uniqs
share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

[CDV] Question with Phone Jacks

As noted in another thread, I switched my local phone service from AT&T to Comcast Digital Voice.

Today was the day that my current number was ported over from AT&T. So far, things are working, but I do have a few questions. I do want to point out that if some of these questions have to do with a wait time, it is current 10:06 AM local. I got things working at 9:30 AM local today.

First, how quickly does it take for the caller id feature to start working on the TV's and Computer? I have installed the software on my computer, but it does not appear to work. I have also turned on all three tv's in the house (each has their own Cable TV Box), and none of them display the caller ID on the screen when a call comes in.

Next, I have a Thomson Internet and Voice Cable Modem (model # DHG536). On the back of the modem are two RJ11 phone jacks. My question here is, is each jack a separate phone line (ie two separate incoming phone numbers), or is it two jacks for the same line (like a splitter). I can only get a phone to work in Jack #1. If I plug a phone into Jack #2, I get nothing.

Finally, how can I disable the voice mail feature? I currently have a phone in my house with a built-in answering machine, and I would like to continue to use it. I did a quick Google search on this specific question, and it appears that I have to call Comcast to get that turned off. Before I do that, I wanted to check here first to see if there was another way (setting on the Comcast webpage for example), to completely turn off the voice mail feature.

Thanks in advance for any help! If someone needs more information, I'll be happy to provide it.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

trythisfirst

@comcast.net

48 hours for the caller id to start working, if it still does not work after this time call in to customer service.

Line 1 and line 2 out are for separate phone numbers.

Call customer service to take voice mail off the account. It could have been disabled when you ordered had you asked, but oh well.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to plencnerb

Great! Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll give Comcast customer service a call and have them turn off the voice mail feature. I did not know it was on by default (thought it was something I would have to setup if I wanted it), which is why I did not say anything to them when I first set it up.

--Brian