII
Premium Member
join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Motorolas are the best to use. Even CableOne techs tell you not to use an arris for both Internet and phone, though I do hear its a pain to get them to let you separate, but not impossible.

D3 modems are good only if you have issues in your area such as an over saturated (congestion) node as the D3 tech allows for more data channels and frequencies that are not available for D2 modems.

Also you can use an alarm with their phone service even if you have smoke/fire/carbon.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks to both of you for the info.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to Graycode

Premium Member

to Graycode
I forgot to ask you after your post. Is it only the Arris TM802G where you cannot access the modem status page?

How about the other Arris models? The wireless ones with Telephony. You have to have access to the modem status page with those so that you can bridge it, would that be correct?
Graycode

Graycode

Yes, as far as I know only the TM802G doesn't allow access to the modem status page. I think it's due to the way CableOne provisions them.

The cable modem models with wireless have an internal router, and access to them by consumers is required for things like port forwarding. But I don't know about their ability to be "bridged" with your other router. Most often I hear "bridging" in relation to DSL services vs. the different way that cable networks operate.

Since you have your E4200v2 it's unclear why you'd want a cable modem that also has wireless and an internal router. You may have shopped for certain features when buying your Linksys router, yet the one that's built into the cable modem may or may not be to your liking.

Anyway, good luck & hope you get good service where you're going.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Graycode:

Since you have your E4200v2 it's unclear why you'd want a cable modem that also has wireless and an internal router.

I don't really need or want a Modem that is also a Wireless Router. I believe from reading about it that I just may have to get one so that I can get Phone service with them.

If I have to get a Modem/Router, I still want to hook my network up so that I am using my E4200v2 for all routing functions, and the Arris just for it's Modem function. I do that now with DSL, and it's called Transparent Bridging. I thought it would be the same with Cable. I'll look further into it. Thanks.

helpfultech1
@cableone.net

helpfultech1

Anon

Bridging is only necessary if the modem has a router built in. Since you have your own router, just request a modem that doesn't have an internal router. Your separate routing device will work 1000% better than any combined device no matter the manufacturer.

Non-Wireless Arris Models:

All of these are supported and offered by Cable One: »help.cableone.net/HSD/Mo ··· ied.aspx
Graycode

Graycode to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I don't really need or want a Modem that is also a Wireless Router. I believe from reading about it that I just may have to get one so that I can get Phone service with them.

I have their phone bundle too. The Arris models that they've provided don't have (and I didn't want) wireless in the cable modem. The TM802G was fine, but I wanted access to the modem's status page. So I went back to the TM602G. Both of those have the phone option and don't have wireless (or an internal router). 'helpfultech1' lists a few other models above.

If you get a cable modem model that has wireless access, it also has an internal router. Then you'd have to concern yourself with that internal router's capabilities vs. the one you already own.
said by lordpuffer:

I do that now with DSL, and it's called Transparent Bridging. I thought it would be the same with Cable. I'll look further into it.

Here's a more few bits about cable modems:

A cable modem provides you with a RJ45 ethernet port. Whatever you plug into there will use standard DHCP to get a WAN IP address. No special software is needed (or desired) for your router or PC.

There is no run-time user id and password like there is with DSL. However, the cable modem's serial number / MAC address must be known to CableOne or else they won't allow it to get service on their network. They associate that modem's MAC with your account. If you brought in your own personal cable modem you'd have to call CableOne to tell them its MAC address.

CableOne "provisions" (configures) the cable modem to operate on their network, this happens when the modem powers on. Part of that provisioning indicates the maximum speed of your service. If you get the 50/2 service, it will be the cable modem that throttles your speed. You can't change any aspect of that provisioning yourself.

Normally there's status pages for your cable modem that responds to browsers at »192.168.100.1 . Most customers don't care about that, they're better off to call for support when something isn't working right.

Often a cable modem is provisioned to respond to a maximum of 1 device. They limit devices so that they don't give out too many WAN IP's. When you plug something different into the cable modem's ethernet port then you may have to power off the modem for a minute or so in order to clear out the device that it previously remembered.

In order to have phone service with CableOne then you'll also have a cable modem model with a RJ11 phone jack on it. The phone service is a form of VOIP. It's operates on a different logical network than your other internet usage, so using the phone doesn't accumulate your byte-count data usage limit. One special feature of those modems is their ability to keep the phone portion alive for a while during a power outage. They have a battery in them. They can't keep the rest of your internet service alive, only the phone portion.

To provide phone service for a whole house, the RJ11 phone jack gets connected to an existing house wall jack. Then the exterior connection that went to the telephone company is disconnected. If the house has old non-standard wiring then that might not work.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thank you both helpfultech1 and Graycode.