Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit

[Rant] Sick of Construction

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they didn't block huge swaths of roadway and actually work.

For example,35/115 from the 401 to CR 3 about 2.5km, is reduced to 1 lane in each direction. Due to the timing of my cottage trip and return I didn't get stuck in any traffic (I'd hate to have been on that highway Monday night ).

The thing here and many other places is NOBODY IS WORKING, nobody worked Friday night, nobody was working Tuesday afternoon on the way home.

I still fail to understand why these highway jobs can't go 24/7 like they do in the US. Or at the very least 2 shifts.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
If it's anything like road work in Ottawa (they've been closing streets to rebuild the sewer system), some construction companies take on too much work - they have several sites but can't work on all of them at once, so you have blocked streets with no one working on them for several days in a row.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
its a mess here in town...several of the major roads are blocked from early May to the end of August (which will end up being the end of October the way things always run late here)...i know drive about 15 km the wrong way to get to work to avoid driving through town when i can...surprisingly, my now 80km daily commute often takes less time than driving through town normally.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to elwoodblues
Hah, you should've tried living in St. Catharines a few years back, where they seemed to coordinate work in an effort to block the ability of anyone to get from one side of the city to the other side of the city within 45 minutes.

I blew a gasket one day, when every detour I knew of was backed up with construction and I realized I was stuck in Construction City of Hell

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
Same problem around HRM... With some streets down to one lane and buses stopping to pick up passengers it's making for some stop & go traffic, more so then regular...

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to elwoodblues
35/115 was under construction last year from about Durham Hwy 2 north to the Petro-Can with regular lane closures and it didn't seem to have much effect.

Hwy 115 within Kawartha Lakes also had scrape & paving going on through the fall and it had a medium impact.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

its a mess here in town...

Business as usual for we-hate-freeways London.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to elwoodblues
i thought you were taking the back roads

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Last Parade
It's not so much traffic (I suspect the smart folks went across Taunton Road), but the lake of any bloody progress. They work "9-5", no nights, no weekends, no holidays, and sometimes I question the work "9-5" part too.

24/7 construction, I fail to understand in these days of high unemployment, why there isn't more effort do so. I know there is a finite budget, but if we had 24/7 construction, more projects would get accomplished and more people would be employed.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to koira
I came down at 2pm on Tuesday, who needs back roads on a Tuesday afternoon.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Apparently you

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
Take the hint, we block the roads to keep you Toronto types out and from clogging up our roads.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Apparently you

?? I didn't use any backroads, came straight down to the 401.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Take the hint, we block the roads to keep you Toronto types out and from clogging up our roads.

Us "Toronto types" are what keeps little hick towns like yours alive with our money.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
A couple extra dozen worms and a few beers purchased by you people hardly effects our local economy and lowers our quality of life.

GO AWAY ALREADY!

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to elwoodblues
i get woken up by construction all the time... they don't care about the general public... as soon as the sun is out, they start working.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

A couple extra dozen worms and a few beers purchased by you people hardly effects our local economy and lowers our quality of life.

GO AWAY ALREADY!

More then a "few" beers, and a dozen worms, trust me.
I returned close to 170 empty cans(yeah we drank alot), and I guess we won't talk about the groceries that were purchased at "Cottage" pricing either.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
Just what Peterborough needs more drunken louts,as if we don't have enough, and creating lineups at the beer and grocery store to boot.

Markie
INTJ

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to elwoodblues
Poor muffin, and it isn't even June yet.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

i get woken up by construction all the time... they don't care about the general public... as soon as the sun is out, they start working.

City of Hamilton BY-LAW NO. 11-285 states,

quote:
PROHIBITIONS

3.(1) No person shall make or permit to be made:
(a) an unreasonable noise; or
(b) a noise that is likely to disturb the inhabitants of the City.

(2) Without limiting the generality of section 3, noise from the sources listed in paragraphs 3(2)(a) to 3(2)(h) is deemed to be an unreasonable noise or a noise that is likely to disturb the inhabitants of the City:

(lots of other points here)

h) construction or loading that is clearly audible at a point of reception between 10p.m. of one day and 7 a.m. of the next day.

So, if they're not caring about the general public and starting before 7 AM, they're breaking a bylaw and you can get them shut down.

Happened once in St. Catharines when I lived down town, construction started at 6 AM and after about a week I had enough, made a phone call and they were starting at 7:00 AM on the dot every day after that.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

said by dirtyjeffer:

its a mess here in town...

Business as usual for we-hate-freeways London.

Yup...it has been like this for as long as I can remember. The 401 and 402 are my ring road now, which is pretty sad.